Do you still listen to Evader's The General?

Do you still listen to Evader's The General?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, F*ck Fear said:

No disrespect to Evader because he does great work but I never listened to his version of The General.

I had no interest in listening to an interpretation of a song that was heard through a shitty cellphone recording from 2010.

My thoughts exactly with all due respect to Evader.

• Like 1

I had low expectations of The General and this version was a big part of the reason - I don't mean Evader's work of "reconstructing" the phone clip, which was amazing as such, but the actual "song" that came of it.

But Monsters exceeded my expectations by far.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

No disrespect to Evader because he does great work but I never listened to his version of The General.

I had no interest in listening to an interpretation of a song that was heard through a shitty cellphone recording from 2010.

It's basically one level above AI generated songs, but it's interesting to hear as a fans interpretation of a barely-audible leak. He did a great job with it, it's impressive that he made it in the way he did. I also like his version of Silkworms and a couple of his mash-ups.

But his version of 'The General' was always just an interpretation and it ended up not even being The General... now that the real version of Soul Monster is kind of out there, people who avoided evader's version should give it a listen.

• Like 1

I listened to it a few times out of curiosity back in the day. It's a great reconstruction of the clip, but it was always obvious that the final version won't sound like the Evader version for obvious reasons. And I didn't want it to sound like that either. It's a fan made reconstruction for crying out loud. Why would I want GNR music to sound fanmade? I have pretty good speakers, so I always heard Monsters in the cellphone clip good enough to have my own expectations based on that. I never really cared about the Evader version much. Even if it was an interesting attempt to recreate the song.

I have just for comparing the vocals in the bridge of Monsters which honestly, Evader absolutely nailed with what tools he had and its crazy how close he got Axl's high notes and melody compared to what leaked.  He did a great job with what little could be made out so its a fun listen

47 minutes ago, evader said:

I liked what he did with the guitar solo, but the rest of it doesn't really appeal to me.

I never could hear a thing from the cellphone clip. was it the general or monsters? it seems you took the orchestra from the intro they did at some show and the cellphone clip is monsters.

15 hours ago, DSTK said:

Nope, credit to evader for making an effort...but fan made stuff doesn't do it for me 

This is it. I appreciate the time and effort put into it, but since it was never real and the result of guesswork, it was never of any interest to me.

Now we have the real song, there's absolutely no reason to listen to it (from my perspective, at least).

But yeah, as I said, I appreciate and respect what went into it, but it's not – and never has been – for me

• Like 1