Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER TAGS NO LONGER REQUIRED]

Powerage5

11 hours ago, downzy said:

I think there's plenty of material to justify another Solo film.  

When I walked out I thought "That was way better than I expected, but they told me everything I need to know so I hope they don't make another one". Then I thought about it and realized there's plenty of other material to cull from in Han's later years. If nothing else, they have a lot of story to tell between Episodes VI & VII. 

It was a decent movie. Made sense, flowed nice. Is it re-watchable? Probably not. Better than Rouge One (which was kinda bad) It adds nothing new to The Star Wars Saga. I paid 4 bucks. It was worth it. The music was missing something. No real sense this was a Star Wars movie. No hero theme/nothing. They messed up on that one.

Best part was Darth Maul.  Very unexpected.  Nice surprise.

Spoiler

Edited by 31illusions

I saw it this afternoon, thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the performances were pretty spot on from everyone, the plot was compelling, especially the Kessel run and the tone of the movie was pretty much perfect. Swashbuckling, but not shallow.

It's weird, because since the Disney takeover of the franchise, I've basically written off their sequel trilogy in my own canon. Over everything, I hated the decision to kill Han off in The Force Awakens, and I really wanted some scenes with all the characters I loved doing their thing in a new conflict rather than having all of these new characters kinda shoved down my throat. I also found the villain to be the most insipid and annoying thing about the whole film. I didn't even bother with The Last Jedi, partially because of the ending of TFA, but also because everything I read about it seemed to confirm that there were just going to be more of the things I hated about the first one (particularly after hearing Mark Hamill's criticism of the way his character was written and the handling of the plot).

BUUUT... I've found both Rogue One and Solo to be fantastic self-contained adventures with characters and elements that I've loved and feel have added to the Universe in a positive fashion.

So, cheers Disney for two decent SW films, but I suppose I'd trade them both for a continuation of the post-ROTJ story that had lived up to the original trilogy.

24 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Well I guess I'm a shill because Im 4 for 4 with the Disney films. I walked in ready to hate this and I think it was pretty darn good

I've enjoyed each of them for the most part so far except Rogue One. So, being 3 for 4, I guess im a shill too.

I think people generally put way too much pressure on Star Wars films.  Not including Rogue One and Solo, there are more bad SW movies than good ones.  It's a cool universe and there are some cool concepts, but save for Empire and parts of A New Hope and ROTJ, I think people need to check their reverence for the series as a whole.  Doing so I think opens the opportunity to enjoy films like Han Solo and Rogue One.  All three of the prequel films were garbage, AFA was decent and fun but largely a rehash of A New Hope, and TLJ was essentially a spit in the eye to anyone interested in seeing the Skywalker saga end with meaning and treated with grace.  Keeping a running score, the series has mostly been below average.  If Star Wars was a music album, there would be very few hits and a lot of filler.  

I've heard people complain that Solo didn't need to be made.  Really?  You can't enjoy the film for what it is?  There were some great action set pieces and I thought the chemistry between characters worked in a way that hasn't been present since the original trilogy.  Plus, Chewbacca was great and his character the most fun since ROTJ.  I thought the film was visually stunning and well directed.  It's a fun film for what it is and doesn't try to be anything more, save for a few heavy references near the end of the film.  Moreover, it has a similar feel to A New Hope without lifting its basic premise and plot like A Force Awakens.  Again, not sure what is not to like.  

The only real obstacle for this movie is whether you can accept someone else other than Harrison Ford playing Han Solo.  I thought the guy did a decent enough job and the presence of Chewie helped in tying the character to Ehrenreich.  But in the end if you can't see Ehrenreich as Solo, the film will likely not work for you.  

And as a Trekkie I can say that's bad with some lack of bias as Trek films are notoriously bad with a few exceptions, Khan, etc.

Star Wars is being demystified. If you are happy with fun little ''middling'' (neither great but neither obnoxiously bad) films coming out twice per year which explore every single origin of incidental characters of the original trilogy then you'll enjoy the new ones. I also think the fact they're willing to re-cast major roles like Han Solo a significant jump. 

Star Wars has lost its quasi-sacred ''event movie'' appeal and is being converted into a regular thing.

as far as star wars goes, I hate the movies but I utterly love the action in the video games. the rogue squadron series is brilliant, with great story and shooting action. the views are magnificent with beautiful giant planets in the distance.

large.jpg

I watched a screener of this.

It is fun. It is not without its problems but it is probably better than it has any right to be. I wasn't too keen on the beginning, and actively disliked the ending, but there was a period from circa Chewbacca's entry, up to when they arrived at that desert planet with the cargo, where I was sitting back and enjoying things, and forgetting the baggage that comes with a film such as this. Ending aside, probably the films biggest problem is the story line is so predictable, with every trope recycled such as the,

Spoiler

mentor figure advising a disciple that you ''shouldn't trust anybody'' only for them themselves to betray you cliché, compounded with a love interest betrayal cliché. You see the two betrayals signposted a mile off. 

But it was fun. It flows along in an enjoyable manner. The space ship stuff was fun. It quipped along as Disney films do. Chewbacca was of course enjoyable. The droid was a typical star wars-esque character. It ticked along.

Then the ending,

Spoiler

Darth Maul.

Throwing such a fanboyish easter egg in like that that was far too forced! Is every character in this universe connected? As I said earlier, how small is this bloody galaxy? And unleashing the light saber with ''Duel of Fates'' playing! And I realise Maul apparently survived his death in Phantom Menace and got robot legs or some bollocks but I do not care about any of that expanded universe garbage. For me Liam Neeson chopped him in half. Far too overt and forced. 

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I watched a screener of this.

It is fun. It is not without its problems but it is probably better than it has any right to be. I wasn't too keen on the beginning, and actively disliked the ending, but there was a period from circa Chewbacca's entry, up to when they arrived at that desert planet with the cargo, where I was sitting back and enjoying things, and forgetting the baggage that comes with a film such as this. Ending aside, probably the films biggest problem is the story line is so predictable, with every trope recycled such as the,

Hide contents

mentor figure advising a disciple that you ''shouldn't trust anybody'' only for them themselves to betray you cliché, compounded with a love interest betrayal cliché. You see the two betrayals signposted a mile off. 

But it was fun. It flows along in an enjoyable manner. The space ship stuff was fun. It quipped along as Disney films do. Chewbacca was of course enjoyable. The droid was a typical star wars-esque character. It ticked along.

Then the ending,

Hide contents

Darth Maul.

Throwing such a fanboyish easter egg in like that that was far too forced! Is every character in this universe connected? As I said earlier, how small is this bloody galaxy? And unleashing the light saber with ''Duel of Fates'' playing! And I realise Maul apparently survived his death in Phantom Menace and got robot legs or some bollocks but I do not care about any of that expanded universe garbage. For me Liam Neeson chopped him in half. Far too overt and forced. 

Spoiler

Well maybe you should go back and watch the duel from The Phantom Menace because Liam Neeson did not chop anyone in half.

On 5/28/2018 at 12:46 PM, RussTCB said:

When I walked out I thought "That was way better than I expected, but they told me everything I need to know so I hope they don't make another one". Then I thought about it and realized there's plenty of other material to cull from in Han's later years. If nothing else, they have a lot of story to tell between Episodes VI & VII. 

This was exactly my thoughts as well....exactly.   They clearly left the door open to have a follow-up on this.  

• Like 1

I rather got the impression when I was a child watching Star Wars that Han and Chewbacca were old hands, smuggling for some time, knowing all of the tricks, yet,

Spoiler

He is a newbie here.

Deserts the imperial forces. Joins Woody Harrelson's gang on some Macguffin sub-plot which is botched then attempted again, this time with Lando. Then when the film concludes he is already heading for Tatooine and Jabba the Hut neatly connecting the film with A New Hope. It does alter the Han character significantly in my view.

Hmm.

And if they do a sequel, you just know there will be a ''Star Wars'' equivalent of this scene,

Here's what I wanted from Solo: I wanted to see characters I'm familiar with doing things I'm familiar with. If some things could blow up and some funny lines happened, that'd be sweet too.

I ended up getting everything I wanted and a little more, so I'm set :)

• GNFNR 1

19 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I rather got the impression when I was a child watching Star Wars that Han and Chewbacca were old hands, smuggling for some time, knowing all of the tricks, yet,

Hide contents

He is a newbie here.

Deserts the imperial forces. Joins Woody Harrelson's gang on some Macguffin sub-plot which is botched then attempted again, this time with Lando. Then when the film concludes he is already heading for Tatooine and Jabba the Hut neatly connecting the film with A New Hope. It does alter the Han character significantly in my view.

Hmm.

And if they do a sequel, you just know there will be a ''Star Wars'' equivalent of this scene,

There’s a 9 year gap from Solo to A New Hope.  Stop trying to be disagreeable for the sake of being disagreeable.  It has become stale and transparent.

Meh. I thought it was fine but not good and not bad. I don't think I'll ever watch it again. I liked how Han and Chewie met, thought it was lame how Han became Han "Solo" and hated the surprise cameo at the end. Other than that though there wasn't anything I really hated about this movie but there was also nothing really compelling or interesting about it either. It's just kinda there..... I did find the music annoying. It felt way to Indiana Jones Adventure like.  Rogue One was much better I think. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tsinindy said:

There’s a 9 year gap from Solo to A New Hope.  Stop trying to be disagreeable for the sake of being disagreeable.  It has become stale and transparent.

I beg your pardon? Bit of an unnecessary attack!

Firstly, they are already on there way to do the Jabba mission at the end of Solo so that (''9 year gap'') is incorrect, or at least appears to the uninitiated incorrect. Secondly, I was merely stating my longstanding impression formed from the first film that there seemed a longer time period of Han/Chewbacca being already established and operating as smugglers. 

Heck, it was not even a criticism per se, merely an observation! 

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I beg your pardon? Bit of an unnecessary attack!

Firstly, they are already on there way to do the Jabba mission at the end of Solo so that (''9 year gap'') is incorrect, or at least appears to the uninitiated incorrect. Secondly, I was merely stating my longstanding impression formed from the first film that there seemed a longer time period of Han/Chewbacca being already established and operating as smugglers. 

Heck, it was not even a criticism per se, merely an observation! 

Anything I say will give away things...please google, but the timeline is well established based on canon.  Han is 19 in Solo, 29 in a New Hope, approximately a 9-10 year gap.  Maybe check out Rebels, that starts 5 years before A New Hope, you clearly haven't watched Rebels based on your other comments and Rebels includes several relevant story lines to SOLO.  Sorry for the attack, but it was just an observation :)

You clearly are not a Star Wars expert, so before you want to argue things that you don't actually know what you are talking about, maybe consider you don't know what you are talking about.  Finally, just b/c they were "on their way" to Tatooine doesn't mean they went straight there, they could have gotten sidetracked or went on a five year bender, etc.  It also doesn't mean they didn't work several jobs for Jabba before fucking one up.  It's pretty clear from the original trilogy that Han and Jabba knew each other for some time and Han had completed some successful jobs for Jabba before the one occurred where he got boarded and had to dump his freight.   

Edited by tsinindy

3 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Anything I say will give away things...please google, but the timeline is well established based on canon.  Han is 19 in Solo, 29 in a New Hope, approximately a 9-10 year gap.  Maybe check out Rebels, that was 5 years before A New Hope, you clearly haven't watched Rebels based on your other comments and Rebels includes several relevant story lines to SOLO.  Sorry for the attack, but it was just an observation :)

You clearly you are not a Star Wars expert, so before you want to argue things that you don't actually know what you are talking about, maybe consider you don't know what you are talking about. 

Wear the badge proudly bro.

3 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Finally, just b/c they were "on their way" to Tatooine doesn't mean they went straight there, they could have gotten sidetracked or went on a five year bender, etc.  It also doesn't mean they didn't work several jobs for Jabba before fucking one up.  It's pretty clear from the original trilogy that Han and Jabba knew each other for some time and Han had completed some successful jobs for Jabba before the one occurred where he got boarded and had to dump his freight.   

It is a fair point and I did think of that but the ending of Solo does imply something close to a direct chronological relationship with A New Hope. You cannot leave an ending such as it is, ''going to meet Jabba etc etc'', without that being the case.