Excited About GNR future

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The biggest most relevant piece of shit in the world.

I totally agree, they are stuppendously shite...but really, with our honesty caps on here, and this is coming from someone that would prefer being whipped up Golgoltha with a cat o' nine tails followed by crucifixtion than to listen to a U2 album, can you really do a serious comparison between GnR and U2 in those terms?

1 hour ago, Bono said:

Dude it's because ONLY on a  GnR board are fans this far off in La La Land.  And read the conversation before you start asking if this and that matter. Of course it fucking matters in the realm of what's being discussed. When someone comments that GnR is "crushing" U2 with their touring numbers of course U2's numbers matter in that discussion but as usual I know you're not smart enough to keep up. Anyone who says U2 or Metallica's careers have not been better than GnR's post 1991 or who think Metallica and U2 fans don't have more to be excited about over the last 25 years and anyone who says they are not more relevant in the current landscape of music and anyone who says U2 and Metallica have done nothing to garner new fans in the last 25 years and that their music post 1991 hasn't appealed to anyone enough to bring in new fans is in fact living in a bubble. They're in denial, they're delusional and only on a  GnR board do you get this shit because GnR fans for whatever reason feel this pathetic and desperate need to tear down other bands in their weak attempt to prop up GnR.  It's gone on for far too long with GnR fans completely lacking the ability to call things as they are and not only that but completely fabricating bullshit theories to suite their irrational arguments. And be very clear I don't care one bit if a person likes or doesn't like U2. But when they start saying nonsense that they've done nothing since the turn of the century to contribute to their stature as it is now that's when I'll call people out on the bullshit. 

Also it's not about thinking GnR is the best band in the world. That's a given on a board dedicated to them. I expect people to think that. They were and maybe could be again. It's about perpetuating this bullshit idea that if given the chance to trade spots with career routes GnR fans would not have taken U2 or Metallica's route but instead kept the GnR course of action. Anyone who says they've prefered the one album in 20+ years to what U2 and Metallica have done is a liar straight up. There's no ifs ands or buts about it.  And hell it's not even just U2 and Metallica. Pearl Jam has done better, Foo Fighters have done better almost every big band from the late 80s and early 90s have done better by their fans yet on a GnR board you get people bullshitting themselves and others that they prefer Axl's way of "quality" over quantity. It's nuts that people even try to convince themselves of this bullshit let alone trying to convince others they believe it. 

As for making a home ona  u2 board I already post on one but their fans aren't crazy enough to think U2 is gonna rule the charts in 2017. Conversely on a GnR board you get the delusions  of grandeur that if only GnR release one kick ass single and play the Super Bowl they will be the most relevant band in the entire industry once again topping the charts like no other. That's the difference between GnR fans and fans of other bands. Unjustified delusions of grandeur. 

Anyways that'll be my last post on the topic. It's impossible to discuss such things with people stuck in such tight little bubbles. 

The fact that Guns N Roses have not released an album with the three original members In 26 years  and are able to play stadiums and sell out arena's on multiple nights pretty much proves that they deserve to be mentioned right along side Metallica and U2. It also pretty much proves that the most Important aspect of the music Is quality over quantity regardless of your opinion on the matter. They are playing to 40-50,000 people per night on 26-30 year old material.  Many fans love the music they released and could care less If they ever release another album. I am quite content listening to Appetite, Lies and the Illusion albums and hope to never hear another album with the GNR name on It that sounds like Chinese Democracy. So yeah, quality matters. You mention bands such as Pearl Jam, Foo fighters and almost every big band from the late 80's and early 90's doing better by their fans. Like what? Releasing new albums that their fans didn't care enough about to purchase and stole  off of the Internet?

"That's the difference between GnR fans and fans of other bands. Unjustified delusions of grandeur"

With your comment above and the many that you have made In the past, they are nothing more than your attempt at stirring up shit. Your real concern might be looking Into why It bothers you so much that GNR fans can't look beyond GNR on a GNR forum and acknowledge Metallica and U2. 

Edited by ironmt

I cannot for the life of me, figure out how a thread entitled Excited For GNR Future has derailed into a discussion about U2 and Metallica as if U2 and Metallica matters in GNR's future.

I would genuinely like to know people's opinion on GNR's future.  I genuinely want to know if there's anyone else out there slightly optimistic about it (heck, at this point I'll take the pessimists if it keeps the thread on track).  I really don't want to know any more facts about U2 or Metallica.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I cannot for the life of me, figure out how a thread entitled Excited For GNR Future has derailed into a discussion about U2 and Metallica as if U2 and Metallica matters in GNR's future.

I would genuinely like to know people's opinion on GNR's future.  I genuinely want to know if there's anyone else out there slightly optimistic about it (heck, at this point I'll take the pessimists if it keeps the thread on track).  I really don't want to know any more facts about U2 or Metallica.  

I tried :(

:lol:

2 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I have always been very pessimistic after Axl decided to invite Slash and Duff back into the band. I thought this heralded the band becoming a complete nostalgia trip (yes, I know not much was happening with the band before that, either :lol:). BUT, with the way Slash and Duff has joined the band, how they have embraced CD songs, and the band now actually rehearsing new covers, it seems to me there might just be a chance they will actually release something new. No, no, hold on! I did not say I believe this will happen, just that I won't entirely rule it out.

So let this slight optimism flow through us and legimitise our continued interest in the band.

U2 have become the call of duty of rock music, with yearly generic output. giving albums free in the new apple products, that should tell you something.

U2 the biggest band on the planet? who cares. beyonce and kanye west are big too. big, inflated ego's first and foremost. creativity: non existent. talent: even less so.

GNR show more talent and creativity in one note than bono has in his entire ego (the artist, not the poster that is)

Edited by action

53 minutes ago, ironmt said:

I am quite content listening to Appetite, Lies and the Illusion albums a

It is completely different for me as I think I exhausted the weeny discography ages ago - I still listen to Izzy solo though. Appetite still lingered on as my ''drunk record'' until about five years ago, and that is it. They still sit there, the albums, on a shelf. I suppose the best way I can summarise it is I have sucked all of the life out of them through familiarity. When you only have four albums boredom inherently seeps in as does the pursuance of alternative music.

When a band possesses many albums it is different as you can move all over the place like in a labyrinth, forever finding interesting and barely explored byways (and some turkeys) and renewing old acquaintances. It is forever interesting. With Guns it is like walking along an one way street on which you know every brick, crevice and paving stone: you go from A to B then if you listen again in reverse order you can go back from B to A and it never gets more interesting than that now.  

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is completely different for me as I think I exhausted the weeny discography ages ago - I still listen to Izzy solo though. Appetite still lingered on as my ''drunk record'' until about five years ago, and that is it. They still sit there, the albums, on a shelf. I suppose the best way I can summarise it is I have sucked all of the life out of them through familiarity. When you only have four albums boredom inherently seeps in as does the pursuance of alternative music.

When a band possesses many albums it is different as you can move all over the place like in a labyrinth, forever finding interesting and barely explored byways (and some turkeys) and renewing old acquaintances. It is forever interesting. With Guns it is like walking along an one way street on which you know every brick, crevice and paving stone: you go from A to B then if you listen again in reverse order you can go back from B to A and it never gets more interesting than that now.  

You might try The spaghetti Incident and Chinese Democracy to spice It up a bit. Although, they wouldn't even make my "drunk record" category. 

4 minutes ago, ironmt said:

You might try The spaghetti Incident and Chinese Democracy to spice It up a bit. Although, they wouldn't even make my "drunk record" category. 

You know that little street I just discussed above? Listening to those albums immediately drops two big dog turds onto that street.

21 minutes ago, Lio said:

I tried :(

:lol:

I know, so have a few of us!  I personally don't give a shit if GNR are not as relevant as U2 or Metallica.

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I have always been very pessimistic after Axl decided to invite Slash and Duff back into the band. I thought this heralded the band becoming a complete nostalgia trip (yes, I know not much was happening with the band before that, either :lol:). BUT, with the way Slash and Duff has joined the band, how they have embraced CD songs, and the band now actually rehearsing new covers, it seems to me there might just be a chance they will actually release something new. No, no, hold on! I did not say I believe this will happen, just that I won't entirely rule it out.

So let this slight optimism flow through us and legimitise our continued interest in the band.

I wasn't optimistic a few weeks ago, but something has happened since they began this leg of the tour; they all seem happier, more energetic, just more into it.  And Duff pretty much said that in his interview with Jericho didn't he?  He's in his 'groove' now he said.  So that, and the mysterious 'soundless' soundchecks, plus the soundcheck we've heard of new  Sabbathy type music, and little bits of info that tell me maybe Axl and Slash have a genuine working relationship again makes me think there's hope for new music.  Axl seems inspired these days and when he's inspired, he generally gets creative and gets to work.  

5 minutes ago, ironmt said:

I've never understood the appeal of TSI among GNR fans.  Why does anyone want to listen to their favourite band covering other artists' songs?  Not being argumentative, genuine question.  I hate that album.  I'm not a covers person in general with the exception of a few.  The one thing I really don't want GNR do to in the future is release another covers album.  Or any covers at all.  I don't even want them to do any more covers on this tour.  

5 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I  believe new music will be released at some point. Then again I've been slightly optimistic about that since CD was released, so it's been a long time. But back in the day I also believed that Chinese Democracy would eventually be released and I was right about that so...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

I  believe new music will be released at some point. Then again I've been slightly optimistic about that since CD was released, so it's been a long time. But back in the day I also believed that Chinese Democracy would eventually be released and I was right about that so...

The question is not if but when... are we gonna hear new music in our lifetime? Or are the great-great-great grandchildren of that Brazilian cleaning lady gonna release it in the next century some time? Who knows.

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Oh, yeah, to get back on topic... Axl really sucks, right?

Axl and his varying degrees of suckness is always on topic round here.  :lol: 

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

That's a helluva long time to be keeping the faith!  I'm impressed.  Where can I get your brand of optimism because I really need it in my life. lol

38 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

That's a helluva long time to be keeping the faith!  I'm impressed.  Where can I get your brand of optimism because I really need it in my life. lol

All I can say is, that it's not that hard to be optimistic and have faith in something, as long as your whole life and happiness isn't dependent on that one thing that you're optimistic about. :)

• GNFNR 2

6 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

So are we thinking no gnr in 2018...

i see a blu Ray release

a new greatest hits and remastered AFD but I think 2018 will be quiet for the GNR brand 

A new greatest hits is a depressing thought.  

I personally would love a remastered AFD.  I know lots of people are against remastered albums (don't know why), but I really think AFD could use some enhancement for sound quality.   I've got good headphones and a decent sound system but I still have to turn the volume up considerably whenever I listen to AFD and the instrumental clarity is not what it could be.  We've all still got our originals and those who are against it don't have to buy the remastered copy.  It'd be nice to have as an option.

Video of the tour would be cool if they do it right, capture the best bits along with backstage footage and interviews (wishful thinking but still...)

I'm hoping no to quiet 2018.  I mean, after 20 years apart they should bloody well put out new music before they've earned quiet times! LOL

43 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

A new greatest hits is a depressing thought.  

I personally would love a remastered AFD.  I know lots of people are against remastered albums (don't know why), but I really think AFD could use some enhancement for sound quality.   I've got good headphones and a decent sound system but I still have to turn the volume up considerably whenever I listen to AFD and the instrumental clarity is not what it could be.  We've all still got our originals and those who are against it don't have to buy the remastered copy.  It'd be nice to have as an option.

Video of the tour would be cool if they do it right, capture the best bits along with backstage footage and interviews (wishful thinking but still...)

I'm hoping no to quiet 2018.  I mean, after 20 years apart they should bloody well put out new music before they've earned quiet times! LOL

I'd go for a remastered - hell remixed - UYI's.  Appetite sounds really good to me.  For UYIs a dream of mine would be a directors cut where Clink and the guy who mixed it Clearmountain reflects on theres, Izzys, Slashs and whoevers disagreements with Axl about the mixes and even gets to remove some of Axls over indulgences.  Resulting in a beefier, hard rock sound.  Fix the drum reverb.  With Izzys parts or at least Slash playing as Izzy in the mix.

Many early Cds pressings sound quiet and flat, but that doesnt always mean that the source tapes are mastered to be that way.  So if AFD was to explore having a pure volume boost Id maybe be on board, but only after hearing the experts opinions.  Most modern mixes are too loud so one can think about having to turn down for them, rather then up for AFD.  Not sure which it is in this case - the shitty early Cd sounds or the loudness wars since then.  What I do know is that imo the guitar sounds on AFD are perfect, including the clarity.  Of course thats just me.

Edited by soon

I'm trying not to be too negative on it but right now I'm not too excited because the band are showing no signs of what the future actually is. On the positive side Axl Slash and Duff seem to be having fun on stage and I think there's more to it than just for the money. I also don't see Slash coming back and not wanting to make new songs with GNR and I don't see Axl wanting to waste the opportunity either with Slash back in the band. 

But the tour is coming to an end soon and there's going to be a well deserved break for the guys and it seems inevitable that AXL/DC will happen and Slash will release and tour the 3rd SMKC album at one point. But IMO the guys should be looking to release an album at the end of 2018 and continue with making guns successful again. If all the side projects happen early next year then I don't see any album (if there is one ) being ready till about 2019/20 and to me that just seems too far away. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, soon said:

I'd go for a remastered - hell remixed - UYI's.  Appetite sounds really good to me.  For UYIs a dream of mine would be a directors cut where Clink and the guy who mixed it Clearmountain reflects on theres, Izzys, Slashs and whoevers disagreements with Axl about the mixes and even gets to remove some of Axls over indulgences.  Resulting in a beefier, hard rock sound.  Fix the drum reverb.  With Izzys parts or at least Slash playing as Izzy in the mix.

Many early Cds pressings sound quiet and flat, but that doesnt always mean that the source tapes are mastered to be that way.  So if AFD was to explore having a pure volume boost Id maybe be on board, but only after hearing the experts opinions.  Most modern mixes are too loud so one can think about having to turn down for them, rather then up for AFD.  Not sure which it is in this case - the shitty early Cd sounds or the loudness wars since then.  What I do know is that imo the guitar sounds on AFD are perfect, including the clarity.  Of course thats just me.

Normally, I'm against tampering with arrangements or vocals, but if I had a magic wand, it'd be reeeeeally tempting to fix Locomotive.  To this day I get irritated by Axl's vocals over the outro.  I curse him every time I listen to it (which is a lot).  Spoils what is otherwise a masterpiece.  I can live with all his other indulgences.

When I compare AFD to other CDs I have from the same era, even same year, AFD is still quieter than those.  I know what you mean about modern CDs sounding too loud and that's also annoying.  Maybe my gear isn't as good as I think it is, or maybe I'm just a glutton for hearing every itty bitty sound with perfect clarity. :lol: