Does anyone else get sick of a genre or type of music?

AxlRoseCDII

I've been a rock fan my whole life, but recently as im getting older I find myself growing a little tired of rock...I've been listening to other types of music I never listen to, such as pop and even rap. It may have something to do with being in a rock band and hearing and creating heavy guitar riffs every day for two years. I was just curious if anyone else gets burnt out of a genre from time to time.

• Like 1

Yes frequently, i tend to flit between them.  In fact I'm rarely stuck in one for much longer than a fortnight or so, its not even so much as i do it by genre, just whatever album or artist thats playing whatever shit. I would've thought as a musician it would be natural and beneficial to list to different styles, not cuz you necessarily seek to replicate them in what you're doing, it'd just put new and different rhythms and sounds in your head that you then seek to somehow work into what you do.

But yeah, I mean i got 5 CDs in my car at the moment and they're all from different genres

Only Built For Cuban Linx - hip hop

The Harder They Come OST - reggae

Superfly - funk/soul

Sandinista fuck knows what genre that is!

The Jam Greatest Hits - new wave?

Yep I've never got caught up on one certain genre. Some of if I think is just how I got introduced to music. I guess straight up rock is my first love, but I'm a hip hop head, I have a soft spot for true country, I can get into Motown pretty good and certain metal. It's a good thing.

Yeah, I think I'm just totally burnt on rock. Between GNR bootlegs and my friends obsessing over rock for 2 years with heavy riffs I just got sick of it. My friends think my new music is stupid but who really cares what others think. I still like rock but just need a break from it :/ 

8 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Yeah, I think I'm just totally burnt on rock. Between GNR bootlegs and my friends obsessing over rock for 2 years with heavy riffs I just got sick of it. My friends think my new music is stupid but who really cares what others think. I still like rock but just need a break from it :/ 

Does it have to be new or can it just be new to you? 

Rock music is now just a museum full of wrinkly specimens that people gawp at and throw money at. There is nothing creative, rebellious or meaningful in it anymore. People just see bands so they can see them ''play the hits'' once ''before they're all dead''. Something to tell your grandkids when you are handing him a Werther's Original? ''You know young Tarquin, I once saw Axl and Slash play November Rain''.

• Like 1

I get burnt out on certain types of metal.  Im by no means a metal head but enjoy some Machine Head and Soulfly every now and then.  Get into it for maybe a week and then dont wanna hear it again for a year.  I like other heavier music too, but dont get burnt on it.

Never sick of guitars. String instruments music is the best kind. I like flutes and of course pipe organs. Renaissance music. I'm ok with synths but I find electronic music very odd and repulsive. You have to be able to play the music notes for notes, at least. Of course the musician have to display technical prowess as well as decent musical expression. Will never care for a 'rapper' or a 'disc jockey'.

Edited by Silent Jay

Yeah i think it's natural, i don't know how anyone can just stick to one genre though hard rock ( and it's offspring ) will always be my favourite shit, good hip hop a close second and good metal 3rd. I check out other stuff occasionally like now i'm switching between a dance group called Disclosure's debut album Settle and The Streets debut, though i certainly wouldn't all myself a dance head i appreciate the people who do it well.

Edited by Silverburst80

34 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I listen to so much different shit all the time that I really never tire of one particular genre.

Same here. I'll feel more like rock, jazz, blues, rock and roll, soul, folk, metal or whatever. And after I listed to it I might feel like something completely different. It all depends on mood. And sometimes I might not feel like a particular band for a long while until I just wake up and want to hear them again. But I never tire myself out on a genre entirely. 

But let's be honest; genres are completely stupid anyway. Bands or even albums can sound completely different within a genre. 

Edited by username
  • Thanks 1

One trend is that I like a lot of non-Anglo vocal music these days, (German) Lieder and other national folk songs. Well it is sort of inevitable if you listen to a lot of opera, the two dominate languages being Italian and German. If I ever obtain an interest in J-Pop however you all have permission to shoot me.