The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Sometimes I wonder if he switches it up on purpose because they may have plans to release a live album. Like he'll put more into certain songs at different times so they have a couple of really good versions to choose from. 

Total guess and it'll probably never happen, but it's crossed my mind. 

At this point I think if they release a live album, it'll be one show, warts and all, like Appetite for Democracy. (LA or Toronto 2016 maybe? I don't remember if any other shows were pro-shot and had the posters around the venues about filming).

At most I think they might post a live video of SOYL once this leg of the tour ends. With an advertisement at the end for the box set and SOYL t-shirt :lol:

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

Thing is Axl shut my mouth... again. I really thought he was done for good this time. And now he is sounding better on a lot of songs, some of them even better than 2017. It’s fucking strange, but the only explanation must be that he feels more comfortable using his clean voice. The problem is that he doesn’t sound too good with it and nobody in his circle has the balls to tell him. The China Exchange interview proves this because Axl said that the clean voice was intentional during the CD tour. IDK, once NITL is over we will have some great performances to re-watch. Overall it will be a nice memory. One day he won’t be able to recover from not singing for 6-8 months and that will be the end, but atleast it’s not happening now. I think what’s best for now is to not worry a lot about his voice and enjoy what we have left of the reunion. I trust Axl won’t be a dick and will release a new album with this lineup some day. And also a nice Bluray Documentary + a show telling us how all this got started. But I’m happy Axl got his shit together and is giving fans decent performances (sure, not on 2016 levels but pretty close ATM). I’ll just enjoy Axl from now on. He has changed a lot as a person in this two years and I appreciate that a lot :) 

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, IncitingChaos said:

9:20? Since when does he do this? 

I think he does it when he hasn't got more "power" to sing in falsetto and he drops his voice to low range. Here he had it under control but for example in Rio ending was disaster. But for example This I Love in Download had similiar drops. Sometimes I wonder why he just won't sing this in this lower range it sounds cooler.

15 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

9:20? Since when does he do this? 

A lot of times he does something similar.  In his defense, try to sing the ending of Coma from the "crass communication" line until the end at a performance volume.  Especially try it with rasp in your voice.  It is very difficult.  Of all the complaints about the way he sings some things, he should get a pass on Coma.

6 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

A lot of times he does something similar.  In his defense, try to sing the ending of Coma from the "crass communication" line until the end at a performance volume.  Especially try it with rasp in your voice.  It is very difficult.  Of all the complaints about the way he sings some things, he should get a pass on Coma.

I like how clear his voice projects when he switched haha 

On 7/16/2018 at 11:26 PM, marlon_brando said:

Not sure if it's been discussed somewhere around here but take a look at this: 

He seems...in total control of his voice. It's so good. Wonder what happened because 2006 or 2009 were not in this level.

End of 06 Axl was killing it. 

it would be hard to find a mistake in this entire show 

07 Axl only existed for a few shows I believe but still sounding solid then disappeared again 

On 7/17/2018 at 12:26 AM, marlon_brando said:

Not sure if it's been discussed somewhere around here but take a look at this: 

He seems...in total control of his voice. It's so good. Wonder what happened because 2006 or 2009 were not in this level.

Fitness. The rasp and power take a lot of breath and energy.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Pretty sure we won't have to wait til 2026 for the next Axl/DC tour or album, but if Axl/DC happens before that, then I won't expect great GNR vocals again :(

2016 level of vocals in GnR is propably the best we can get now

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think Axl is aware of how he sounds. It sure seemed so on this leg, with the "I suck" and songs being removed from the setlist on off nights. Unless he can get it back, I doubt he will expose himself with AC/DC.

No idea what's in store for him, really. Unlike most of this forum, I thought this leg was tremendously weak in terms of his vocals. The first few shows were kind of a new low, even for a rusty beggining. A few months of inactivity will surely lead to a dismal return.

I hope he turns it around, but I doubt it at this point. I'd bet on him being worse and worse with each subsequent leg.

• Like 1

I simply refuse to believe he's even trying to improve his vocals. It's all well and good knowing your performance is bad but if you're doing nothing to try and improve then it's not going to get better. His voice will get worse with use if he doesn't train. 

He's not seeming to improve along the tour, even though pulling out some cool stuff in its debut year (2016 - went to see them once in November that year, first gnr show and he nailed it) and doing well with AC/DC (which I really ain't into so idc), but then it just went down.

I think if he commits to somewhat of a training+healthy (voice aimed) routine let's say after NITLT tour ends he would still be able to get back at some level, the only problem is I don't see on him the 'appetite' for that.

Edited by ezosk
addded '(voice aimed)'

39 minutes ago, MildlyArtistic said:

I'd much rather him sing the Coma outro in his deep voice, because it sounds awesome and far more powerful with that voice.

The "It's so easy to be social" line also sounds great in that voice.

Honestly I'd rather he just sing in that voice all the time if he can't be bothered, he can still make it sound gritty and it sounds much better than whatever he's trying to do now. 

• 2 weeks later...