10/23/17 - Hartford, CT - XL Center

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

There are also these lines:

What I thought was beautiful
Don't live inside of you
Anymore

Again, I have no idea why that couldn't be applied to a male or female friend. 

40 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I agree with most of your opinions, and don't even deny "Street of Dreams"/"The Blues" could be about Slash, but - as others have pointed out - the general public seems to view "Sorry" as being more directly about Slash, and they have played that a few times. We'll get "Street of Dreams" at some point when Axl feels ready for it. I mean just look at the timeline regarding this lineup and Chinese Democracy until now...

January 2016: The band officially announces Slash and Duff rejoined the group.

MyGNR Board: They aren't going to play any Chinese Democracy songs

April 2016: Troubadour and Vegas shows: Band plays "Chinese Democracy," "Better," and "This I Love."

MyGNR Board: Ok, they might play some of the staples of the album, but we surely won't hear anymore songs from this album.

April 2016-August 2016: Mexico and North American stadium tour: band plays "There was a Time," "Catcher in the Rye," and "Sorry." 

MyGNR Board: Ok, we DEFINITELY won't hear anymore from this album. 

October 2017: Band plays "Madagascar," "Prostitute," and makes "There was a Time" a more consistent song in the set list. 

This is not supposed to be cheeky, just to be shown that Axl clearly considers these songs on equal footing with older Guns N' Roses material and nothing seems to be off the table. I consider nothing an impossibility, but the songs that would truly surprise me would be "Shackler's Revenge" (very different from anything Slash has played before) and "Riad n' the Bedouins" (only because this has not been played since 2002, and was only played occasionally then). Who knows, "Shackler's Revenge" may not even be that long of a shot since we saw Duff play it in 2014 . 

For the record, I never said they wouldn't play CD songs. The only ones I've ever said I didn't think they'd play were Riad and The Blues. 

Riad because they never played it past 2002, so it just seems gone for whatever reason. The Blues because I wholeheartedly believe it's about Slash. 

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

That's the common thought but I see no reason why that couldn't be applied towards any person, male or female. 

Yea but seems a bit whimsical to be about Slash...a more hard hitting song about Slash would of surely been par for course...
Personally I'm sure there's a few songs about Slash in the vault...."Crucify the dead" by Slash is far more obviously about Axl, I'd say...

even if it's not. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Again, I have no idea why that couldn't be applied to a male or female friend. 

For the record, I never said they wouldn't play CD songs. The only ones I've ever said I didn't think they'd play were Riad and The Blues. 

Riad because they never played it past 2002, so it just seems gone for whatever reason. The Blues because I wholeheartedly believe it's about Slash. 

Sorry, I definitely knew you never said the band wouldn't play Chinese Democracy songs. I was just attempting to give the forum's general vibe over the last few years. I really think "Riad" would be the only thing off the table entirely. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Sorry, I definitely knew you never said the band wouldn't play Chinese Democracy songs. I was just attempting to give the forum's general vibe over the last few years. I really think "Riad" would be the only thing off the table entirely. 

Just curious, why do you think Riad would be off the table?  It's on my wish list.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Just curious, why do you think Riad would be off the table?  It's on my wish list.  

Because it's the only song from the Album that wasn't played live since 2002. They haven't even played it at the Osaka concert in 2009 (they played every other song from that Album) I consider even Oh My God as more realistic because it was rehearsed in 2011

Edited by Sosso

4 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Because it's the only song from the Album that wasn't played live since 2002. They haven't even played it at the Osaka concert in 2009 (they played every other song from that Album) I consider even Oh My God as more realistic because it was rehearsed in 2011

I wonder if that accusation of plagiarism is not why they never play this song.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Derick said:

They could skip the intro from the Album, couldn't they? They could add the intro from 2002

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

Here's another Prostitute video. From yours truly, but you'll have to forgive the skipped beginning and middle. I was torn between - "do I just put the phone in my pocket and enjoy" or "do I record this so I can live it again later". You'll see I changed my mind a couple times! Awesome to see live though. I have a couple others that I'll work on later. I think I got all of Whole Lotta Rosie.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, inthejungle1 said:

Here's another Prostitute video. From yours truly, but you'll have to forgive the skipped beginning and middle. I was torn between - "do I just put the phone in my pocket and enjoy" or "do I record this so I can live it again later". You'll see I changed my mind a couple times! Awesome to see live though. I have a couple others that I'll work on later. I think I got all of Whole Lotta Rosie.

Slash is definitely more into the Buckethead stuff on Chinese Democracy. I wonder how he would Sound on If the Word and Scraped

Edited by Sosso

35 minutes ago, Derick said:

It could be Axl personally did not want to play it for that reason, but even with the intro intact, the band would legally be able to play it live. Any venue Guns N' roses plays would pay a yearly license fee to the major performing rights organizations (ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC) which would allow them to play virtually any music they wanted. It could be Axl lost interest in the song. I also know DJ mentioned in a chat that he never learned how to play the main riff. 

5 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Great fucking Jungle right there! 

I so wish that they'd played arenas here in Europe as well!

Hoping we still get that wish....:) 
I think there's a decent shot of April arena shows next year ...

The last trailer of dates for this run said "We're just getting started...."

1 hour ago, inthejungle1 said:

THANK YOU!  This is great.  At least we get to see Slash where it counts, and the audio is pretty good. This is what I was craving, just had to see Slash, too.  Many thanks again.

So this lineup has now played 8/14 songs off Chinese Democracy, wow. Love it. They sound great on Prostitute. Axl sounds a whole hell of a lot better now than he did at Rio. On 2016 level again.

Hopefully they play around with IRS and Shacklers, and dust off some old Illusions stuff before they finish off the tour.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sosso said:

They could skip the intro from the Album, couldn't they? They could add the intro from 2002

They could even siphon off the current Rocket Queen intro as the intro to Riad, it is the same two root notes (Eb and F) and played in a similar funky way

• GNFNR 1