Sympathy for the Devil--opinions?

Vincent Vega

What do you feel about the last single released by the Classic Era GN'R? Released in December 1994, it's the last song to have Axl, Slash, Duff, Matt and Dizzy all on the same track....Do you think it's a good cover, beyond the drama surrounding how it was recorded?

never liked it, regardless of who plays what, don't care. having a band with axl and slash and calling slash a diva is really stupid btw.

Did I say Axl wasn't? Slash being a diva directly pertains to why so many people dislike this song. That's all.

never liked it, regardless of who plays what, don't care. having a band with axl and slash and calling slash a diva is really stupid btw.

Did I say Axl wasn't? Slash being a diva directly pertains to why so many people dislike this song. That's all.

Not really sure if that's true, though. The song was met with a pretty lukewarm/hostile reaction even when it came out.

Personally, I like it a lot. I always have. But I feel like only die-hard fans even really care about what Slash had to say about the song. I think for the general public it came out at a time when GN'R was fizzling on its way out during the rise of grunge/alt rock, and it just never really connected with people, so it doesn't even have much of a nostalgia factor outside the fanbase.

Not really sure if that's true, though. The song was met with a pretty lukewarm/hostile reaction even when it came out.

Personally, I like it a lot. I always have. But I feel like only die-hard fans even really care about what Slash had to say about the song. I think for the general public it came out at a time when GN'R was fizzling on its way out during the rise of grunge/alt rock, and it just never really connected with people, so it doesn't even have much of a nostalgia factor outside the fanbase.

It hit #55 on the Billboard Hot 100 in early 1995, not bad for a cover song with no video or much promotion released by a band that had been on hiatus for two years. It couldn't have been that ill received.

What do you feel about the last single released by the Classic Era GN'R? Released in December 1994, it's the last song to have Axl, Slash, Duff, Matt and Dizzy all on the same track....Do you think it's a good cover, beyond the drama surrounding how it was recorded?

I think it is a great cover. I really like Axl's singing on it and the guitars.

huh. Coulda sworn it came out in Fall 94, not December. Wasn't the movie released in summer or fall 94? I'm too lazy to look it up.

I thought it was OK. But at the time I was sick as shit of covers cause TSI? had just come out. To be honest, I didn't play it that much. I much preferred Gilby's cover of Dead Flowers with Axl on background vocals.

The best cover of Sympathy is hands down Jane's Addiction. They fucking OWN that song, better than the original. The one on their first album, not the newer version from Sons of Anarchy. That one kinda sucks.

Great cover. Incredible drumming.

GNR made a good song into a great one.

Fuck off. Just plain, Fuck off!!!!!!

The Stones original is incredible. The Stones original is iconic. The Stones original is of a, 60s idealism in absolute meltdown. Jagger speaks for his era. The beats echo throughout the spine. Richards lays down one of the most iconic solos ever. The whole recording is a masterpiece.

GN'R's version is just a crappy cover recorded when the band were in freefall - Axl couldn't even be bothered to show up on time . The version is an insult to The Rolling Stones.

Great cover. Incredible drumming.

GNR made a good song into a great one.

Fuck off. Just plain, Fuck off!!!!!!

The Stones original is incredible. The Stones original is iconic. The Stones original is of a, 60s idealism in absolute meltdown. Jagger speaks for his era. The beats echo throughout the spine. Richards lays down one of the most iconic solos ever. The whole recording is a masterpiece.

GN'R's version is just a crappy cover recorded when the band were in freefall - Axl couldn't even be bothered to show up on time . The version is an insult to The Rolling Stones.

Nah, you are wrong. It is great. And did I mention how good Axl's delivery is?

I suppose I am stating the obvious when I say that Guns N' Roses fans are jammed up Guns N' Roses's arsehole. One of you is even saying #55 was something to be proud of haha.

The original was the anthem of the post-60s malaise. It defined an era. It is vastly superior and all people of taste know this.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

The cover is great. Ace production, Matt's drumming is absolutely awesome and Slash just rips it off in the solo/outro.

BTW it's pointless to compare it with the Stones original : the original was recorded in a very voodoo-like mood, which is great in its own way. GN'R version, in a similar manner to the Interview with the vampire movie, chases a more gothic feel.

Vastly different takes on a masterpiece, each awesome on their own.

Edited by EvH