"Shallow" early demo with Axl?

Hi!

I don't know if this has been posted or discussed before but I saw a few days ago which is appearently a rare demo called Shallow with appearently Axl on It.

For me it sounds as his RapidFire vocals but don't know if someone has any more information, thanks in advance!

This crops up every now and then, no idea if it's real or not. Heard 2 and a half tracks last year that are allegedly from the same tape (who knows if they are or not). The other songs had what sounded like they had more than one guitar player, which pretty much counts out Rapidfire as an option. & they may well not be Axl at all. One song has a few words that can be picked out 'Angel' 'I'm Suicide' They sound like they were recorded in a club but with no crowd.

Just had a listen for the first time in ages and i'm pretty sure it's not Axl but here, you decide

https://mega.nz/folder/QOs0hYxC#u7A3D0X_AgAmcty7VlUNGg

I'll remove the link if mods want but i'm pretty sure I'm not sharing Unreleased GN'R stuff here (or even Axl)

Also I should mention that while the bit rate says 320 kbps it is a lot lower than that in reality, you can see that by running it through Spek. You can also see that the results you get seem the same for all 3 tracks in term of quality. Which does at least suggest they probably did come from the same tape, if the original un messed with rip of the Shallow song matches as well then I would say that's a pretty big clue that they are from the same place but tbh I never bothered checking, more of a CD era guy.

Edited by Rindmelon
  • Like 4

yes, i was the one that made this thread earlier

the "rarity" of this tape has been bugging me

the uploader of the tape on youtube says it's from summer 1985, but what tracks were on summer 1985 bootlegs has been written down, and no one mentions the songs on those bootlegs sounding like the ones on the mystery tape, so i'm guessing whoever labelled the mystery tape mislabeled it, or it was for another band

someone on evo said they've seen it before, bundled with another thing

i tried looking for bootlegs, seeing if anyone out there mentions anything like Shallow being bundled along with it. I've seen "Your Looks Are Gone" as the other not-GNR track bundled with GnR, but I'm having difficulty finding any references to something like Shallow, which is a longish song with complete lyrics. I tried looking at usenet archives, but I haven't seen anyone mention anything like Shallow yet.

Using the Shazam app on any of the songs on the tape (something that's pretty good at identifying songs based on audio) turns up nothing.

One of the songs on the tape resembles Welcome to the Jungle and ends with "You're gonna die", so I don't know if this is a band that came later that was inspired by Guns N Roses, or a coincidence, but if it's an early version, it wouldn't be in line with what's been said about WTTJ's origins, because it doesn't mention "jungle" or life in the city much in the lyrics, when pages like this mention the "jungle"  and life in the city aspect as an important part of the song's origin https://www.a-4-d.com/t72-welcome-to-the-jungle . There's a line in the song that sounds like "you're turning 21"

so if we add 21 onto Axl's birth year (1962), that would make 1983. But that would place it too early, into the Rapidfire days, and Rindmelon says the presence of multiple guitars counts it out of Rapidfire. And the "turning 21" line might not have any relation to real life anyway, and could be just a line for the song.

i've had no luck in trying to find any other people that mention copies of the song in an attempt to find the origin and time it was from.

Edited by BucketEgg
added video of "turning 21" line + spelling
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

@kevinb or @troccoli would probably know best. I do remember reading somewhere that the Shallow song was played to Traci Guns who said it wasn't GN'R though

Was that about Your Looks are Gone, or Shallow? I remember Tracii denying Your Looks Are Gone https://old.reddit.com/r/Lostwave/comments/ovec3m/unknown_80s_glam_rock_song_your_looks_are_gone/  

if he denied Shallow as well, maybe I will look for that quote sometime

Edited by BucketEgg

5 hours ago, BucketEgg said:

Was that about Your Looks are Gone, or Shallow? I remember Tracii denying Your Looks Are Gone https://old.reddit.com/r/Lostwave/comments/ovec3m/unknown_80s_glam_rock_song_your_looks_are_gone/  

That i'm not sure, i'm probably conflating the two.

Since you guys are discussing old hollywood rose stuff. Does anyone know if the full set performance of this is out there? Heres part of shadow and part of anything goes. No idea what else there was performed but it was filmed outside in a garden lol

Edited by vloors

6 hours ago, BucketEgg said:

Your Looks are Gone doesnt sound like Axl to me but Shallow does.

I recently came across this song as well and I'm equally as curious as to its origins.  If I HAD to guess, I'd say it isn't GnR, but that hauntingly beautiful melody throughout the song is something that only Axl could come up with.  I can't stop listening to it.  

I just heard this for the first time the other day. Sounds like Axl, but I’d be shocked to see something “new” from those days pop out of nowhere like this. 

The quality on the live version of Your Looks Are Gone that’s been circulating since the Napster days is so terrible that it’s impossible to tell if it’s Axl or not, but I’d lean no on that one.