What will be the next boxset?

1 hour ago, jimisbatman said:

Could a CD boxset be a logistical nightmare given the amount of artists involved on different labels? 

I'm pretty sure everything they recorded was immediately owned by GNR or the label. There's stories from 20 years ago about Bucket being frustrated he couldn't use certain riffs because they belonged to GNR. Tommy just got the rights to Going Down and Ten Percenter a couple years ago. They'd have to credit everyone fairly, but I don't think they'd run into many problems.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ugly_Kid_Jose said:

didnt skid row recorded the song malibu nightmare and it was the same? for the bsides ourselves ep

GNR recorded "Beer And A Cigarette" if I remember correctly. 

Andy also was feuding with Michael at the time, so that was probably the real reason. 

Edited by tboneman

22 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

There were three versions of the UYI reissue (uyi1 deluxe, uyi2 deluxe, and UYI super deluxe) and all of them failed to make it onto the billboard 200.

In contrast, the different versions of the AFD reissue were enough to get AFD all the way back to #10 on the billboard 200 in 2018.

Do box sets normally make it into the Billboard 200? 

14 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm pretty sure everything they recorded was immediately owned by GNR or the label. There's stories from 20 years ago about Bucket being frustrated he couldn't use certain riffs because they belonged to GNR. Tommy just got the rights to Going Down and Ten Percenter a couple years ago. They'd have to credit everyone fairly, but I don't think they'd run into many problems.

Axl, to his credit, has seemingly never screwed anyone with royalties or credits - quite the opposite. I think you're 100% - GNR owned everything that was even jammed. 

44 minutes ago, Oliver77 said:

A boxset of all the albums that never happened: the 96-97 album they were working on, CD from 2001, CD II & III, the reunion album they should have done in 2017-2018...

That's a good ideal! 🤔😀💡

20 hours ago, Oliver77 said:

A boxset of all the albums that never happened: the 96-97 album they were working on, CD from 2001, CD II & III, the reunion album they should have done in 2017-2018...

"A boxset of all the albums that happened" is more likely 😅

Posted (edited)

I have a feeling that if Axl/Guns N'Roses release a new Boxset with say all of the unreleased songs they ever made,(Like a Poster suggested, and I also think is a good idea, 😀💡🤔Fans will complain, saying something like,"So, they have time to release all unreleased songs, but  don't have time to make a brand new album?" 😒

Edited by Karice

It JUST occurred to me like three seconds ago that the real reason why Guns N'Roses aren't really releasing Boxsets/Compilation albums is  because of the fact that Fans can literally just download albums for free off of YouTube. I have a phone that I was able to download a 4 hour video  for free off of YouTube. Anyone can just make their own Guns N'Roses Boxset for free using YouTube. They did make a Use Your Illusions Part 1 and 2 Boxset, and that flopped.   What they REALLY should do is go to a Studio and release a brand new album, not give us drips of songs that were recorded years  ago or or even  around 30 years ago. They should make a new album and call it Time For A New Era! That's what Fans REALLY want, not Boxsets of songs that can be easily downloaded for free from YouTube. 💡

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Hopefully the next box set is the CD tracks, all of them, but with Melissa, Duff and Slash.

They would have to rerecord the entire CD album as Melissa, Duff, and Slash were literally not a part of Guns N'Roses when Chinese Democracy was released. 💡

Edited by Karice

2 hours ago, Karice said:

It JUST occurred to me like three seconds ago that the real reason why Guns N'Roses aren't really releasing Boxsets/Compilation albums is  because of the fact that Fans can literally just download albums for free off of YouTube. I have a phone that I was able to download a 4 hour video  for free off of YouTube. Anyone can just make their own Guns N'Roses Boxset for free using YouTube. They did make a Use Your Illusions Part 1 and 2 Boxset, and that flopped.   What they REALLY should do is go to a Studio and release a brand new album, not give us drips of songs that were recorded years  ago or or even  around 30 years ago. They should make a new album and call it Time For A New Era! That's what Fans REALLY want, not Boxsets of songs that can be easily downloaded for free from YouTube. 💡

Nah. Fans like to collect physical products. Of course we all want a new studio album. But we all know it'll happen when it happens cos Axl is Axl. In the meantime we'll happily take more boxsets.

• GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, tboneman said:

"A boxset of all the albums that happened" is more likely 😅

Nah. Lies (minus One In A Million) was included in the Appetite set. We've just had Use Your Illusions. All that's left is Spaghetti and Chinese. The takeaway boxset 😁?

On 5/4/2024 at 3:04 AM, Oliver77 said:

And the 94 sessions with Gilby.

The club/early years era Boxset, with some of the best quality shows like the mtrfckr CATHOUSE!!!. Or the Cayuga County Fairgrounds 88 DVD. Some audio shows.

The UYI Tour boxset. The best audio shows from 91 to 93. One DVD per year at least and ONE outrageous quality from the best source and edition work like the lastest release Ritz 91... can be Tokyo 3 nights pack? That shows were recorded in a very good quality i guess.

Just now, axlvai said:

The club/early years era Boxset, with some of the best quality shows like the mtrfckr CATHOUSE!!!. Or the Cayuga County Fairgrounds 88 DVD. Some audio shows.

The UYI Tour boxset. The best audio shows from 91 to 93. One DVD per year at least and ONE outrageous quality from the best source and edition work like the lastest release Ritz 91... can be Tokyo 3 nights pack? That shows were recorded in a very good quality i guess.

Cathouse 89, Giants Stadium 88, Ritz 87, and 2-3 Canter recordings would be the best box set they've released so far. Even if it's just CD's and a USB stick with 1080 videos, they could still milk that era way more than they already have.

Ritz 88 is far from my favourite show but it seems like an obvious choice for future release. They played a remastered version at one of the pop-up events when the AFD box set was released, they have at least a few remastered audio shows that weren't included in the UYI box... live stuff is the most likely next release or box set.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Cathouse 89, Giants Stadium 88, Ritz 87, and 2-3 Canter recordings would be the best box set they've released so far. Even if it's just CD's and a USB stick with 1080 videos, they could still milk that era way more than they already have.

Ritz 88 is far from my favourite show but it seems like an obvious choice for future release. They played a remastered version at one of the pop-up events when the AFD box set was released, they have at least a few remastered audio shows that weren't included in the UYI box... live stuff is the most likely next release or box set.

Obviously that remaster ritz was fanmade. That 3.0 show made it by one of the greatest fans out there.

On 5/4/2024 at 7:36 PM, Karice said:

They would have to rerecord the entire CD album as Melissa, Duff, and Slash were literally not a part of Guns N'Roses when Chinese Democracy was released. 💡

That is possibly more likely than a brand new  album of new material. It's likely there may be a recorded version of Better with slash Duff and Melissa I think.

There are a few versions of that song. Back when we found out about the Ashba version and the BBF version I wondered if Axl had used it as a sort of homework track for new people coming in to see what they have to offer. Given that it's the most reworked of the CD songs by the 2016 lineup it wouldn't surprise me if there was a studio version with that new intro somewhere.

The whole CD thing needs to be let go of already. They should release those remaining "CD 2" songs that Axl wants to put on The New Record, but other than that, I don’t want any other box sets, remakes, or demos from CD. We even have the individual tracks from the video game or whatever it was, for god’s sake. Sure, I’d download any old leaks of these other songs, but that’s it. He’s been toying with this material for two decades, and we need something fresh. Created by the people who are actually in the band. And in the meantime, any rare material (especially video) to be released should be exclusively from within 87–93. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jamillos said:

The whole CD thing needs to be let go of already. They should release those remaining "CD 2" songs that Axl wants to put on The New Record, but other than that, I don’t want any other box sets, remakes, or demos from CD. We even have the individual tracks from the video game or whatever it was, for god’s sake. Sure, I’d download any old leaks of these other songs, but that’s it. He’s been toying with this material for two decades, and we need something fresh. Created by the people who are actually in the band. And in the meantime, any rare material (especially video) to be released should be exclusively from within 87–93. 

Axl don't do "fresh".

9 hours ago, jamillos said:

This. Even most of the few hardcore fans left don't give a fuck about it anymore, right? 

If he has anything at least on par with Monsters, put it on a new album. Everything else as free download or into the trash can.

• Like 1

I’m of the opinion we will just get more AFD and UYI nostalgia content every 5 or 10 year anniversary for the rest of the time.

TSI is too niche, and could just be on another UYI sort of re-release, and Axl likely won’t have any interest in ever re-releasing CD content with people not in the band anymore and were never accepted as GNR by the majority of fans.

I’d bet a TSI box that focuses more on the 93 skin n bones tour live stuff. TSI on one disc, random UYI demos and live tracks on a 2nd disc and a complete 93 live show, probably 2 discs. I could see the UYI and TSI videos on a bluray thrown in for the sake of having a video disc.  Pretty much a UYI 2.5 lite.