The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

19 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

What if...

...Angus listened to that Rosie from yesterday and decides to get rid of Axl...

...Axl then is so pissed that he decides to make the most amazing GNR album ever just to completely bury AC/DC, as a big FU to Angus...

Okay okay, one can dream :D 

Yeah that performance is kinda worrying tbf lol. 

20 hours ago, Stro said:

Lol. Saying the notoriously bitchy, catty, negative online GNR fanbase is full of fickle cunts that will ALWAYS complain about something = triggered snowflake meltdown.  If you say so. If you could fit in "libtard", that'd give you so much more power and rasp to your post.

That's funny, I'll take that on the chin. Incidentally, I would have voted for Trump if I was American, I hope he gets a second run and I can't wait to see Clinton, Podesta etc in prison :)

44 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Axl must be going deaf, only explanation 

It's either 1) monitor issues, as he sings nearly the whole song in the wrong range, but somewhat gets it right at the end or 2) voice/range issues, he can no longer hit those notes consistently with rasp.

It could be one, both or a mix of both. He's had issues with high notes on this leg, and he had issues with his ear monitor too.

Sorry for my english.

I've been following the forum since 2001. And honestly, he never did any surgery, he just always tried to find the best way to sing. From 88 to 92 you realize how much he saw that he was able to give more power to the voice, and in 93 the voice got weaker, that's a fact. But when he came back, his current voice is the same as Live Era, which is the best voice he's ever had, falsetto mixed with drive in measure. But nowadays, he has nothing to prove to anyone and is sick of singing the same songs, so he does not train before, but during shows. Then the lack of preparation makes the voice become sloppy, and as the shows evolve it improves and puts some of its power, but with caution for some reason.

And for those who have been to concerts since 2010, like me, realizes that something in the live recording does not capture the right voice and energy of the moment. Is different. This voice in the shows is intense and strong. And somehow he may be preserving to continue for a long time.

His voice changed the tone a little bit by age, but in 2010, using Bucharest as an example, he chose to sing the entire show with a drive. I still think I prefer more voice and less drive, but I understand you.

Advice to younger fans. If you want the voice with drive the whole show, forget it. Enjoy while you can, I learned to like the Axl brings nowadays, it looks like Mickey? Sometimes, but I find it good in a weird way. In 2002 when I was 12, I just listened to my old collection, today I prefer to listen to current ones, including my favorite version of YCBM is RAR 2006, and I hated it, but also, one of my favorite shows is Leeds 2002. I think interesting singers who reinvent themselves, imagine how many shows he has done, changes are good. And if he has already put that voice on the CD, it's because he likes it too, so he knows what he's doing.

Edited by jeancarlo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

It's either 1) monitor issues, as he sings nearly the whole song in the wrong range, but somewhat gets it right at the end or 2) voice/range issues, he can no longer hit those notes consistently with rasp.

It could be one, both or a mix of both. He's had issues with high notes on this leg, and he had issues with his ear monitor too.

Or they fixed up the sound during the solo and it was sorted out by the last chorus

15 hours ago, Gem Archer said:

this is bad, he's singing in a completely different key....

It's not that bad!

Don't be so negative!

Axl isn't 25 anymore, he's 56!

We're you actually at the concert? People actually PAID for that, you know? :lol:

In all seriousness though, that was fucking terrible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

Yes.. But.. getting tired of this "high notes issues" hypothesis. Prove me that's the case as a general fact (that underline means that TIL in Berlin can't be used to prove a general fact for this tour)

Meanwhile, this represents his ability to hit high notes. In general. Listen at 1:15. And the same part at any Maddy been played so far.

I’ve been pretty impressed by, say, his Shadow performances so far especially after 2018 got off to an absolutely dreadful start. Timing issues aside he usually sounds pretty damn great.

However, on the other end of the spectrum, I could not get through that Rosie posted above. Ouch.

1 hour ago, AFGnR said:

Jungle in Poland 2017 vs. 2018, recorded by the same person:

2017 just edging out 2018 here.

Also, note to self: See GnR in Poland!

In first verse absolutely

Choruses are about the same

second verse 2017 win

and third 2018 win for me, better low part 

Edited by sl4yer
d

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Yes.. But.. getting tired of this "high notes issues" hypothesis. Prove me that's the case as a general fact (that underline means that TIL in Berlin can't be used to prove a general fact for this tour)

Meanwhile, this represents his ability to hit high notes. In general. Listen at 1:15. And the same part at any Maddy been played so far.

TIL sounded beautiful for me in Madrid 2017, but it was crap in Madrid 2018, Axl almost did not use rasp in the song and he struggled to reach the high notes, while in 2017 he nailed it

4 hours ago, fanfzero said:

TIL sounded beautiful for me in Madrid 2017, but it was crap in Madrid 2018, Axl almost did not use rasp in the song and he struggled to reach the high notes, while in 2017 he nailed it

Just.. no? I only came over half of the song from 2018 in Madrid on YouTube - the choruses before and after the solo. He has "just" slightly more rasp than the studio version. Not ok?

Honestly, the difference is "crap" and nailing it" between these two versions? You guys can't be serious? There's differences on word by word comparison, yes, but overall there's one superior over another? No. Just no.

But comparing Madrid 2018 to Madrid 2017 , or my morning boner 2017 to 2018 on one single occasion, doesn't make it general.

Here's from Netherlands 2018, and his rasp and depth even on the someti.es shaky verses is superior to both versions above. Not sure I even have to add "in my opinion" as it's closer to a fact.

And another TIL version from 2018 even more superior to you "2017 nailed it version" 

Edit*

Edited by shootingstar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fanfzero said:

And I have to just make another point.. no, he does not "struggle. It's when he has to struggle his rasp comes forward. That's why he always use more rasp 9,5/10 times at the 2nd half of the last don't cry chorus, or 9,5/10 times at the 2nd half of the chorus on civil war since those song was reintroduced. When he comes out of breath his more demanding but polished and clean vocal style can't do it, so he goes into 90's mode to manage it.  Like 184 out of the last 192 times these songs were played live or something.

• Like 1

And to guy who said WTTJ from 2017 is killing 2018 one

It's not much difference just 2017 has more rasp, and no in every show.

For example, compare Apollo to this WTTJ from Poland. If it's not the same 2018 win for me. And on Polish GnR forum all the people who was at Gdansk and Chorzow says Axl in Chorzow was better or slightly better.

On 7/9/2018 at 6:23 PM, Jw224 said:

Yeah, I feel like some people are legit just convincing themselves that he sounds good. Definitely the worst vocally he's possibly every been. 

You aren't the first person to go "people who think he sounds good are in denial and are convincing themselves of ___" here, but honestly I do disagree!

In the sense that I have not really seen a person say he sounds better or on par with 2016, or saying he sounds better than ever.  And I haven't have seen denies that he is struggling at times, however I can easily see people honestly still digging the way he sings overall - especially the second half of the shows this year.  I think so, and I still would happily pay money to see this current version of GNR.  That isn't me convincing myself of anything though, that is just how I feel 

I just feel when we get into the "people are just forcing themselves to hear something" argument, it gets into some murky waters logically speaking.  

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1