Locomotive vs Breakdown vs Pretty Tied Up

What is best in life?  

259 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Breakdown because the lyrics are incredible. "Funny how ev'rythin' was roses when we held onto the guns..." I love the first verse as well and all in all, it's just captivatingly odd.

Locomotive is a close second for similar reasons as above, however for what the song contains it's a little bit long for me, other than the weird outro the structure is pretty formulaic and predictable. Still has some brilliant hooks and lyrics though, plus Slash's main riff is fantastic.

Pretty Tied Up always just felt like an Appetite leftover that wasn't good enough to make the cut. (Although I prefer it over Anything Goes). I do think the second verse is great song writing though. Very sleazy and simple, yet memorable.

I got you guys (and myself) the hardest task of all - what's better? The intro of Breakdown or the outro of Locomotive? Whoa... I don't think I'll ever be able to answer that question...

Edited by scooby845

9 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

It's a great song but they just piled too much stuff on in the studio.

"They" meaning Axl.  It is still great though even with that stuff. Imagine how much greater it would be without it?

Dang I feel all alone in my love for Pretty Tied Up. I catch myself singing it subconsciously a lot....  "I just found a million dollars that someone forgot..." Plus all those years of mishearing "cool ranch dressing" haha 

I voted for Pretty Tied Up, because to me it's just the all around best song. The main riff is just incredible. Fun lyrics

Locomotive is a close second. The lyrics and the outro are great. But sometimes the song just seems to drag on for too long.

Breakdown is a cool song, but not nearly on the same level as those two IMO.

9 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Locomotive, although Breakdown has some cool lyrical imagery.

Locomotive is the direction that I always hoped GN'R would have taken had they stayed together; epic, heavy and complex. 

Yea and it's fueled by Slash. You see a little of that complexity in Snakepit and VR. Serial Killer, Pills etc. You see a shit load of it in Slash and SMKC.

Songs like Locomotive, Coma, Don't Damn Me, Pretty Tied up & DTTJ with Axl's vision songs thrown in would've made for an ABSOLUTELY EPIC followed up to UYI. Woud've further cemented their already glorious legacy.

It would've been the perfect direction for those 3 guys minus Izzy & Steven being involved

Edited by Top-Hatted One

Locomotive has the groove and the ambience (at the end)

However I love Breakdown.  There is something about Axl's vocal delivery and the general vibe about the song that is just very awesome and totally unique.  GNR has not done a song like that since

38 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Not entirely related but for all the guitar nerds out there i'm pretty sure i read somewhere Slash had his wah pedal left half on during his solos in Locomotive which gives that high pitch you hear, interesting tid bit of info!

by mistake or intentionally? 

6 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Not entirely related but for all the guitar nerds out there i'm pretty sure i read somewhere Slash had his wah pedal left half on during his solos in Locomotive which gives that high pitch you hear, interesting tid bit of info!

Like VR's

Pills, Demons etc

1 hour ago, Billsfan said:

Pretty tied up by far.. The chick I knew didn't live on melrose but It's literally the story of my life. Obey your master!! 

Also I love how the band doesn't play any of the 3 songs listed no more :P 

What do you mean "no more".  GnR haven't played any of these songs since 1992 and Breakdown has only been played twice.  I think that's what the OP is intending...these are pretty much (with a few exceptions like Dead Horse possibly), the crown jewels of the deep cuts that haven't been played since the Illusions days now that Coma has been.  So, if you HAVE to pick, what would you pick?

Love Pretty Tied Up, but hard not to say Breakdown though.  

44 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

What do you mean "no more".  GnR haven't played any of these songs since 1992 and Breakdown has only been played twice.  I think that's what the OP is intending...these are pretty much (with a few exceptions like Dead Horse possibly), the crown jewels of the deep cuts that haven't been played since the Illusions days now that Coma has been.  So, if you HAVE to pick, what would you pick?

Oh boy.. Here we go..

Well I understand everything you've said. I answered the question in the topic at hand as presented. I also stated the obvious that they don't play these songs anymore..

This doesn't have to be a difficult thing..

38 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Oh boy.. Here we go..

Well I understand everything you've said. I answered the question in the topic at hand as presented. I also stated the obvious that they don't play these songs anymore..

This doesn't have to be a difficult thing..

I just like to make difficult, you should know that by now :)

Anyway, I'll stick with Breakdown, but my friends play in a band, they do a few covers here and there.....like Strutter by Kiss or Under Pressure by Queen, etc....I've been on them for the longest time to do "Pretty Tied Up", but they refuse, ugh

11 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I just like to make difficult, you should know that by now :)

Anyway, I'll stick with Breakdown, but my friends play in a band, they do a few covers here and there.....like Strutter by Kiss or Under Pressure by Queen, etc....I've been on them for the longest time to do "Pretty Tied Up", but they refuse, ugh

:thumbsup::hug::awesomeface:

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

what has been played more - Locomotive or Breakdown?