Happy 30th anniversary to Lies!

My number 2 Guns N' Roses album of all time.. Yes it is an album... Fucking hammered and I gotta work in the morning, but I cannot wait to contribute more to this thread...  \m/  Such a great era.. so many memories....

to be continued

Edited by Tom-Ass

Man those acoustic tracks tho.  

All are fucking top notch.  Some of their best work.  I wish we got a follow up to Lies.  A second acoustic EP ya know?

Move to the City and Reckless Life are fucking fantastic too.  And a great cover of Mama Kin.

Great album from front to back.  

• Like 3

Lies is incredible! Reckless Life has got to be one of the greatest rock n roll songs ever. It's all that's awesome about RnR distilled down to its purest form. WTTJ is like prog rock by comparison with its echo guitar intro and the tempo changes. Reckless Life is so perfectly in touch with the heritage of rock n roll. And that solo! We don't get many like that from slash. YCBM, Sucker Train Blues, maybe a few others. :headbang:

And Patience. Oh Patience. Duff, Izzy and Slash play so well together. Song has it all. The outro!!! Compare Patience to More Than Words or I'm the One Who Wants to Be With You. Guns is in an entirely different league than those guys.

I will say this with all the album anniversary threads though, it's difficult to reconcile how the Most Dangerous Band on the Planet manages to always release their albums in time for Christmas. Like "Mommy - I'd like Lies for Christmas please?!?!" "We'll see sweetie" Just doesn't jive with the moniker. On the flip side, knowing what we know now, its just great that they managed to release any albums, so I dont really care about time of year or Best Buy exclusives.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wasted said:

I should’ve said “I’m from the future, Len says he has a massive nob.” Then I would’ve got suspended again. 

I was in infants school in 89, you probably would've got done for talking to children about mens nobs :lol:  Mens nobs, what other kinda nobs are there?! :lol:

I bought it on cassette the day it was released. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have purchased a vinyl copy as well.

Obviously, "Patience" is the standout track. It's a complete 180 from anything on Appetite, even "Sweet Child O' Mine". It was also unusual for Lies to be released when it was, because Appetite was still in the top five, and "Paradise City" had yet to be released as a single.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I bought it on cassette the day it was released. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have purchased a vinyl copy as well.

Me too. I remember me and my Buddy leaving school to drive to a record store called Strawberries to buy it.  The walls were covered in racks displaying nothing but thousands of LIES cassettes.. I also remember skipping out of school with a couple girls to go watch the world premiere of the Patience video on MTV.. Good times.

• Like 2

i like the early stuff. Reckless, Nice Boys, Move to the City and Mama Kin. A young crazy Axl with a young voice and hair like Michael Monroe. I love the club days. I'm happy that Shadow Of Your Love was added to GN'R Lies in the AfD Remasterd Version. I really love the club days

The other half. 1988. A skilled Axl Rose with a amazing performance of You're Crazy. Thats Axl! Love Patience and Used To Love Her is funny. One of my first songs that i can play on guitar.. a simple D A G Song with funny lyrics

• Like 2