Best sequence of (at least 3) consecutive brilliant albums

username

David Bowie - Station to Station, Low, "Heroes", Lodger

Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle, Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town

I agree with a bunch of the ones already mentioned, too. I think the Springsteen one could arguably stretch from his debut to Tunnel of Love because you'll find different people propping pretty much any of those up as brilliant, but that's my personal opinion.

Stevie Wonder - Music of My Mind, Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingness' First Finale, Songs in the Key of Life

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, Sunflower

That Stevie Wonder run is absolute brilliance.

Rush: 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows

Yes: The Yes Album, Fragile, Close To The Edge, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Relayer, Going For The One

Porcupine Tree: Signify, Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear Of A Blank Planet

Sonic Youth- Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo

Beastie Boys- Licensed To Ill, Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head

R.E.M.- Murmur, Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction,,,,and....Green, Out of Time, Automatic for the People

Elvis Costello- My Aim is True, This Years Model, Armed Forces, Get Happy, Trust

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- Murder Ballads, The Boatman's Call, No More Shall We Part

Ramones- Ramones, Leave Home, Rocket to Russia, Road to Ruin

Iron Maiden with Piece Of Mind / Powerslave / Somewhere In Time / Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son.

Tower Of Power with Tower Of Power / Back To Oakland / Urban Renewal. I know there's not really anyone into soul on here, but those are 3 of the best soul albums ever recorded IMO.

with Maiden I'd say Beast - Piece of Mind - Powerslave

Somewhere in Time is the weakest pre the late 80s by far

Stevie Wonder - Music of My Mind, Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingness' First Finale, Songs in the Key of Life

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, Sunflower

Rush: 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows

Yes: The Yes Album, Fragile, Close To The Edge, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Relayer, Going For The One

Porcupine Tree: Signify, Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear Of A Blank Planet

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I'm not a fan of Grace Under Pressure at all.

Iron Maiden with Piece Of Mind / Powerslave / Somewhere In Time / Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son.

Tower Of Power with Tower Of Power / Back To Oakland / Urban Renewal. I know there's not really anyone into soul on here, but those are 3 of the best soul albums ever recorded IMO.

On the contrary, NOTB is actually my least favorite 80s album, and SIT is my favorite Maiden album period :P

Coheed and Cambria- In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3, Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume I: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness, Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume II: No World For Tomorrow

In Flames: Subterranean, The Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony, Clayman

Edited by Graeme

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I'm not a fan of Grace Under Pressure at all.

On the contrary, NOTB is actually my least favorite 80s album, and SIT is my favorite Maiden album period :P

typical, the hardcore fan dislikes the biggest hit :P

I know the feeling. the Best album is the first for me though ;) strange world - ahhhh

It's not as strong as some of their earlier albums, but I still find it pretty awesome. Mind you, I prefer 80s Rush to 70s Rush, so I'm in the minority there anyway haha.

Me Against the World, All Eyez On Me, Makaveli

As far as rap goes, I don't think that stretch can be topped.

Nirvana - Bleach, Nevermind, In Utero, MTV Unplugged

White Stripes - Elephant, Get Behind Me Satan, Icky Thump

Eminem - Slim Shady LP, Marshall Mathers LP, The Eminem Show

• Like 1

Outkast - Southernplaya.., Atliens, Aquemni

Tegan And Sara - If It Was You, So Jealous, The Con

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie.., Adore, Machina

Sunny Day Real Estate - Pink Album, How It Feels.., The Rising Tide

U2 - Boy, October, War

Trail of Dead - Madonna, Source Tags & Codes, Worlds Apart

Cradle of Filth: Dusk And Her Embrace / V Empire (EP) / Cruelty And The Beast / Midian

Metallica: Ride The Lightning / Master of Puppets / ...And Justice For All

the Eminem trio mentioned above is stellar as well.

I'm probably in the minority when I say All Eyez On Me is way overrated and has way more filler than killer. Me Against The World is so good it makes up for it though.

slayer: hell awaits-reign in blood-south of heaven-seasons in the abyss

dio: holy diver- the last in line-sacred heart-dream evil

edge of sanity: the spectral sorrows-purgatory afterglow- crimson I

opeth: morningrise-my arms,your hearse- still life- blackwater park

lynyrd skynyrd: lynyrd skynyrd-second helping-nuthin fancy-gimme back my bullets- street survivors

Chuck Berry

Afterschool Sessions (1957), One Dozen Berrys (1958), Chuck Berry On Top (1959). Unfortunately the last two - Rockin' At The Hops (1960) and New Juke Box Hits (1961) - are a bit patchier because of his courtcase.

Rockin' at the Hops is sick man :)

I agree but for the first time in his career, Berry was utilising a lot of covers. Hitherto, his career had been dominated by songwriting prolificacy. It is however the album with Childhood Sweetheart and Let it Rock, probably the last two bona fide masterpieces of the first stage of Berry's career so yes, throw it up there if you like. I actually love the album. I am just being very restrictive and focusing on the first three which include the best, Johnny Be Good et al.

Returning to Rockin' At The Hops, I also like Betty Jean, Too Pooped To Pop and Come On. Incidentally, Broken Arrow in my opinion is one of the few duds Berry wrote; decent but it was not up to the standard of Berry's usual a-sides (Childhood Sweetheart was actually the b-side!). New Juke Box Hits is also decent. It has the Thirteen Question Method and an underrated song called Stop and Listen. It also has covers of Route 66 and Little Richard's Rip It Up (which just about everybody covered).

In my heavy metal days, I was always taught that Number of the Beast - Piece of Mind - Powerslave was Maiden's 'classic' era, which was rounded off nicely with Live After Death. I think they brought synths in after that which pissed off one or two diehards. I was never their biggest fan but my favourite if I recall was Powerslave - well that and NOTB. I have POM, Powerslave and Live After Death on original LP which I picked up in a second hand store for 50p each in the early '90s. I used to just stare at the artwork when I was a kid and look for all the injokes on powerslave ('indiana jones was here'). I have a lot of the 7" also which I picked-up at the same time.

Five Leaves Left (1969), Bryter Layter (1970), Pink Moon (1972) - Nick Drake.

Elliott Smith (1995), Either/Or (1997), XO (1998) - Elliott Smith.

Free Your Mind...And Your Ass Will Follow (1970), Funkadelic (1970), Maggot Brain (1971) - Funkadelic.

Fleetwood Mac (1975), Rumors (1977), Tusk (1979) - Fleetwood Mac.

Edited by Rovim