Metallica/GnR Tour: Did GnR blow it?

6 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Yes me too, and for me they do. So, imo, yes they do. 

I don't doubt Metallica out did GNR on that particular tour. If only Metallica had stayed that way instead of trying to go hard rock with Load and Reload and then whatever it was they were doing with St Anger :/ 

That album was way worse than Chinese Democracy, I can at least listen to bits of CD if I have to. 

lol, give it a rest blowhard.  If you've seen several bands all multiple times I highly doubt they "blow away" any of the other bands you've seen several times by choice.  Make note you said "blow away" not just better.  

Additionally you obviously didn't see Metallica in the 80s.

Finally, we aren't talking about records, but live performances, so stay on subject, but Metallicas real issue is they lost Cliff.  He was their musical moral compass really.  Jason sufficed for a period of time until James and Lars let their egos get in the way and totally destroy a truely great band.

Edited by tsinindy

11 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

lol, give it a rest blowhard.  If you've seen several bands all multiple times I highly doubt they "blow away" any of the other bands you've seen several times by choice.  Make note you said "blow away" not just better.  

Additionally you obviously didn't see Metallica in the 80s.

Finally, we aren't talking about records, but live performances, so stay on subject, but Metallicas real issue is they lost Cliff.  He was their musical moral compass really.  Jason sufficed for a period of time until James and Lars let their egos get in the way and totally destroy a truely great band.

I see you have made my mind up for me about it all. Thank you for that. 

I saw the Kansas City show in Sept. 1992.  I'd say this show GnR and Metallica were equal.  Hetfield was not able to play guitar due to the burn in Montreal a few weeks earlier, so it was strange seeing Hetfield as a lead singer walking around with a mic.  But they pulled it off and had a great show.  Hetfield did finish the show playing guitar on "Enter Sandman", the crowd went nuts.

Since this show was the first show in Missouri since the St. Louis riot, we knew Axl was gonna bring it up and rant about St. Louis.  After the rant he told Slash to change his guitar, they switched the song to "Out to get me".  Maybe Axl had something to prove because a lot of the crowd was at the St. Louis show (including me). 

Most of this show is/was on YouTube.  Not the best quality but better than nothing.  Sure brought back good memories for me.

5 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Of course you're wrong, mainly bc you weren't there.  Metallica consistently destroyed GnR on that specific tour.  What James said is totally on point, other than Metallica having a "lean" set list.  They played the same basic set they had been playing since they started touring in support of the black album.  

The audience at these shows was 1/4 hardcore Met fans, 1/4 hardcore GnR fans and 50% casual metal fans and chics, etc that had no real allegiance to either band.

Met came out night in and night out and won a lot of the 50% over with no bullshit, GnR did not.

I was there in 1992 at the Hoosier Dome in Indianapolis and trust me GnR was not nearly as awe-inspiring as they were just one year prior.  Metallica was every bit as good  as every other time I had seen them to that point which was 5-6.

if you think Metallica wasn't in GnR's league you need to reconsider that, bc that tour specifically and GnR's immediate demise was the second biggest factor in Metallica becoming the biggest band on the planet once GnR completely vacated the scene a year later.

I don't need to reconsider anything..my mind was made up in 1992. You have a habit of not being able to accept or even respect anyone else's views but your own. I'm glad that you enjoyed Metallica's set. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

I don't need to reconsider anything..my mind was made up in 1992. You have a habit of not being able to accept or even respect anyone else's views but your own. I'm glad that you enjoyed Metallica's set. 

Read your own words....then you'll realize what I said and why, and you can't argue with the consensus regardless of your own opinion or view and I believe that is what the OP was asking.   Was what James said accurate or not, and in most people's opinion it was.  Keep speaking for yourself, but don't deny the prevailIng opinion while doing so. 

Fuck I can say Creed is the greatest band ever, that doesn't make it fucking so.

Edited by tsinindy

Just now, tsinindy said:

Read your own words....then you'll realize what I said and why, and you can't argue with the consensus regardless of your own opinion or view and I believe that is what the OP was asking.   Was what James said accurate or not, and in most people's opinion it was.  Keep speaking for yourself, but don't deny the prevailInt opinion while doing so. 

Fuck I can say Creed is the greatest band ever, that doesn't make it fucking so.

I respect the prevalent opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree with me. Peace. 

Even a show of Axl's 2006 version of fake GnR I went to blew the Metallica concert I saw away. And I severely dislike fake GnR. Not that the Metallica show I saw was bad or anything, but it also wasn't anything special.

That said, yes obviously GnR (mostly Axl) messed it up big time on that tour. Can't really blame James Hetfield, etc for what they're saying.

Edited by Lumikki

Axl nailed it. Wouldn't be as interesting looking back without the riot. Hetfield's hand and beard caught fire but that was still not enough for Axl to ignore his own needs. I think somebody had to do it, it was a selfish move that was maybe morally wrong, but he was just being himself and that only fed the legend of the band.

Nailed it. As for the tour as a whole, it went pretty good I'd say considering James hated Axl back then.

Edited by Rovim

I think it was more due to the "circus show" than to GnR being late on stage. I saw the two bands back then within a few days from each other. I've never been a Metallica fan (or a metal fan in general), I've just liked some songs and respected them as one of the best of their genre, but I must admit that their show was brainstorming. I can imagine what it was like for a hardcore rock/metal crowd to see in the same night Metallica and then GnR with a bunch of other people on stage (backing singers, horn players, synth players) and Axl's piano solos. As much as they delivered and were energetic with Axl running around, the overall spectacle alienated those audiencies, and waiting 1-2 hours for it just made it seem worse than it was. Had Gnr given a 1988-like show, they'd have won the game hands down despite the delay.

As for other bands hating GnR at that time (grunge bands in particular), that was mostly because of their perception of GnR as a sell-out mainstream stadium act. The "circus show", the expensive videos etc. came to "justify" that perception.  Axl's rockstar diva-like attitude played a big part, too; He was surrounded by assistants and bodyguards, he was dating a supermodel and associated with fashion designers... On the other hand, he was generous and really liked those bands as well as Metallica and FnM. He took a lot of shit and insults by them before reacting in his own impulsive and crude manner. He must have been frustrated and hurt by all this but he couldn't understand why they disliked him so much.

Axl's big mistake was that he'd seen post-Appetite GnR as a Rolling Stones level band; not 1966 or 1968 Stones, but 1990 Stones, that is an almost 30 years old band, still great and all, but fully professional and aiming at a mainly adult and middle-aged audience. He was fascinated by how Mick Jagger did things, and wanted GnR to do what the Stones did regarding shows, band business and behaviour. Needless to say that this couldn't work for a two album band with a mostly teenage and young adult audience.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Axl nailed it. Wouldn't be as interesting looking back without the riot. Hetfield's hand and beard caught fire but that was still not enough for Axl to ignore his own needs. I think somebody had to do it, it was a selfish move that was maybe morally wrong, but he was just being himself and that only fed the legend of the band.

Nailed it. As for the tour as a whole, it went pretty good I'd say considering James hated Axl back then.

No he didn't, that's factually inaccurate.

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Nah.

James hated Axl. Here's a clip of James mocking him when he's not around:

I'm glad you have YouTube to educate you, however James did not hate Axl before the tour, his dislike of Axl came from touring with him.  Specifically the Montreal incident.

Just now, tsinindy said:

I'm glad you have YouTube to educate you, however James did not hate Axl before the tour, his dislike of Axl came from touring with him.  Specifically the Montreal incident.

How do you know that?

12 hours ago, RONIN said:

" I only like you guys, Nirvana, Jane's Addiction and two other bands, and all of you hate me.

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

On the other hand, he was generous and really liked those bands as well as Metallica and FnM. He took a lot of shit and insults by them before reacting in his own impulsive and crude manner. He must have been frustrated and hurt by all this but he couldn't understand why they disliked him so much.

Despite everything else (and the everything else being mostly Axl's fault), this has always made me feel really bad for him.

Just now, Rovim said:

How do you know that?

Because I was fucking 22 at the time and subscribed to Hit Parader, Circus, Kerrang and read every piece of information on this tour and these two specific bands at the time including MtV interviews with James, Lars, Axl and other members of both bands.  That's how I know.  Do you even know when that YouTube clip you posted was actually filmed?

I just think GNR were way too out of control to be co-headlining with anyone at the time. If GNR and Metallica co-headlined now, they'd get along fine. 

Plus there was a clip of Hetfield reading the GNR rider and he went "you don't want to read our rider", because James is sober and it's probably all health foods and tea backstage. I'm sure Hetfield's shocked that Axl/DC is proving to be a success and is being a good bandmate. 

Hetfield hated Sunset Strip bands in general back in the day and he lumped GNR in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Because I was fucking 22 at the time and subscribed to Hit Parader, Circus, Kerrang and read every piece of information on this tour and these two specific bands at the time including MtV interviews with James, Lars, Axl and other members of both bands.  That's how I know.  Do you even know when that YouTube clip you posted was actually filmed?

oh... so you know cause you've read Hit Parader when it was still a thing. Still not sure we actually know if James hated Axl just because the shit he pulled with the riot or he just didn't like him before.

Kiedis also didn't like just from watching the WTTJ music video and they took a picture together. Just because he really hated him for the riot doesn't mean he didn't hate him before.

The amount of magazines you've read is impressive, I'm sure, but that doesn't mean shit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

oh... so you know cause you've read Hit Parader when it was still a thing. Still not sure we actually know if James hated Axl just because the shit he pulled with the riot or he just didn't like him before.

Kiedis also didn't like just from watching the WTTJ music video and they took a picture together. Just because he really hated him for the riot doesn't mean he didn't hate him before.

The amount of magazines you've read is impressive, I'm sure, but that doesn't mean shit.

lulz....were you even born in 1992?