What will be the next boxset?

Ok so it seems that besides touring and releasing the occasional new(ish) song that Guns are more interested in releasing boxsets of classic albums and bonus material than a new album. We've had the Appetite box which also included most of Lies. We've had Use Your Illusion. What if anything is next? 

Spaghetti Incident with some bonus discs of various covers Guns have done live. Maybe chuck in a Gilby era Blu Ray.

Chinese Democracy boxset would be great but might be a harder sell as it didn't have Slash n Duff on it. Unless it included the singles they've released since they're originally from the Chinese era. A live disc of the current band playing the CD tracks live.

Or perhaps just release some classic shows on CD and Blu Ray. A Not In This Lifetime CD and Blu Ray is way overdue.

Didn’t the UYI reissue(s) not swell well? There probably won’t be any more boxsets. AFD and UYI are now remastered. The AFD box rendered Lies as obsolete. The UYI box rendered Live Era as obsolete. GH has already been reissued multiple times. The label clearly doesn’t like CD.

The most I can see is a single-disc TSI reissue with those two extra covers added (with Duff singing), but even that’s a stretch…

Hopefully a CD box set with all the leftover songs and some live stuff (from 2010 or earlier).

But if they do another box, it will probably be a "40 Years Of Destruction" kind of thing with Ritz 88, Paris 92, a 2012 show and something from NITL.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Didn’t the UYI reissue(s) not swell well? There probably won’t be any more boxsets. AFD and UYI are now remastered. The AFD box rendered Lies as obsolete. The UYI box rendered Live Era as obsolete. GH has already been reissued multiple times. The label clearly doesn’t like CD.

The most I can see is a single-disc TSI reissue with those two extra covers added (with Duff singing), but even that’s a stretch…

They haven’t done TSI because of the same reason they haven’t done reissue Lies. They don’t want to include Look At Your Game Girl. Plus there are upfront mechanical licensing costs because of the covers.  Live Era is probably more of a possibility 

The next thing I could see released is a NITL live album, otherwise it will be Atlas Shrugged/Monsters for the next tour

A CD box set would be awesome.  I just don’t think we’ll see it until they are done releasing these “new” songs 

• Like 1

I’d love a CD box set but it won’t happen unless Axl puts it out under his name which he won’t do. Having stripped back demos sold the main songs, selections of unheard songs from the vault, and a live show or 2 with HQ audio and even video would be stellar. Oh well. 

Idk what other box sets they could do. I’d happily take more live shows in full, though. Maybe a live era one with some Appetite shows or a NITL box with good shit from 2016? I’d kill for a NITL box, too

8 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

They haven’t done TSI because of the same reason they haven’t done reissue Lies. They don’t want to include Look At Your Game Girl. Plus there are upfront mechanical licensing costs because of the covers.  Live Era is probably more of a possibility 

The next thing I could see released is a NITL live album, otherwise it will be Atlas Shrugged/Monsters for the next tour

A CD box set would be awesome.  I just don’t think we’ll see it until they are done releasing these “new” songs 

Well they don't need to reissue Lies cos the Appetite box has seven out of it's eight songs. They obviously decided to leave One In A Million off. 

I don't think we'll get another Live Era type release. Hopefully more fully concerts in all their unmessed with glory.

It'd be easy enough to reissue Spaghetti and just leave off Look At Your Game Girl. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I’d love a CD box set but it won’t happen unless Axl puts it out under his name which he won’t do. Having stripped back demos sold the main songs, selections of unheard songs from the vault, and a live show or 2 with HQ audio and even video would be stellar. Oh well. 

Idk what other box sets they could do. I’d happily take more live shows in full, though. Maybe a live era one with some Appetite shows or a NITL box with good shit from 2016? I’d kill for a NITL box, too

No need to release a CD box under Axl's name. Just include the new (ish) songs and a live disc with Slash and Duff playing the CD songs. 

• Like 2

I'd  guess a box set would include a bunch of live shows from 87- 93.  Illusion songs ft Steven adler.  Maybe all of that video footage from the UYI tour as a DVD bonus.

Realistically, I think they are at that point in their careers where we will only get greatest hits albums (see Aerosmith) bc those albums have the only songs the general public cares about.  Hope I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, Chester 524 said:

I'd  guess a box set would include a bunch of live shows from 87- 93.  Illusion songs ft Steven adler.  Maybe all of that video footage from the UYI tour as a DVD bonus.

Realistically, I think they are at that point in their careers where we will only get greatest hits albums (see Aerosmith) bc those albums have the only songs the general public cares about.  Hope I'm wrong.

I'm guessing and hoping that any future live releases will be more fully concerts as opposed to more Live Era type releases.

Nah. If they wanted to release the Illusion demos with Steven they would've included them in the Illusion boxset. I think that's more his dream than the band's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guitarpatch said:

LAYGG was only ever a hidden track though, tbf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chester 524 said:

I think the ship has sailed on any of the UYI documentary footage seeing the light of day. Robert John sold his recordings (including the 1989 rehearsals) to a private collector, and Axl seems to have zero interest in revisiting that period.

They could do plenty of live releases (we know they have at least 3-4 more shows fully remastered that weren't included in the UYI box - Rio, London and Paris) but I doubt they'll even bother with those. If Axl could get over whatever issues he has with Marc Canter, they could release an absolute goldmine of early shows, but again he doesn't seem interested.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, eggers said:

Oh, I did. We are lucky we got the boxsets we did. 

Well if you'd read it you would have seen this is just a fun post to speculate if they'll put out another boxset and what it might be. Your question "boxset of what exactly" is the point of the thread. 

We're we lucky to get the Appetite and Illusions boxsets? Depends how you look at it. I had to wait until two years after both came out and dropped in price a little to be able to afford the CD/Blu-ray super deluxe editions of both Appetite and Illusion. I mean they're fucking awesome sets don't get me wrong. But fucking expensive.

And again lucky? The band and the label would've made a mint from those sets. They weren't giving them away. And as they haven't released a new studio album it was smart to release stuff from the archives. And if they keep dragging the chain with a new album why wouldn't they release something else from the archives?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

Only thing I could see them doing is remastering and upscaling the old UYI shows for blu Ray or streaming. I doubt we ever get a new boxset.

I'd personally love a Blu Ray of a Gilby era Illusion concert.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

Box set live era and live era 2.

a live album with songs from Chinese democracy, the new songs, and songs from use your illusion that are not on live era.

Trak list.

Cd/Vinyl 1

1.hardskool.2.absurd.3.chinese democracy.4.welcome ttj.5.better.6.shilter.7.sorry.8.the general.9. double talking.10.the blues.11.november rain.12.coma

Cd/Vinyl 2

1.civil war.2.dead horse.3.bad obsession.4.locomotive.5.twat.6. perhaps.7.sweet child.8.shadow of your LOVE.9. reckles.10.this i LOVE.11.madagascar.12.paradise city.