Can we live in a world were both Izzy and Richard get the respect they deserve?

to me, GNR is:

vocals and piano: W.Axl Rose

lead guitar: Slash

rhythm guitar: Izzy Stradlin

bass guitar: Duff 'Rose' Mckagan

drums: Steven 'popcorn' Adler

these are the 5 people I absolutely worship as musicians. i'm aware that there are other good musicians around, but that's as far as my respect goes. my interest in the "hired hands" doesn't go beyond the fact that they sometimes obstruct my vision on stage, but i dont hate them. as for the "need" to show them respect, i hear you telling us that, but it leaves me shrugging my shoulders. I dont particularily feel the "need" to show respect to any of the hired hands, good as they might be. i dont hate them either, but if they say or do stupid stuff (and we have experienced our share of that), then i'll be very vocal about that. either way, Richard doesnt interest me in the slightest and i see no change in the direct future

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

The problem with Guns N' Roses fans is they've, at least not since 1991, never really had the elixir that is new material as part of their existence. Normal bands strategically supply albums for fans to anticipate and analyse, and if it all goes to plan enjoy. Think of albums like drugs for an addict. Guns N' Roses fans have been in cold turkey for twenty-seven years! 

4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Posts like these are the reason why we can't.  All in all it comes down to if a person is mature enough to handle respect for members of different lineups at the same time.  Some are - some aren't

Agreed with you 👍

10 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

that was a poke at the fortus for life guy but i actually think axl brought acdc to a whole other level but ya bon meant for them early songs and axl sounded better than brian on black and black material imo

theyve already replaced Brian with Axl. They are going to re record BIB. 

But in better news Fortus is respected but Izzy has his own legend. He’s not the best player in the world but neither is Slash. There are plenty of technically gifted guitarist but not many create timeless music. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

theyve already replaced Brian with Axl. They are going to re record BIB. 

But in better news Fortus is respected but Izzy has his own legend. He’s not the best player in the world but neither is Slash. There are plenty of technically gifted guitarist but not many create timeless music. 

exacctly if we want to get into technicals i dont think slash can hold a candle to randy roads or dimebag 

Richard plays the part of a session/tour contributor who joined a god-like band 20 years after their heyday. Even if Axl/Slash/Duff never broke up and Fortus came aboard when he did, I’d still feel this way. 

Is that fair to him...? Whatever. It is what it is. Right now he’s the fifth most important stage presence. It used to be Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff/Steven. Now it’s Axl/Slash/Duff/Frank (mainly cuz he’s such a liability)/Richard/Dizzy/Melissa. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, action said:

to me, GNR is:

vocals and piano: W.Axl Rose

lead guitar: Slash

rhythm guitar: Izzy Stradlin

bass guitar: Duff 'Rose' Mckagan

drums: Steven 'popcorn' Adler

these are the 5 people I absolutely worship as musicians. i'm aware that there are other good musicians around, but that's as far as my respect goes. my interest in the "hired hands" doesn't go beyond the fact that they sometimes obstruct my vision on stage, but i dont hate them. as for the "need" to show them respect, i hear you telling us that, but it leaves me shrugging my shoulders. I dont particularily feel the "need" to show respect to any of the hired hands, good as they might be. i dont hate them either, but if they say or do stupid stuff (and we have experienced our share of that), then i'll be very vocal about that. either way, Richard doesnt interest me in the slightest and i see no change in the direct future

Which is fine. But I don't see the point in hating or complaining about a hired gun just because you'd rather the original be there. 

• Like 2

As members of Guns N' Roses, I appreciate what both guys have brought the table. Regardless of who contributed more or whatever.

Richard's guitar work on The Blues was a highlight for me until they changed the arrangement.

He's a fantastic player, and entertaining to watch.

Izzy is Izzy. He's classic Guns N' Roses, and a huge part of why we are all here in the first place.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Posts like these are the reason why we can't.  All in all it comes down to if a person is mature enough to handle respect for members of different lineups at the same time.  Some are - some aren't

I respect GNR.

Izzy was in GNR.

Fortus is not in GNR.

Nowadays, Izzy can't even play the songs he wrote 30 years ago.

That's where the problem is. The dude can't play.

Would you honnesly put him in a stadium in front of 60,000 fans for a show? Are you serious? He would be a total DISASTER! :wow:

"Not reliable" = NOT GOOD ENOUGH in the GN'R world. Stop finding excuses. He is just NOT good enough to get the job.

The truth hurts... sorry for that...:shrugs:

Edited by Sunset Boulevard
  • GNFNR 1

21 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Well, Fortus is getting more respect than Izzy in the current GN’R FB page. Whenever people comment they miss Izzy, many will attack them, saying Izzy quit and Fortus is a fantastic player who is in the band longer, and that they should stop living in the past. 

That's what GUNS N ROSES should do...:shrugs::P

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PirateRadio said:

Richard plays the part of a session/tour contributor who joined a god-like band 20 years after their heyday. Even if Axl/Slash/Duff never broke up and Fortus came aboard when he did, I’d still feel this way. 

Is that fair to him...? Whatever. It is what it is. Right now he’s the fifth most important stage presence. It used to be Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff/Steven. Now it’s Axl/Slash/Duff/Frank (mainly cuz he’s such a liability)/Richard/Dizzy/Melissa. 

I would rate Richard higher than Frank in the current band hierachy. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Order of Nine said:

I have respect for Izzy as a song writer and lyricist, as a guitarist he will never gain any real respect since he is one of those types who has never progressed technically speaking. 

I have respect for Fortus as a performer and as a guitarist. He is clearly someone who has studied various styles of music and can more then hold his own with a variety of technical aspects, fingerpicking, sweeping, hybrid, ect. 

Izzy isn't out to learn guitar playing like Richard has proven to do. But Richard has yet to prove if he can write something that is timeless and classic to the standard of songs like "Don't Cry" or "Patience". Two songs that have obviously stood the test of time that have Izzy stamped all over them.

It's a safe bet Richard will definitely be on the next GNR release, Izzy may but it's clear to see how much of a wild card he is. His gripe about "not splitting the loot equally" is beat to me cause the money was never an issue for him while he was in the band, that was never a reason. It was the drug use of the others, maintaining his sobriety and the drama of dealing with a band of that magnitude.

It may be a case of both Fortus and Izzy on the next release, but I doubt that will happen. So it's up to Fortus to prove himself as a classic song writer. Until then I give respect only where respect is due. Both Izzy and Fortus have things they need to do, but it's obvious to me who is more determined and focused. Fortus. 

disagree he was very pissed that axl would piss away on money on after parties and gargantuan music videos 

43 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

I have respect for Izzy as a song writer and lyricist, as a guitarist he will never gain any real respect since he is one of those types who has never progressed technically speaking. 

I have respect for Fortus as a performer and as a guitarist. He is clearly someone who has studied various styles of music and can more then hold his own with a variety of technical aspects, fingerpicking, sweeping, hybrid, ect. 

Izzy isn't out to learn guitar playing like Richard has proven to do. But Richard has yet to prove if he can write something that is timeless and classic to the standard of songs like "Don't Cry" or "Patience". Two songs that have obviously stood the test of time that have Izzy stamped all over them.

It's a safe bet Richard will definitely be on the next GNR release, Izzy may but it's clear to see how much of a wild card he is. His gripe about "not splitting the loot equally" is beat to me cause the money was never an issue for him while he was in the band, that was never a reason. It was the drug use of the others, maintaining his sobriety and the drama of dealing with a band of that magnitude.

It may be a case of both Fortus and Izzy on the next release, but I doubt that will happen. So it's up to Fortus to prove himself as a classic song writer. Until then I give respect only where respect is due. Both Izzy and Fortus have things they need to do, but it's obvious to me who is more determined and focused. Fortus. 

THIS

Great post. Thumb up!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1