Steven & Deanna Adler Reddit AMA - January 26th

1 hour ago, sanity_lost said:

The only new thing learned from this AMA was Steven's favorite color. And he has his eye on a drum opening somewhere.

I will have to agree with this. People in here are making all kind of assumptions about him being no longer involved but is anything he said abut the current band a surprise? I mean, REALLY?!?!

Steven is disappointed it's NOT the appetite lineup touring. He always spoke of his era like the only era that mattered. He told Eddie Trunk 5 guy make GNR and if Sorum wanted to play illusion era material he would be fine. He's told multiple sources that over the years. He didn't even give Gilby Clarke credit for being in the old lineup even though they're buddies. So can anybody be surprised that GNR touring with any drummer NOT named Steven Adler would be disappointing to Adler? He said Izzy wanted to do it as well, we knew that. Izzy said they wouldn't split the loot. Therefore, he clearly wanted to be in and even Izzy can't be crazy enough to believe he should get equal pay to show up whenever the hell he feels he should like an entitled child, right?!?!

Steven's translator wasn't accurate, to be fair. He called Izzy, Dizzy apparently. The way it read wasn't even completely grammatically correct. All I'm saying is, Adler said he was disappointed it wasn't the Appetite lineup. Does anyone think Axl would really be surprised by that? And by looking at Steven in the pics on tour with Frank, Melissa, etc. Considering he's even friends with Frank (or so says Frank), I think it was a compromise he clearly can live with.

Point is...I'm not convinced Adler is completely out. I'm also not convinced he would be revealing the future dates and times that he would be appearing at. Just saying, maybe we shouldn't all lose it over him being out when we don't know he's out... end rant

Edited by Billsfan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Slash said. “I mean, if everybody wanted to do it and do it for the right reasons, I think the fans would love it. I think it might be fun at some point to try and do that.”

That's what he said in May, 2015!! Sad how he's idea of "everybody" and "right reasons" changed in a matter of a few months :(

I'm sure he already knew exactly what was happening when he said that. If you think of the size of the undertaking in terms of time commitment for the band and crew, plus securing the venues etc, and all the other planning it takes he pretty much would have had to. These things don't get put together overnight.

1 hour ago, sanity_lost said:

The only new thing learned from this AMA was Steven's favorite color. And he has his eye on a drum opening somewhere.

That and he was let down after doing a few songs with guns NITLT TOUR.

Personally I reckon he saw that blue haired raver skank on stage and heard frank slaughtering his songs and was turned off.

Adler has always just wanted the original 5.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I am amazed that today's interview is creating such negativity among GNR fans. Steven seemed really out of touch with what may or may not be going on. Before the interview, everyone was excited about the tour, Axl mentioned in interviews about having some new music he had shared with Duff and Slash, he managed to mend their broken relationship back together, no one really knows what is going on except those currently in the band.... but then this interview with Steven, which really did not have much clarity, has bummed fans out, everyone is bashing Axl and saying they are losing interest in GNR...with fans like these, who needs enemies??? Not trying to start any arguments, I am just disgusted with it all. I could not just sit here and not say something. I am not meaning to offend any of you, just stating my opinion. :smiley-confused2::smiley-confused2:

To Slash, Duff and Axl...if by chance you read this, I just want to say Thank You for getting the tour together and keeping GNR alive. This fan of thirty years appreciates what you are doing. :headbang:

Try not to mind it to much. This forum tends to overact to the tiniest things.

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

Of course A$xl, $la$h and Duff$ are the ones to blame for this bullshit Gun$ n Alien$ tour

Specially Axl cause its pretty obvious that he runs the whole thing and calls most of the shots

("You call your shots and I call mine", right?)

BUT that doesnt take the blame away from these two people Richard the guitar player and Frank the drummer

The only right thing for these two people to do would be step out of it 

Walk out 

Leave 

Stay out of the way 

Let it happen

Let Guns n Roses happen

You just don't stay in the way of Guns n fucking Roses

===

Specially not after riding the ride of your life for more than a decade on the back of the best singer ever and the best rock songs ever written

Yet they stood in the way of Guns n Roses

That's what these 2 people did.

They didnt have the presence of mind to realize that (once Slash and Duff were back) leaving was the only right thing to do

To give way to Izzy Stradlin

To give way to Steven Adler

To give way to Guns n Roses

===

The good news in all this nonsense is that they still have a chance to do it

Its up to them and nobody else

Yep the original 5 won't happen unless frank, fortus and blue haired freak leaves.

They are there for their paycheck so doubt that's happening any time soon and none of them are strong enough to make the same money elsewhere.

Just hoping one day axl wakes up and fires them. Balls in his court to get the original 5 happening. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I am amazed that today's interview is creating such negativity among GNR fans. Steven seemed really out of touch with what may or may not be going on. Before the interview, everyone was excited about the tour, Axl mentioned in interviews about having some new music he had shared with Duff and Slash, he managed to mend their broken relationship back together, no one really knows what is going on except those currently in the band.... but then this interview with Steven, which really did not have much clarity, has bummed fans out, everyone is bashing Axl and saying they are losing interest in GNR...with fans like these, who needs enemies??? Not trying to start any arguments, I am just disgusted with it all. I could not just sit here and not say something. I am not meaning to offend any of you, just stating my opinion. :smiley-confused2::smiley-confused2:

To Slash, Duff and Axl...if by chance you read this, I just want to say Thank You for getting the tour together and keeping GNR alive. This fan of thirty years appreciates what you are doing. :headbang:

It certainly is. Blaming Axl isn't fair because Stevens work ethic before GnR wasn't good, and that's coming from his former band mates. Also what Slash said about doing it for the right reasons could mean anything. Maybe the right reasons he meant were money. But on the other side of the coin if Axl stated putting the original 5 back together just wouldn't work with Izzy and Steven because of past incidences then why was he willing to work things out with Slash. I don't think it will ever be figured out and Axl will never speak about it, much less anyone else.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterNorth said:

None of it makes any sense from a fan perspective...

...until you take into consideration that the guy who stole the corporate identity had his birth father allegedly rape him and then leave his life around age 2.  He subsequently decided to put his career in the hands of his ex-girlfriends' (who also walked out on him) nanny and the rest of her sycophant children.  Outside of this family, his closest advisor is a long-time hanger-on (now tour manager) who reminds us daily that the President isn't HIS president, and no matter your political leanings, orchestrated an on stage event that was bound to piss off at least half of the bands' fan base.

Which is all a long way of saying that Mr. Axl Rose might not be the greatest decision maker.

to be fair i don't think its just Axl holding Izzy/Steven out. Izzy probably wants equal share of the take (which hes entitled too) which means all of them would have to take a smaller percentage to accommodate.

however they are gonna sellout regardless so why take less? great for their pockets kinda crappy for the fans.

Edited by -W.A.R-

50 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I am amazed that today's interview is creating such negativity among GNR fans. Steven seemed really out of touch with what may or may not be going on. Before the interview, everyone was excited about the tour, .... but then this interview with Steven, which really did not have much clarity, has bummed fans out, everyone is bashing Axl and saying they are losing interest in GNR...

What??? You probably had on ignore about half of the users of this forum all this time until now :lol:

And even if the classic lineup ever happens, there will still be many reasons to complain about...

Axl's voice, the setlist, CD songs, no Estranged, no Bucket, no Bumble, no Fortus, no DJ...

OK, the last one is a bit too much.

But the truth is that after all those years of pain, we could have had now the AFD5 together again. If only there was a little more good will from all of them...

Edited by WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, vloors said:

That and he was let down after doing a few songs with guns NITLT TOUR.

Personally I reckon he saw that blue haired raver skank on stage and heard frank slaughtering his songs and was turned off.

Adler has always just wanted the original 5.

I've tried to write this a couple different ways and regardless of which way I go about it, it sounds like I am bashing Steven when I really don't mean to.

Lets go with I am such a pessimist that I often look like an optimist and it is my pessimistic view that Steven would have been let down even if it was only the five classic guys up on the stage. Steven is the biggest fan of classic GnR that there is. He has been building up expectations and dreaming of a reunion of the five of them together longer than anyone else and a true reunion means more to him than anyone. The problem is that the things you dream about for that long rarely ever live up to expectations.

Those five guys who created and played AFD are different people than they are today. Of them all Steven is the only one who has not grown up. I completely admire him for his ability to live life with such enthusiasm and try to be bright and cheerful after all the shit life has thrown at him, but the others moved on and are not the same people they were back then.

In other words: I am not surprised in the least that playing guest spots at GnR in shows that didn't include Izzy and had a few extras was a let down. I even think that if it was only the five he always dreamed about it would still probably be a let down, though I wish he had a chance to experience it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, downzy said:

Has it ever occurred to anyone that perhaps with Slash and Duff back on board Axl will have the confidence to release new music that perhaps he lacked before?

Just a theory of mine, but when Slash wasn't in the band, Axl might have felt a lot of pressure to live up to past standards with respect to musical output.  With Slash now back on board and perhaps contributing to new music, the possible hesitancy felt by Axl might have gone away.  

Again, just a guess on my part.  But I don't think it's an accident that it took Axl 12 years and multiple guitarists to release new music following Slash's departure.  

Hmmm, yeah, I believe that occured to me :P

I've never been one of those who say "there will never be new music" or "they're just doing it for the money" but as you said, you're guessing. I have those theories as well and I remain hopefull there will be new music kiiiiinda soon but that said, just Axl saying "I showed Slash some things" is not enough for me to be sure they're actually releasing music at some point. I hope he's more confident/relaxed/happy and that translates into a new album but it remains to be seen.

3 hours ago, Johnny Drama said:

I ain't a cynic to your extent (I'll be there with my tits out at the MCG come Valentine's Day) but I'd agree with the basic premise here.

1. AFD lineup plus Dizzy (if it HAS to be done).

2. Mix up the setlists.

3. No one needs the employees around (maybe Richard if Izzy doesn't wanna tour but the rest are gay)

4. Bring the ticket prices down - it's the main complaint as to why people can't go. I paid something $1800 for 4 mates and myself on purchasing for the group. That's ridiculous.

You have to admit though that they could have done this reunion so much better.

- the five (with Dizzy).

- Axl's AC/DC voice

- Lower ticket prices and less overpriced Kiss-esque tat would be nice also.

- Throw in the odd deep cut (Locomotive for Coma. Pretty Tied Up. 14 Years or Dust N' Bones as Izzy will be there).

That would be the ultimate reunion and it is so obtainable if the three stopped being dickheads, Axl started rehearsing and caring about setlists, and everybody was slightly less greedy.

I'd even put up with a couple of Chinese numbers if the above came true!!

It is as if they circumnavigated the biggest obstacle of all, the Axl v Slash thing, then decided to make a mess out of every other aspect of the reunion. An incredible reunion was in their grasp and they bollocksed it up. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

How can you produce the basic - and admittedly magical - ingredient of Axl and Slash reuniting yet pull such a shite tour from that jaws of victory? They were 80% there! They had succeeded during their biggest ordeal, getting Axl and Slash in one room together! Only Guns N' Roses could then produce such a mean-spirited dog's dinner of a regrouping after that triumph of diplomacy and common sense. Consider the fact that all five band members are still alive (and sober), a luxury not awarded to the majority of ageing bands upon regrouping (e.g. Zeppelin, Doors, Queen), yet they seem determined to never be on stage together in the only combination people desire; they instead have decided to indulge in the same Axly 'Area 51' shenanigans rather than put this band back upon a proper footing. 

Their obsession with money has escalated to hitherto unimaginable proportions - they are essentially just second to Kiss now in flogging overpriced tat. How much money do they need? Their setlists are stodgier than last night's leftover pizza, and beneath it all we are left with the fact that we, in purchasing a ticket, are culpable of the same selling down the river of Stradlin and Adler, (and suffer some stupid girl air-fucking behind an unplugged keyboard!).

Nope Messrs. Rose Hudson McKagan, your two ostracised former band mates are just as important as you are and no amount of fabricated 'back problem' stories and perplexing Axlspeak will change that fact.

I probably wouldn't have went anyway if I had to travel any great distance, although I may have been tempted if this money machine rolled into Manchester or Glasgow. Not now.

Long live Adler and Izzy.

It's not just the ridiculous amount of money. Of course I want Izzy and Steven back in Guns. I bought a ticket to see Guns in the summer. But it's also Axl and the fact he already got a drummer and a rhythm player.

Tommy left, Duff was in and showed Axl why Slash should be in Guns again. Axl offered DJ to STILL be a part of the line up.

Are you capable of understanding Axl is not gonna fire their asses just cause we prefer Izzy and Steven? and still Axl tried to incorporate Izzy, but I don't believe for a second he planned on firing Richard when he offered the deal to Izzy.

I think he offered Izzy to also play on stage for a certain amount of money in which point Izzy said fuck that bullshit and it fell apart. That's just my guess though.

As for Steven and giving him just 1-2 tunes to play that's fucked and not ok.

So it's the blinding amount of money and the fact Frank has been in the band for 10 years, Richard for 16 years and Axl just ain't gonna fire them because everything is cool now with Slash and Duff.

If you're gonna reply to this post I expect an intelligent reply or you can fuck right off.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, downzy said:

Has it ever occurred to anyone that perhaps with Slash and Duff back on board Axl will have the confidence to release new music that perhaps he lacked before?

Just a theory of mine, but when Slash wasn't in the band, Axl might have felt a lot of pressure to live up to past standards with respect to musical output.  With Slash now back on board and perhaps contributing to new music, the possible hesitancy felt by Axl might have gone away.  

Again, just a guess on my part.  But I don't think it's an accident that it took Axl 12 years and multiple guitarists to release new music following Slash's departure.  

I think this is a very good point.

Also, Axl knew it would be way harder to get acceptance for his new music before, purely based on Slash not being there. Not necessarily because he didn't have faith in his own music, but just based on fans' feelings.

2 hours ago, downzy said:

Yes, it has occurred to a lot of people here. Axl seems to be more confident on stage. Like now there's Slash and Duff on stage with him, Axl is impressed with Slash's solos on Chinese tunes. He must have thought about what Slash can do on his tunes in the studio or new material.

On the other hand, there is a lot of pressure now if they're gonna do an album with Slash and Duff: now it's 3 gunners so if the album sucks, it's like they don't have it anymore, the chemistry or whatever.

In any case, my guess is Axl always feels the pressure. He wants to deliver a great album and a musical statement everytime. I don't know if it's gonna even help him that much in the confidence department, but if anyone can take Axl's material higher, it's Slash. (and Duff)

I also think Axl will be confident in the material if he thinks it's brilliant. If it's relevant to him now, if he likes it. The rest is secondary, but also can influence him in a positive way. If they complete an album and the 3 of them are in agreement it's great shit, that can help.

But in general, I feel Axl knows when it's good enough and if it's not, he won't release it.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, Ubukitty said:

It certainly is. Blaming Axl isn't fair because Stevens work ethic before GnR wasn't good, and that's coming from his former band mates. Also what Slash said about doing it for the right reasons could mean anything. Maybe the right reasons he meant were money. But on the other side of the coin if Axl stated putting the original 5 back together just wouldn't work with Izzy and Steven because of past incidences then why was he willing to work things out with Slash. I don't think it will ever be figured out and Axl will never speak about it, much less anyone else.

Axl showing up 2 or 3 hours late, Axl not doing rehearsals. Is that great work ethic? Axl being resposible for riots. Axl cancelling tours. That's great work ethic, right? :rolleyes:

Most recently, Axl sounded like Mickey Mouse and being out of breath. Axl is far from being Mr. Work Ethic

Axl is not in a position to cast the first stone when it comes to work ethic

• Like 2

why are most people so damn egoistic? Complaining about the set list all the time.. ALL THE TIME! Occurred to you that there's maybe different people at different shows/locations? I don't think it's fair to bash the band all the time for not pleasing every fan on the planet! 

" Throw in the odd deep cut (Locomotive for Coma. Pretty Tied Up. 14 Years or Dust N' Bones as Izzy will be there)" Yeah for you maybe.. maybe i want to hear coma when they come to Sweden this summer? You can't please all. But i think this set list is as good as it gets for the most of fans out there, plus it's a "reunion" tour so of course they are playing the most common songs. But i do wish after NTIL tour end we will get some more deep cuts and/or new music.

Sorry for Off-topic. just had to :P

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Get used to it. Axl's always the scapegoat. It used to be much worse. Now with the partial reunion there was some positivity, but whenever anything crops up that is not to the fans' liking, it's always automatically Axl's fault.

It could be, of course, but we weren't there, we don't know how it happened. We have no way of knowing what Izzy and Steven wanted or could do. Or what Axl, Slash and Duff want to do. People just assume that Izzy and Steven are willing and able, and Axl's the bad guy once again. No mention anymore of Duff, who seems to be okay with how things are going and used to be praised here for his infinite coolness, wisdom, enterpreneurship... We just don't know what happened behind the scenes.

While I would like to see Izzy and Steven up there, I'm more than happy with what's going on now, as I would never have believed this would ever happen.

Something else, as to ticket prices: not sure why there are such huge differences. Here in Belgium ticket prices are completely normal. I paid as much as I paid to see Adele and just a little more than I paid for AC/DC last year, and GNR is headlining a one day festival, so there will be groups playing all day. Not a bad deal imo. Bring it on!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Padme said:

Axl showing up 2 or 3 hours late, Axl not doing rehearsals. Is that great work ethic? Axl being resposible for riots. Axl cancelling tours. That's great work ethic, right? :rolleyes:

this is a great argument for Izzy/Steven. Axl was even more unreliable than them and he has changed, hes been on time and hasn't stormed off stage.

so how can we hold Izzy and Steven to the fire and assume that Izzy will just flake or Steven will have personal demons bother him? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lio said:

Something else, as to ticket prices: not sure why there are such huge differences. Here in Belgium ticket prices are completely normal. I paid as much as I paid to see Adele and just a little more than I paid for AC/DC last year, and GNR is headlining a one day festival, so there will be groups playing all day. Not a bad deal imo. Bring it on!

Exactly, in Sweden i think the prices were pretty normal for such a band as semi reunited GN'R