Josh Freese on Rick Beato

• bojan changed the title to Josh Freese on Rick Beato
3 minutes ago, bojan said:

Sorry if it has been discussed already.

Nothing new, but the whole interview is pretty interesting.

Cheers!

Guns part is around 1:21:40

• Like 1

He mentioned something about the newer NITL singles, which I assume are Perhaps and Hard Skool. Wasn't there some debate about HS, if it was him or Brain? 

He's super cool and I was surprised when Rick asked about CD, it was almost the end of the interview. I'd love to hear him talk about the album in a technical level. 

21 hours ago, lost un the jungle said:

The thing about Josh claiming to creat the music on CD song is pretty recent, right? I always had in mind this was a Tommy song.

It's not just a claim...Check the credits on the track. It is credited to Josh Freese and Axl.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 7:54 PM, bojan said:

Guns part is around 1:21:40

It's mad he worked on songs, wrote loads and drums on all those instrumental pieces and in 2000, he still didn't know if Axl had written lyrics to any of them or recorded them or what he'd chosen as the ones he wanted to focus on. I don't know if that speaks more about the hired musicians aka NUGNR, not really giving a shit, or axl being so insular.

He mentions specifically axl was open to any and all ideas no matter who had written them, which in any functioning band, is a great thing. But then also two years later he didnt know if axl had even chosen to record vocals to them. When I write a song, I am involved in it's development at every stage, surely he'd ask Axl? Someone here didn't give a shit, I just can't work out who!

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 4:10 AM, JimiRose said:

It's mad he worked on songs, wrote loads and drums on all those instrumental pieces and in 2000, he still didn't know if Axl had written lyrics to any of them or recorded them or what he'd chosen as the ones he wanted to focus on. I don't know if that speaks more about the hired musicians aka NUGNR, not really giving a shit, or axl being so insular.

He mentions specifically axl was open to any and all ideas no matter who had written them, which in any functioning band, is a great thing. But then also two years later he didnt know if axl had even chosen to record vocals to them. When I write a song, I am involved in it's development at every stage, surely he'd ask Axl? Someone here didn't give a shit, I just can't work out who!

Really?

It's Axl! 

Axl is the common denominator with everything that has went wrong in Guns N' Roses.

• Like 1

Josh was the glue piece behind Chinese Democracy.

Listen to Poe's Haunted which Josh appeared on.

His signature sound/ arrangement is on both albums which is why I always considered those book end  twin albums.  No coincidence the bulk of both albums were created at the same time- late 90s/early 2000s.

He is a musical genius!

Edited by Illusion1987
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

Look at the writing credits for the song: it’s credited to Axl and Josh. This isn’t exactly a new revelation.

He said a while back that his royalties should be 50% for the song, but it's significantly lower and that there are a few other credited songwriters that somehow don't appear on the liner notes.

• Wow 1

On 4/22/2024 at 3:36 PM, F*ck Fear said:

Really?

It's Axl! 

Axl is the common denominator with everything that has went wrong in Guns N' Roses.

Not really. Did you forget the REAL catalyst for Guns N'Roses going downhill? S.A is the catalyst that started Guns N'Roses going downhill, and I don't mean sexual assault. 💡

Edited by Karice

3 hours ago, Karice said:

Not really. Did you forget the REAL catalyst for Guns N'Roses going downhill? S.A is the catalyst that started Guns N'Roses going downhill, and I don't mean sexual assault. 💡

If you're referring to Steve Adler, I hate to break it to you but there were three other junkies in GNR at the time.

The catalyst is Axl Rose.

You can't tell me any different.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Karice said:

The core lineup lasted years after Adler went! They had their most successful tours after he left, too

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

The core lineup lasted years after Adler went! They had their most successful tours after he left, too

but when Steven went.... a big chunk of the Gn'R sound left the building., it's a good thing they found Matt which is also a great drummer but not that original big chunk. they were great enough so it still was cool, but it wasn't the same and Izzy said as much. Izzy is rarely wrong. a neat thing I've noticed. (when he does talk which is also rare)

16 minutes ago, Rovim said:

but when Steven went.... a big chunk of the Gn'R sound left the building., it's a good thing they found Matt which is also a great drummer but not that original big chunk. they were great enough so it still was cool, but it wasn't the same and Izzy said as much. Izzy is rarely wrong. a neat thing I've noticed. (when he does talk which is also rare)

None of that equates to the band's downfall though. It was still huge despite the loss of Steven. You're describing something entirely different.

The downfall wasn't due to the band's sound, it was due to personalities that remained in the band way after Steven left.

22 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

If you're referring to Steve Adler, I hate to break it to you but there were three other junkies in GNR at the time.

The catalyst is Axl Rose.

You can't tell me any different.

Who says I meant Steven Adler? I could have meant social anxiety. 😉

53 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

None of that equates to the band's downfall though. It was still huge despite the loss of Steven. You're describing something entirely different.

The downfall wasn't due to the band's sound, it was due to personalities that remained in the band way after Steven left.

the downfall was when Slash left

• Like 1