The MyGnR 80-Song Marathon

Blackstar

Day 22

Probably one of the very few English speaking bands that cared and wrote a song about a very sensitive Latin American issue.

And Bruce singing a traditional Argentine protest song :heart:

Edited by solstar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

poor woman, she never really had a chance :(

Yeah...I watched the Dateline special on her last night. It made me tear up even though she passed away 20 years ago. Much, much too young...so very tragic. 

• Like 1

Day 22:

The song is about the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl/Ukraine 1986 ! I remember that half of the people in Central Europe did not care much about it, since it happened in the "far distant" UDSSR, the other half has stopped eating fruit and vegetables, and did not let their children play outdoors anymore, the politicians were also not helpful, since their statements about the extent of the disaster were very different, so no one knew at the time what really happened exactly and how to handle it!

• Like 3

Day 5:    A song that you hate to admit you like/a guilty pleasure song

Don't know how a song could possibly be any cheesier than this? And instrumentally it's just as bad. A cheesy basic pop song. But at the same time there's something so cute and naive about it. In a world that's so cold and cynical, I can't help enjoying this silly little tune. It's a prime example of a guilty pleasure song. :D 

• Like 2

Day 22

Hurricane Katrina. I randomly caught some of this benefit show when it aired, I love CCR and I'm a Grohl fan, so this performance just always stuck with me. Solid effort from Dave and the boys.

Edited by J Dog

^^^^ Oh that got me thinking and I gotta cheat.

Cube got down right vicious here. Real personal. But it's a pissed off guy talking on behalf of a lot of pissed off people.

• Like 4

Day 22

2015, the referendum about EU austerity measures. The song is older of course, but it was played a lot at the "NO" camp rallies

Spoiler

The local rapper Killah P, murdered in 2013 by a neo-nazi organization, which had also murdered immigrants and stabbed students and political activists...

These nazi scums have also a legal political party with seats in Parliament. I'd never thought that I would live to see this, especially in this country... :(:fuckyou:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

Day 22

Talkin about a revolution

- The monday demonstrations in East Germany und especially the Fall of the Berlin Wall, 9th November 1989. Everyone who was interested politically, including me, held their breath when the Monday demonstrations in Leipzig and other cities of East Germany became bigger and bigger during the weeks before. Something was going on, people were so so brave and they were marching peacefully. It was wonderful but also always on the edge of being very dangerous. That it would lead to the fall of the Berlin Wall is something no one, literally nobody would have thought possible. At all. I lived in West Germany and in my family we have had great connections to some people behind the iron curtain and we knew what life was like in East Germany and elsewhere. The night of november 9th and the day 10th were of the most touching emotional days in my life. The Wall is down, people are passing freely, no dead, no injured. It was overly fantastic. We were very grateful and very touched. I feel like this about this peaceful and lucky revolution until this day.

Tracy Chapman got played on the radio a lot at the time. This is a live concert from before that time.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, soon said:

@janrichmondmy curiosity is getting the best of me: were you in the lobby of Tower 1 on 9/11 ?

Oh god no! I have seen many documentaries about that horrific day and there's one by 2 french brothers who were there to film the fire crew and were caught up in the whole thing. It's such a moving piece of film and that tune is still playing through the lobby in tower 1 

and outside tower2 had fallen, they didn't even know it had fallen. To this day it still makes me cry when i watch that film.

1 minute ago, janrichmond said:

Oh god no! I have seen many documentaries about that horrific day and there's one by 2 french brothers who were there to film the fire crew and were caught up in the whole thing. It's such a moving piece of film and that tune is still playing through the lobby in tower 1 

and outside tower2 had fallen, they didn't even know it had fallen. To this day it still makes me cry when i watch that film.

OMG wow. i didn't cry, it seemed too, idk, BIG to cry about at the time it was happening. i was scared, that was the one thing...they kept saying that they were gonna hit the Golden Gate Bridge next, or this meant we were at war as of that moment. so many things my brain could not even wrap around. this was also when my dad was in the last stages of cancer and i knew he was near death cos he didn't seem to care much. too heavily medicated cos my dad was THE most patriotic man i have ever known. he died less than a month after 9/11...

2 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Oh, I see.  Its just the way I read your phrasing I guess.  So glad you didnt have to go through that.  

And so many other stories shared about day 22.  Glad everyone is safe and as free as we get to be!

• Like 1