Tom Zutaut Speaks on Locker Leaks

16 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Here is the original source, around 58:10 minute mark:

Thanks, that first video was really bad to watch it.

Funny thing how he recalled the NYT article. That feels a lot like a confirmation that he was the main source (to other stuff as well) back then.

• Like 3

Pretty interesting. I doubt the leaks influenced anything to do with what was officially released. What did we get?  Hardskool and absurd.

If they were more focused on releasing stuff that leaked we would have official versions of atlas shrugged or state of grace, not the general and monsters.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Pretty interesting. I doubt the leaks influenced anything to do with what was officially released. What did we get?  Hardskool and absurd.

If they were more focused on releasing stuff that leaked we would have official versions of atlas shrugged or state of grace, not the general and monsters.

we also got Perhaps an official release and music video

• Like 1

6 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

I’m glad they released Hardskool and Abdurd over Atlas Shrugged. Can’t remember State Of Grace but I think I didn’t like it neither. If they’ve selected like 6 singles, they don’t have to go with the best first. I’m pretty confident we’ll get Monsters, maybe even later this year, in combination with another song (hopefully not Atlas).

On 5/1/2024 at 1:53 AM, Free Bird said:

I’m glad they released Hardskool and Abdurd over Atlas Shrugged. Can’t remember State Of Grace but I think I didn’t like it neither. If they’ve selected like 6 singles, they don’t have to go with the best first. I’m pretty confident we’ll get Monsters, maybe even later this year, in combination with another song (hopefully not Atlas).

I didn't like Perhaps when it leaked but the final version completely changed my opinion on it. I'm "meh" on Atlas Shrugged right now, but it could be good in its final form. State of Grace though... god no. Sounds like one of those videos mocking Axl's mickey voice and wavering pitch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I didn't like Perhaps when it leaked but the final version completely changed my opinion on it. I'm "meh" on Atlas Shrugged right now, but it could be good in its final form. State of Grace though... god no. Sounds like one of those videos mocking Axl's mickey voice and wavering pitch.

Possible but iirc it wasn’t only the instrumental that I didn’t like but even Axl. From what I heard Oklahoma impressed me the most even if it had no lyrics. Agree on Perhaps, it’s a cool little song, only missing a great solo.

9 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Ya....but it is singlehandedly responsible for the best GNR cover ever!! 😵

There’s two ways to see it. You can either argue the leaks are what caused the singles to be released, or you can argue that there isn’t really as large of a vault as there was talked up to be and that the releases overlap because those are just the songs that are done. We don’t have enough information to prove either, in my opinion. 

And no, the latter is not a Pele argument. I’m sure there are songs that have some work done that we don’t know about. Whether those are fully finished or realized though is a much different story, and again, there’s just not enough info to know.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I was always certain the leaks set the wheels for Hard Skool and Absurd. But the reality is there's such little left vocally, it was just clear that out of those leaks the ones with vox would end up being the next singles. Which they did. 

Then we had General and Monsters, the other two we knew existed with vocals. 

Atlas next...

Edited by rumandraisin
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I believe that vocal take on State Of Grace (the 2000 mix from the Village CD) was a rough vocal take. With that being said, it wouldn't surprise me if they end up using it, as this is modern Guns N' Roses, where horrible mixes are officially released. (Hard Skool and The General comes to mind) But my guess is State Of Grace, if worked on subsequent to the 2000 mix we have, they would have polished up the vocals. The vocals towards the end are suitable for release with a proper mix. I actually find them pleasant. I believe that song would work well as is, with a proper vocal take, a Buckethead or Robin solo, and a final mix and master. :) 

I was relieved after Perhaps was officially released, because it was mixed and mastered professionally. It gave me hope that we would at least have reasonable mixed songs, then that came crashing down when The General leaked. Monsters also sound poor from a mixing standpoint, hopefully it's slightly more polished in the final version. The official The General sounds a little cleaner compared to the leak. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 6:43 PM, Blackstar said:

There is evidence that work on unreleased CD era songs had started way before the leaks happened (at least a year before). Most notably:

- In September 2018, when Slash was touring with SMKC, he told Alan Niven that Axl had been "in isolation" picking CD leftovers for them to work on. Niven mentioned it in an interview in March 2019.

- In April 2019, Slash went to Axl's home studio with his gear being set up by Caram.

So I think either those were the songs that were done or getting worked on before the leaks occurred, or other songs were originally prioritized to be released as first singles, but the fact that Hard School leaked and got a positive response changed the plans slightly as far as the order of releases was concerned.

Well in Slash's most recent interview he was ask to list to his lockdown projects and he had a bunch and he made sure to mention working on the "Axl songs..." So it may have started then but it continued past March 2020 it seems....

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

Well in Slash's most recent interview he was ask to list to his lockdown projects and he had a bunch and he made sure to mention working on the "Axl songs..." So it may have started then but it continued past March 2020 it seems....

Yes, Slash and Fortus have mentioned before about working during on the GN'R songs during lockdown. But they had started before that (and before the leaks).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, Slash and Fortus have mentioned before about working during on the GN'R songs during lockdown. But they had started before that (and before the leaks).

So knowing Slash's speed....I makes me think there's probably quite a few more than just 6! The 6 he was talking about was probably what he did in Lockdown....which may be (just guessing of course) in addition to ones he did in 2019 and before....

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

So knowing Slash's speed....I makes me think there's probably quite a few more than just 6! The 6 he was talking about was probably what he did in Lockdown....which may be (just guessing of course) in addition to ones he did in 2019 and before....

It would all depend on how many songs Axl gave him and Duff to work with