Poll: Dust N' Bones vs. 14 Years

Dust N' Bones vs 14 Years  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, RONIN said:

I always thought of it as saloon music as you said.

14 years and DnB sound like songs you'd hear in some sleazy dive bar where the patrons wear cowboy hats and chew tobacco :lol:

LOL you mean like Texas where i come from? ;) but no i do not chew tobacco!  i have an adorable pair of turquoise colored cowboy ( girl? ) boots though :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

Izzy vocal masterpiece, and obviously I have no idea, wasn't there, but feels like izzy was the heart & soul on this one with no disrespect to his co-writers.   could be wrong, has anyone written or spoken on the origins of dust n bones?  

If you compare D n' B to Izzy's solo material, I would have thought that Izzy was the main writer in that one (it's a great job from everyone). I've always considered it to be an "Izzy song". 

Edited by Fourteenbeers

"14 Years" for me. A little more in your face from the "get go" IMHO while "DnB" is a slower build. Just something about my girlfriend's girlfriends telling her that I'm to blame that's always hit home I guess. :no:

Both very enjoyable tracks though that I fear the typical casual probably overlooks or tosses into the "non-hit" UYI-filler category (which itself is grossly overstated IMHO). 

Dust N' Bones is dark, dirty, and bluesy - one of my favorite Guns songs of all. 14 Years is excellent too, but I give the edge to Dust N' Bones.

I love the guitar work throughout, we get to hear Slash sing, and to me the solo stands out among many of Slash's solos for it's use of the whammy bar for short dives and vibrato. Izzy voices captures the vibe perfectly and I love the lyrics. Guns N' Roses perfection.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

Izzy vocal masterpiece, and obviously I have no idea, wasn't there, but feels like izzy was the heart & soul on this one with no disrespect to his co-writers.   could be wrong, has anyone written or spoken on the origins of dust n bones?  

And maybe it was mostly written by Izzy, we can't know, but because his vocal part is the loudest in the mix doesn't make him the main songwriter. Duff sings throughout most of the song the same part as Izzy but he's not as loud in the mix and he's also been performing it with his Loaded band, so maybe they co-wrote the lyrics and have a more or less equal part in the song? Who knows. I guess my point was that this isn't really only an ''Izzy tune'' as some people here suggest.

Edited by EvanG

22 minutes ago, James Bond said:

we get to hear Slash sing

I could've done without that tbh, I'm not sure 'sing' is the right word, more of a prolonged groan. :lol: Stick to what you're good at Slash, there's a good lad! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

I could've done without that tbh, I'm not sure 'sing' is the right word, more of a prolonged groan. :lol: Stick to what you're good at Slash, there's a good lad! :thumbsup:

On Howard Stern he talked about having a good rock voice, but that he doesn't feel comfortable singing.

3 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

:lol:

Well yeah I certainly wouldn't want to hear him sing a full song, but he's got a cool voice for his 4ish lines here.

Just now, James Bond said:

:lol:

Well yeah I certainly wouldn't want to hear him sing a full song, but he's got a cool voice for his 4ish lines here.

He made it work in a way for his little cameo, I suppose.... now back to the guitar, son. :lol:

• Like 1

I think the others were just pulling songwriting contributions out of their arse to deny Izzy his royalties. Dust N' Bones is one hundred percent Izzy. 14 Years is Izzy and Axl. A similar thing happened with Perfect Crime.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

kind of surprised how lop sided this vote is going.

Me too. I wish I'd voted for Dust n Bones now :lol: It's just hard to deny 14 Years though, it's a perfect rock tune.

35 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Me too. I wish I'd voted for Dust n Bones now :lol: It's just hard to deny 14 Years though, it's a perfect rock tune.

It is near perfect.. I never really liked Axl's contributions live contributions to it but he sounds fine on the record.