06/18/18 - Paris France - Download Festival

downzy

So bizarre to see Axl sing "The difference is nobody cares about you" whilst resting his arm on Slash whilst Slash wobbles his head. 

I don't quite get people saying he sounds powerful and great on it, though. I mean, he used to sing "You've got all the answers....Just shut up and sing" etc with such venemous, thunderous anger and defiance. It sounds more like a gentle children's lullaby here. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

So bizarre to see Axl sing "The difference is nobody cares about you" whilst resting his arm on Slash whilst Slash wobbles his head. 

I don't quite get people saying he sounds powerful and great on it, though. I mean, he used to sing "You've got all the answers....Just shut up and sing" etc with such venemous, thunderous anger and defiance. It sounds more like a gentle children's lullaby here. 

I have no idea who this song really is about, but no matter how you sing it the power is more in those lyrics - there's a reflection that's really emotional and bittersweet but at the same time so wise and mature. There's love and loss and dissapointment but also the power of letting go and standing your ground, all that stuff goes really deep. It's one of those songs that can save your life and I think of Chinese this is one of those that will age best. I guess it takes a certain zone of confidence to pull it off but even though I wasn't there in person yesterday, from the videos and the look in his eyes I can tell he was on, regardless the delivery.

2 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

I have no idea who this song really is about, but no matter how you sing it the power is more in those lyrics - there's a reflection that's really emotional and bittersweet but at the same time so wise and mature. There's love and loss and dissapointment but also the power of letting go and standing your ground, all that stuff goes really deep. It's one of those songs that can save your life and I think of Chinese this is one of those that will age best. I guess it takes a certain zone of confidence to pull it off but even though I wasn't there in person yesterday, from the videos and the look in his eyes I can tell he was on, regardless the delivery.

It's one of my favorites from Chinese as well, including Buckethead's beautiful solo. I always cringe at the 'kick your ass' lyric though.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, NicoRourke said:

It's one of my favorites from Chinese as well, including Buckethead's beautiful solo. I always cringe at the 'kick your ass' lyric though.

I thought that was a reference to Get in the Ring and Mick Wall. Wasn’t there a recent Kkerrang article? 

I think Sorry is about the haters on the internet and rock media they seem to hate. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Cant really understand the excitement about axls voice. Sounds the same to me...

I'm kind of thinking the same. Nightrain was very strong, and he didn't have the same issues with voice cracks etc as the other shows this tour. but generally it's not that much better

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

30 minute version of Knocking on Heaven's Door.

Sounds like GNR might be getting like the bands of the 60's and 70's. My mom said LZ would play every damn song for a half an hour even if it wasn't Stairway to Heaven.

The guitar solos went on forever. My God!

I have two versions of Dazed and Confused Live. The studio version is 6 minutes but the liver versions are actually 30 minutes

This Better is not better than top three 2016, but better than any version I've heard 2017 vocally. 

Half-clean but powerful voice right at the start, with an underlying but gentle rasp with a lot more dynamic than usual. Like it. The outro is a bit  helium thou.. but doesn't bother me.

Edit* Axls voice on SOYL is awsome. But what the fuck Axl.!?!. did you have a stroke?? Totally off rytm. Again. And it's not just on SOYL. He do that occasionally on TIL and other songs too.. 

I wonder what instruments he hear on stage?? Usually they have individual settings with some instruments louder/clearer and some totally muted. 

Edited by shootingstar

4 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Cant really understand the excitement about axls voice. Sounds the same to me...

It sounds a lot better in person. Really. 

Which is surprising because, in 2012, he sounded really bad in person. His voice was weak. The videos did capture how bad he sounded that year. Again, I left the 2012 Paris show early because of that, couldn't stand it.

But yesterday, he sounded a lot better than what I'm hearing on the 2018 videos. I can't quite explain it properly, but there are variations in his voice, the different tones he uses, that aren't captured properly in videos. Also, obviously, the mix is terrible on the videos, it's a mess. You don't hear the various subtle sounds and parts of the different musicians & Axl on stage.

Believe me, Axl sounds awesome this year. Can't take anything away from the man. Or the band. Everything is tight.

Only bad moment was This I love. And parts of Civil War. Other than that, it was amazing.

• Like 1

It's really apparent Axl did not hold back in this show. At all. Even Jungle was much better. Bit weak for those first few lines but he found his voice, and the scream at the beginning was an unnecessarily high note. Good show.