06/18/18 - Paris France - Download Festival

downzy

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

I mean, that is a Slash riff that he and Duff were a part of, and it is a great gesture by Axl to sing it.  It is not a GNR original but it is not merely "a cover song - no more, no less" - it is more than you are making it out to be

Slither being played is cool as hell and it sounds great

me and many others have waited 20 years for this. slash and axl sharing the same stage together. what do we get ? a bunch of forum members complaining about the slash intros and solos. 

i do know the meaning of axl singing a vr song and i respect all parties for that.

i just took a cheap dig at the anti-slash army out there about him spending to much time on guitar 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I mean, that is a Slash riff that he and Duff were a part of, and it is a great gesture by Axl to sing it.  It is not a GNR original but it is not merely "a cover song - no more, no less" - it is more than you are making it out to be

Yup. I am thrilled they are playing it and it is quickly becoming the best sounding "cover" they do.... I just wish Axl practiced it 5 times with the band in rehearsals instead of using the live show.  Everyone I know that cared "outside of here" watched the first performance from blabbermouth and classic rock links and thought it sucked.  Most people that aren't die hards like us aren't going to keep watching..

That video was pretty cool too with the screenshots. Almost pro-shotish.. I really hope they get to work on a Blu Ray after this leg and I hope this song makes it on there.  Highlight of this leg for sure. 

4 minutes ago, donny said:

me and many others have waited 20 years for this. slash and axl sharing the same stage together. what do we get ? a bunch of forum members complaining about the slash intros and solos. 

i do know the meaning of axl singing a vr song and i respect all parties for that.

i just took a cheap dig at the anti-slash army out there about him spending to much time on guitar 

If that is what you meant to portray by replying "still nothing more than a cover song. nothing more, nothing less" to a video of Slither.. You failed miserably lol... 

But yeah.. Slash is a fucking beast and has been constantly solid night after night.. 

4 minutes ago, SeBaZ said:

Great! Now not only Axl is out of time, Frank too! 

For all the bashing Frank gets here, it's Axl that is 100% off time on Shadow- WAY too fast in several parts.  However, he sounds phenomenal.  If and when he gets the pace of this song straight, with those vocals, this could easily be a highlight of the set. I've been listening to this song for close to 30 years, and it's always been a favorite. So glad they revisited it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bluefish18 said:

For all the bashing Frank gets here, it's Axl that is 100% off time on Shadow- WAY too fast in several parts.  However, he sounds phenomenal.  If and when he gets the pace of this song straight, with those vocals, this could easily be a highlight of the set. I've been listening to this song for close to 30 years, and it's always been a favorite. So glad they revisited it.

Since 0:29 mark, after the drum fill, frank is out of time (or slash?), and Axl is not singing yet. And after every drum fill, the band (or frank) lose the tempo again...

Edited by SeBaZ
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

If that is what you meant to portray by replying "still nothing more than a cover song. nothing more, nothing less" to a video of Slither.. You failed miserably lol... 

But yeah.. Slash is a fucking beast and has been constantly solid night after night.. 

i dont think i failed miserably. i could go in to a drunken stupor and rant all night but i think i will save both you and me that embarrassment. what parts of my comments do you not agree with ? 

14 minutes ago, SeBaZ said:

Great! Now not only Axl is out of time, Frank too! 

Very cool that they are playing this song but the need to just sit there and practice it.  They are close But Axl is just off every time... As for Frank... Well......... 

5 minutes ago, donny said:

i dont think i failed miserably. i could go in to a drunken stupor and rant all night but i think i will save both you and me that embarrassment. what parts of my comments do you not agree with ? 

I agreed with all of your rebuttal when you explained it.. I just didn't and still don't see and still don't see how we were supposed to know that ""still nothing more than a cover song. nothing more, nothing less" had something to do with people complaining about Slash's intros and stuff.. All good, lets move on ;)  The more Slash the better as far as I am concerned. \m/

17 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

that's what you can say about the five trillion covers he has been played since 2009. This is something else, Slash and Duff own this song

slash and duff can own what they like. if i was to hear a GNR related cover song at a gig then let it please be DUFF's 10 years

4 minutes ago, SeBaZ said:

Since 0:29 mark, after the drum fill, frank is out of time (or slash?), and Axl is not singing yet. And after every drum fill, the band (or frank) lose the tempo again...

The last 30+ seconds the band is completely in sync, and Axl ends up being a half measure BEHIND... Of course, this is all off of cellphone footage over shitty NYC wifi (on my end), so who really knows.  But as I ( and fellow Masshole Tom 😂) said- if they get this song going, it's going to be killer.

4 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I agreed with all of your rebuttal when you explained it.. I just didn't and still don't see and still don't see how we were supposed to know that ""still nothing more than a cover song. nothing more, nothing less" had something to do with people complaining about Slash's intros and stuff.. All good, lets move on ;)  The more Slash the better as far as I am concerned. \m/

my comment was "off topic" i fully admit that, but slash playing outside the boarders of GNR album tracks is very broad. i got a little pissed at reading comments on here about him playing to much (inro-outro). thats all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

True I kind of always see Slash or Izzy solo as GNR songs without Axl, just as CD is GNR without Slash/Izzy/Duff. 

It’s a weird way to look at it. Like Scott joined GNR by proxy. Without Izzy they needed another writer to really put out enough records to satisfy the fans. 

Slither with Axl is what fans want on a GNR album. It seems anyway.

GNR becomes the umbrella that they make a living off from songs members wrote. 

Edited by wasted

5 hours ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

From that photo from the stage looking out, it looks embarrassingly empty! WTF?!

From pictures that I have seen, This entire leg of the tour(not counting Italy) has been a disappointment attendance wise. The crowds have also been lethargic(again, not counting Italy).    

2 hours ago, D.. said:

My review: it was great overall.

What I'm the most impressed with is how tight the band is: they make it sound SO EASY to play. Great musicians. They clearly have all worked extremely hard to get to that level and make it sound that easy.

The setlist was great. I wish they had played TWAT or Catcher, or another deep cut, but I really can't complain. I think it was 3 hours long which is... awesome.

Axl's voice was phenomenal most of the time. Much better live than in the videos . I was highly impressed. He nailed most songs (especially Nightrain and Don't Cry). He even impressed me on Coma (so glad I finally heard this monster live). It's still not his 2010 level, but it's pretty damn good.

2010 was surprising on a lot of levels. This show from 2018 was not. It was a well-oiled machine, extremely tight, and very much enjoyable, but... it lacked the urge. Does it make sense? Don't want to sound negative.

Wait, what happened in 2010?!

4 hours ago, D.. said:

I had a very nice time overall. Thing is, I felt those guys had nothing left to prove... Or do they?

I will definitely not attend another show for years, unless they release and play new material. It was great to finally witness Slash, Duff and Axl together, and spend some time in their company, but I expect something fresher next time. Something unexpected. Something surprising. Something new. I think that's what this show lacked.

2010 was surprising on a lot of levels. This show from 2018 was not. It was a well-oiled machine, extremely tight, and very much enjoyable, but... it lacked the urge. Does it make sense? Don't want to sound negative.

It was still an amazing show. And glad to see Axl this happy.

I totally get what you're saying. I'm not attending another GNR show ever again either, unless they release new music.

• Like 1