Prince 1958 - 2016

HeartbreakerWoman

Maybe a  week ago I read on a famous gossip site that a big celebrity is suffering from AIDS and he can die any moment. All the clues pointed at the person being Prince but I didn't want to believe it :( Still completely shocked that he is really gone.

Edited by lsweetcaressl
  • Like 1

NO! saw it on tv, couldn't believe it. So many cool tunes and especially his voice and guitar playing. Like him or hate him, he was truly one of a kind and talented as fuck.

With Bowie and Prince gone, Lemmy and Scott too it becomes more real like you know they're all gonna leave us at some point, all of the greats but I thought Prince was good for at least another 20 years. RIP.

43 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

You're missing the point that I was making. I was simply saying that I would have thought that someone as important in the history of music as Prince was would have received more coverage than just a footnote at the end of the news.

It's on CNN. Constantly. Since the news broke. What do you want?

3 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

The US president just issued a statement.

It is clearly too complex for you to understand, so I'll say it as simply as I can:

Given the size of Prince's contribution to popular music around the globe, I am surprised that his death is not gathering more coverage in Europe.

9 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

It is clearly too complex for you to understand, so I'll say it as simply as I can:

Given the size of Prince's contribution to popular music around the globe, I am surprised that his death is not gathering more coverage in Europe.

If you are expecting all channels to drop their broadcasting and devote all their time to Prince, it wont happen. Some live shows that pick up on actual events will now shift gears to discuss his passing or there might be an overview of his career. I expect most newspapers and news sites to place his passing as top news tomorrow (most already have today). It will be the same as with Bowie, give it more or less a week and they will have moved on to the next topic. That is how the media operates and I personally don't like mourning people through it for that exact reason.

Edited by Bumblefeet
  • Like 1

Apparently Bob Marley was once invited to a Prince concert, not really knowing who he was other than he was a big deal.  When he arrived at the gig, being from a culture of rampant homophobia, he observed Prince and said 'fuck this' and left, berating his friend, insulter that he had thought that he might like the music of a 'batty man'.  True story.

Edited by Len B'stard

5 minutes ago, Bumblefeet said:

If you are expecting all channels to drop their broadcasting and devote all their time to Prince, it wont happen. Some live shows that pick up on actual events will now shift gears to discuss his passing or there might be an overview of his career. I expect most newspapers and news sites to place his passing as top news tomorrow (most already have today). It will be the same as with Bowie, give it more or less a week and they will have moved on to the next topic. That is how the media operates and I personally don't like mourning people through it for that exact reason.

I don't expect broadcasts to be dropped for Prince or anyone, but given the massive contributions that he made to popular music over the last few decades I am surprised that his death is a snippet at the back end of the news rather than a longer segment towards the front, is all. For comparison, a few weeks ago a small and unsigned band crashed their van off of a mountain pass and died; it was all over the news and papers for a week.

That's the last post I'll make on Prince, as seemingly the ability to read and understand words is a lost art (not speaking of you specifically, Bumblefeet)

• Like 1