First time listening to the entire Chinese Democracy album - WOW

I have some friends who listen good music but for some reason don't like GNR or they are like: "Welcome to the Jungle is their only good song, rest of songs are shit." (never even heard other songs) I'd like to show them some songs from CD 'cause it has nothing to do with old Guns. But CD is so different and "strange" so I'm sure my friends would hate it so I don't even try. :lol:

Madagascar would've sounded so much better if Axl sang it with some clean vocals, like he did at RIR 3, and not like he was taking a shit. That's the biggest disappointment on the album for me.

That and the Street of Dreams intro being changed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bumblefeet said:

I personally don't get the preference for the demo versions. The solo on Catcher was a patch job (Brian May himself disavowed it), many of the demos have backing tracks, drums, samples and transitions that sound dated and incomplete and luckily got pushed way back for the album mix (CD, Better, TWAT). I own the demos bootleg but I rarely listen to it. The album versions are far superior.

The solos on CD are all patch work too LOL

Axl cut and pasted the whole album together.   

41 minutes ago, Crazyman said:

Madagascar would've sounded so much better if Axl sang it with some clean vocals, like he did at RIR 3, and not like he was taking a shit. That's the biggest disappointment on the album for me.

That and the Street of Dreams intro being changed.

Yeah, I remember that Street of dreams sounded great with the additional guitar melody that wasn't included on CD. Madagascar sounded a lot better at RIR as well. Conclusion: I agree with everything you said ;) 

• Like 1

There is too much happening at once in a lot of moments. This specific characteristic limits "Catcher in the Rye" for me. It should've been simple, like "Patience," but there are about four or five musical elements happening at the same time and it's too much to comprehend.

"Better" is a good song, in my opinion. "Prostitute" is the best, even most heartfelt and emotional song. "IRS" is the most underrated song. The riff on IRS is pretty good, to me. Other than that, the rest is somewhere between below average and slightly above average. It's a good album, and I'd even classify it as the next step for the "Guns N' Roses" discography, but it's not better than the UYIs or AFD. It even misses on the charming factor of Lies. ChiDem doesn't know what it's supposed to be. It's too all over the place and has too much going on musically for me to think it's better than just "good."

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Back in 1987.

The biggest argument people usually make against this to me is "...BUT AFD THOUGH!". Here's my thoughts on the situation: I like or love 13 of the 14 songs on CD. I like or love 9 of the 12 tracks on AFD. So overall, I like CD more than AFD.

It's obviously all subjective and personal preference, but here's my argument.

I would argue that, while I also like just 8 or 9 of the 12 AFD songs and enjoy 10 of the 14 songs on UYI II, the preference of more individual songs doesn't mean the album is better. AFD comes together as a whole much better than UYI I, UYI II, or ChiDem. Even if I don't like "Anything Goes" much, it fits with the rest of the album in terms of vibe, tempo, and the story told. Same thing for "You're Crazy." It "belongs" on AFD.

Only the four B sides on Lies can compare in how they mesh with one another, but that's four songs compared to a full album.

40 minutes ago, Hasan--97 said:

Madagascar was the weak link, sounded really clean at the 2002 vmas also 

how on earth is it Madagascar the weak link with songs like Scrapped and Raid?

i like the rough vocals...i think it goes well with the song about being beat down but refusing to give up

Edited by -W.A.R-

8 hours ago, maxpax said:

UYI was also overproduced but perfect. Except My World...which gave us a hint in which direction Axl wanted to go ~> NIN. CD was changed so many times that they washed out the blues, dirty ol' rock n roll, punk and rawness of GnR. And then a guy called Pitman remixed these 1000 ideas of Axl and 100s of different musicians...CD is weird shit. As a solo record great, but as a gnr record it failed.

Comparing My World to NIN is offensive to NIN.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

how on earth is it Madagascar the weak link with songs like Scrapped and Raid?

i like the rough vocals, i think it goes well with the song about beating down but refusing to give up

I like the song but when its with clean vocals rather then the raspy vocals used in the album  

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Chinese Democracy should be re-released in acoustic form. We would be able to sense the soul of those songs and realize how amazing they are :)

Absolutely. I mean they don't have to do the whole album... but there's some killer songs in there buried in overproduction. Acoustic Madagascar... uhhhhh I need it. And better-Better.

5 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

After 8 years I still have the feel

n't get it completlblueth it,  it's obsessing. Sound  so great I'm lost everytime

I think Chinese's colour is dark red, Shackler is definitely blue, Better is green, obvious, SOD is light red, If The World yellow, twat gray, catcher yellow blue light, scraped red/pink, riad gray/blue, Sorry dark red, IRS yellow, Madagascar heavy green, TIL is black/violet, Prostitute light blue. It's a great palette of colours, the finest piece of art.

Gonna listen If The World and I.R.S.

For me itas,

Chidem is red

Shacklers is yellow

Better is blue

SOD is blue

ITW Is green

TWAT is red

Catcher is blue

Scraped and Riad I dont have colors for

Sorry is Blue

IRD is red

TiL is yellow

Prostitue is yellow

29 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

Absolutely. I mean they don't have to do the whole album... but there's some killer songs in there buried in overproduction. Acoustic Madagascar... uhhhhh I need it. And better-Better.

Uuuh don't make me start dreaming/drooling about it... :drool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hasan--97 said:

I like the song but when its with clean vocals rather then the raspy vocals used in the album  

agree to disagree

one of the things that took awhile to warm up to on CD was Axl's clean vocals and im still not crazy about them

alot of people saying demo versions are better. no the album versions are better but when i want a change i love listening to the acapella versions.

and whats with all you guns n roses fans saying you have not heard CD yet and you regard it as an axl solo album ? its the second best guns n roses album(after AFD) released.

i forget what forum member said it but he thinks CD is the most underrated rock album of all time. and i agree with him. 

• Like 3