Why don't they ever/rarely play certain songs live?

9 hours ago, Santacruz said:

To be honest: I am grateful that GNR are playing Wichita Lineman. Never heard of this song before but I am neither from the US or a country fan. I listened to the original version couple of days ago and I really love it! Great song! I think they started playing it because at the time Glen Campbell , the original singer, died. It is a great American tune!

And I think Axl really showed balls singing this song because he knows exactly that his audience is mostly there for the usual 5 GNR hits.

Which annoys me a bit. I wish Hardrock and GNR fans would be less conservative and and allow new Things to happen.It is so incredibly boring to ALWAYS Play the same songs..:blink:

I'm not disdain Wichita, just analized that cold reception is because is a song that outside US nobody know.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, James Bond said:

Exactly. There are some deep cuts that would both satisfy the die hards and give Axl a vocal break.

Breakdown would also be fine, taking Axl's current vocal shape into account. Low register start and "Chi dem" timbre rasp.  I'd love to see that.😁😎

They don't play them because they don't want to. Maybe it's laziness, only they know for sure. 

There are only about 4 songs that they absolutely have to play for the casuals. Jungle, SCOM, PC and NR. Maybe YCBM, LALD, Don't cry and Patience to a lesser extent. 

Casuals won't demand Easy, Brownstone, OTGM, Night rain, Michelle,  RQ, UTLH, Civil War, Estranged or anything off of Chinese.

It would be easily possible to have 6 hits and then alter the rest of the set night to night. It requires work though, you can't go into cruise control mode

First of all I think they do a pretty good job with the set list over all. Some bands don't change their sets at all and Guns do add subtle changes. My only gripe is when they play more than 3 CD songs but so far this leg they have balanced it out better. The 3 shows I saw this tour were all a bit different. For instance 7 songs played at the last show I saw in Boston weren't played at the first Vegas show I was at. That is a pretty decent swing. Unfortunately 2 of them were CD songs in the encore.. ughh lol...

Aside from the CD stuff the only songs I don't really care for are Wish You Were Here and Blackhole Sun.

All that said, they still do have a bunch of songs to choose from that they haven't played. Not sure if Axl could feasibly sing them all but they have plenty to choose from if they ever wanted to throw in another deep cut here and there. I would enjoy any of these.

Reckless Life
Nice Boys
Move to the City
Mama Kin
You're Crazy (slow version preferred)
Down On The Farm
Think About You
Anything Goes (It is still a good song.. Just out shined by the rest of the album. I actually like it better than the AFD version of You'r Crazy.
Dust N' Bones
You Ain't The First
Bad Obsession
Back Off Bitch
Don't Damn me
Bad Apples
Dead Horse
14 Years
Get In The Ring - without the rant
Breakdown
Shotgun Blues
Pretty Tied Up
Locomotive

• Like 3

I think the set is fine for NITL. They often play 3+ hours and have the hits, live standbys, deep cuts, CD and a VR song, and some covers

Sure, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, etc would be cool but it isn't as big a deal this tour for me

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tyler Drama said:

I think Mr. Brownstone is a bigger song than people realize. Song still gets played on the radio all the time and known by a lot of casuals. Basically a hit that was never really classified as a hit.

Totally accurate. MrB always a favorite among casuals who manage to listen to Appetite. A lot of them actually prefer it even to PC and WTTJ...

I am sure Axl would nail Pretty tied up vocally. So why they don't do it is strange. Not sure if there is a reason/story behind it and why they are not playing it.

Havent been played since 93 I think.

Edited by andy_rose

Agree with others, I don’t think the setlist was ever terrible. It’s pretty well balanced between hits and deeper cuts. I think they add just enough from leg to leg to keep things interesting. They do play a good amount of Appetite a night, Chinese on this leg is being pretty fairly played (as a Chinese fan I think 8 songs a night is getting ridiculous), we get deep cuts like Coma, ballads like Estranged. Not a fan of WYWH/Layla but I don’t mind it since the band needs time to prepare and ease into November Rain. They’ve usually been adding one or two goodies at each leg, so for now I think the setlist is pretty damn good actually.

Besides missing Locomotive of course.

20 minutes ago, andy_rose said:

Do you guys consider Estranged as a "deep cut"??

Kinda but not really... Its more one of the "live standbys" to me. Like In My Time of Dying by Zeppelin or Midnight Rambler by the Stones

Deepcuts imo would be things like Coma, DTJ, and Prostitute

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Kinda but not really... Its more one of the "live standbys" to me. Like In My Time of Dying by Zeppelin or Midnight Rambler by the Stones

Deepcuts imo would be things like Coma, DTJ, and Prostitute

In my circle, Estranged is as known as Sweet child. Everybody knows that song. 

But when I ask for lets say, Right next door to hell, folks looks strange at me.

And when they play it it's like wow, this song rocks. Is this new?

I know, I have wierd friends.

6 minutes ago, andy_rose said:

In my circle, Estranged is as known as Sweet child. Everybody knows that song. 

But when I ask for lets say, Right next door to hell, folks looks strange at me.

And when they play it it's like wow, this song rocks. Is this new?

I know, I have wierd friends.

If you sampled 100 casual fans, maybe 15 would know it

Great thread. I just wanted to comment on what someone else briefly touched on.

They don't pay royalties to Izzy for playing songs live, or any band that plays covers in bars/pubs wouldn't survive. You only pay if they are recorded and broadcast/sold. You can play anything live, the venues do pay towards costs but it's minimal.

I really don't think that would be the reason anyway. Axl would not omit songs not to pay Izzy a small royalty. 

I would personally love room for more tracks like Dead Horse, Perfect Crime, Locomotive, Back off Bitch and some lesser played CD songs. I'm just glad songs like Estranged, Coma and DTJ are now regulars at shows.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

First of all I think they do a pretty good job with the set list over all. Some bands don't change their sets at all and Guns do add subtle changes. My only gripe is when they play more than 3 CD songs but so far this leg they have balanced it out better. The 3 shows I saw this tour were all a bit different. For instance 7 songs played at the last show I saw in Boston weren't played at the first Vegas show I was at. That is a pretty decent swing. Unfortunately 2 of them were CD songs in the encore.. ughh lol...

Aside from the CD stuff the only songs I don't really care for are Wish You Were Here and Blackhole Sun.

All that said, they still do have a bunch of songs to choose from that they haven't played. Not sure if Axl could feasibly sing them all but they have plenty to choose from if they ever wanted to throw in another deep cut here and there. I would enjoy any of these.

Reckless Life
Nice Boys
Move to the City
Mama Kin
You're Crazy (slow version preferred)
Down On The Farm
Think About You
Anything Goes (It is still a good song.. Just out shined by the rest of the album. I actually like it better than the AFD version of You'r Crazy.
Dust N' Bones
You Ain't The First
Bad Obsession
Back Off Bitch
Don't Damn me
Bad Apples
Dead Horse
14 Years
Get In The Ring - without the rant
Breakdown
Shotgun Blues
Pretty Tied Up
Locomotive

Your list is the exact same as mine. All of those songs are some of my favorites 

• Like 1

As I stated in the previous thread, I went to see Def Leppard/Journey at Prudential Center on Friday. I compared the setlist. It was the same set list as the other concerts that both bands performed at. Additionally, both bands only played 1.5 hour each and only the hits. 

GNR is giving three hours of performance. They had the same setlist back in the UYI tour as well with slight changes. For this tour, the only song that I do think they need to drop is Wichita Lineman. It was such a downer. Other than that, the setlist is fine. 

On 17.6.2018 at 7:32 AM, Santacruz said:

To be honest: I am grateful that GNR are playing Wichita Lineman. Never heard of this song before but I am neither from the US or a country fan. I listened to the original version couple of days ago and I really love it! Great song! I think they started playing it because at the time Glen Campbell , the original singer, died. It is a great American tune!

And I think Axl really showed balls singing this song because he knows exactly that his audience is mostly there for the usual 5 GNR hits.

Which annoys me a bit. I wish Hardrock and GNR fans would be less conservative and and allow new Things to happen.It is so incredibly boring to ALWAYS Play the same songs..:blink:

I used to always complain 'bout covers, however few months ago I checked Wichita and since then it has been one of the highlights for me. I'm from Finland so I had no idea who is Glen Campbell and never heard the original version before but it suits perfectly for Axl. 

Edited by ElectricTear
  • Like 2

On 17. 6. 2018 at 1:55 AM, Gibson_Guy87 said:

People want the hits. Avenged Sevenfold let their fans pick the setlist for a leg of a tour one year and they all voted for the hits. 

For fuck sakes- Gnr has about an hour of hits-Scom, Jungle, PC, NR, YCBM, Lald, Knocking and Patience and Don't cry which they rarely play even though they are hits. Mr Brownstown, It's so easy out to get me, Rocket queen, not to mention fuckin Wichita limeman or the Seeker could easily be swapped with any UYI rocker and the casual fan would not be deprived of any hits

On 6/16/2018 at 4:15 PM, Sosso said:

Most of the people in the audience are casual fans and they wanna hear the bands classics. There's not much room left if you sum up every classic song, cover and solo/instrumental.

Yes, yes there is. There is literally over an hour of time that they can use to play better songs. Over an hour.