"Monsters"="Soul Monster": new information from Marco Beltrami leaves no room for doubt

I found a collection of somgs on youtube, i wont  give the link but the cover is kind of a cool pretend guns n roses type of look with a bunch of berries on it. Well there are some unreleased old ones on there but a few ive never heard or forgot about. Maybe from the locker leaks. One song the hook says “i still remember or know your name” cant rememeber. Slow grinding similar style to monsters and general. There is one other  song on there that definitely is cd era sounding that was unfamilar to me on the back end of the 30 minutes or so.  The album is listed as new gnr 2023 and hasnt been taken down since august. Can anyone name the 2 songs im refering to

4 minutes ago, Richardparkerjr26 said:

I found a collection of somgs on youtube, i wont  give the link but the cover is kind of a cool pretend guns n roses type of look with a bunch of berries on it. Well there are some unreleased old ones on there but a few ive never heard or forgot about. Maybe from the locker leaks. One song the hook says “i still remember or know your name” cant rememeber. Slow grinding similar style to monsters and general. There is one other  song on there that definitely is cd era sounding that was unfamilar to me on the back end of the 30 minutes or so.  The album is listed as new gnr 2023 and hasnt been taken down since august. Can anyone name the 2 songs im refering to

Yes, they are from the locker leaks. The first song you described is called State of Grace. I don't know about the other, since you didn't provide any description.

• 5 months later...

Still can't believe this isn't called soul monster. Such a better title. as was elvis presley and the monster of soul. even leave me alone. urghhhh this only happens when you wait 21 years to release it. 

25 minutes ago, izzyjim said:

Enjoy the track and quit batching about its title. For all I care they can name it "monster mash" or "fluffy monster's dick", who gives a flying fuck about the title..

while not a big deal, and more of a small detail, some people that are not you care about such things and imho it's valid and this is the place to express opinions like that. it's possible to bitch about the title and still enjoy the song.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, izzyjim said:

Enjoy the track and quit batching about its title. For all I care they can name it "monster mash" or "fluffy monster's dick", who gives a flying fuck about the title..

Fluffy Monster's Dick would be an awesome title. And the cover art could be something like Grover from Sesamy Street with a huge erection. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rovim said:

while not a big deal, and more of a small detail, some people that are not you care about such things and imho it's valid and this is the place to express opinions like that. it's possible to bitch about the title and still enjoy the song.

But it would be lame to dislike the song because of the title. 

• Like 1

Has there been any mention of the title Monsters other than the file name on the leaked track? Time will tell regardless when it officially drops, keeping 'Chicken Dinner' in mind here! Phenomenal tune. Phenomenal vox. More of it please, Axl!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dean said:

Has there been any mention of the title Monsters other than the file name on the leaked track? Time will tell regardless when it officially drops, keeping 'Chicken Dinner' in mind here! Phenomenal tune. Phenomenal vox. More of it please, Axl!

Yeah I think when it was registered (through ASCAP?) it was as 'The General & Monsters'  I think that's how it was worded, @Blackstar found it I think.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

Yeah I think when it was registered (through ASCAP?) it was as 'The General & Monsters'  I think that's how it was worded, @Blackstar found it I think.

Forgot about that! Odd that it was registered as one track, I seem to recall people thinking Monsters was initially the orchestral part of The General or something. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

It was registered as "The General and Monsters" on SESAC (which collects publishing royalties for Axl) and other databases that got the data from Universal (which has Axl's publishing).

On GMR, though (which collects royalties for Slash and Duff) it has been registered just as "The General" (It should be on BMI, too, which collects royalties for Brain and his friends, but it hasn't appeared there yet).

So I think your theory that the songs were registered together so that UMG could take down Monsters as The General (without giving away that it's a different song) is very plausible.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It was registered as "The General and Monsters" on SESAC (which collects publishing royalties for Axl) and other databases that got the data from Universal (which has Axl's publishing).

On GMR, though (which collects royalties for Slash and Duff) it has been registered just as "The General" (It should be on BMI, too, which collects royalties for Brain and his friends, but it hasn't appeared there yet).

So I think your theory that the songs were registered together so that UMG could take down Monsters as The General (without giving away that it's a different song) is very plausible.

Yeah it was the only thing that really made sense at that time. If correct then it's kind of weird that recreations of monsters by Evader and others might have made them change how they registered it.

Of course when Evader made that song he titled it The General, & so did I with that video I did where i tried to pick out the lyrics. Ironically the only word I did get right was 'Monsters' lol In retrospect I should have figured it out from that.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 3:43 AM, gavgnr said:

Soul Monster is a better name, let’s be honest 

I still have it in my phone as Soul Monster. We only waited 15 years to hear it from the first time Axl mentioned it. 

18 hours ago, Arnuld said:

I still have it in my phone as Soul Monster. We only waited 15 years to hear it from the first time Axl mentioned it. 

15 years! Axl really does live in his own little world. 

On 4/6/2024 at 10:29 PM, JimiRose said:

Still can't believe this isn't called soul monster. Such a better title. as was elvis presley and the monster of soul. even leave me alone. urghhhh this only happens when you wait 21 years to release it. 

Leave Me Alone, was that the alternative name for Monsters or General? 

3 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Leave Me Alone, was that the alternative name for Monsters or General? 

The bridge in "Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul aka The Soul Monster (working title Leave Me Alone)" which will no doubt end up "Soul Monster". I think it's our most Black Sabbath moment. Sang it on a Christmas eve. Imo the meanest section of anything I've sung to date. Which having said that I'm sure when it's heard others may disagree but we felt it was a Christmas card of unadulterated venom so to speak. I felt a lot better afterwards. (Axl Rose , Here Today... Gone to Hell Forum, Dec. 2008)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

The bridge in "Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul aka The Soul Monster (working title Leave Me Alone)" which will no doubt end up "Soul Monster". I think it's our most Black Sabbath moment. Sang it on a Christmas eve. Imo the meanest section of anything I've sung to date. Which having said that I'm sure when it's heard others may disagree but we felt it was a Christmas card of unadulterated venom so to speak. I felt a lot better afterwards. (Axl Rose , Here Today... Gone to Hell Forum, Dec. 2008)

That's so rock n roll. Love EP title. Thanks 

On 4/7/2024 at 1:41 AM, Rovim said:

Speaking of which, has anyone discussed why Locomotive was sub-titled "Complicity"?

On 4/7/2024 at 4:46 AM, username said:

Fluffy Monster's Dick would be an awesome title. And the cover art could be something like Grover from Sesamy Street with a huge erection. 

No, the cover art would be the ape picture Fernando sent Kat.