So has Axl ever written any guitar riffs for songs?

I believe he wrote the guitar on Shotgun Blues? Theres that break down riff, along wth the 'riffs' that make up the song.

Then he plays acoustic on Deadhorse and TWAT. I guess its debatable whether they would count as riffs? I guess its how riff is defined?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soon said:

I believe he wrote the guitar on Shotgun Blues? Theres that break down riff, along wth the 'riffs' that make up the song.

Then he plays acoustic on Deadhorse and TWAT. I guess its debatable whether they would count as riffs? I guess its how riff is defined?

i think he wrote the rhythm guitar for shotgun blues and he definetly plays it on the record

9 minutes ago, soon said:

5 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

i think he wrote the rhythm guitar for shotgun blues and he definetly plays it on the record

Thanks. So writing guitar is not the same as writing riffs, is it? For some reason it was about a riff in question. And also I think she thought of a more well-known song. Sorry, can’t be any more specific, fishing in the dark here. :) 

2 minutes ago, Sosso said:

He wrote all the guitar parts for Madagascar, according to Chris Pitman. 

Ah thanks. It’s only AfD or UYI that my friend and me were discussing about. Sorry, didn’t mention that before. ;) 

17 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Thanks. So writing guitar is not the same as writing riffs, is it? 

If you look in a book of guitar tablature, a lot of sections of music will be referred to as "riffs." So WTTJ might have 5-15 "riffs" according to the musical notations. At the same time, in conversation among music fans in general, WTTJ might be said to have one riff only - the famous intro riff. Or the intro riff and the very distinct verse riff might both be referred to that way.

Like in most of rocks musical vocabulary, its a fairly loose definition. For me Axl plays riffs on Shotgun and Dead Horse. And maybe lots of others, those are just what comes to mind. Madagascar is, for my uses of the term, more of a "chord progression." Or riff, I dunno. :shrugs:

• Like 1

From what he said, he wrote the riff for One in a Million (but he didn't play guitar on it because it didn't sound good). Then I guess it was arranged and enhanced by the band.

According to Slash's autobiography, Axl had already written the guitar and lyrics for Dead Horse before GnR was formed. I guess that song was arranged and expanded by the band later, as well.

And Shotgun Blues, since only Axl is credited in the liner notes and he plays rhythm on it too.

I don't think there are any other songs from the classic era Axl wrote guitar for. There is Madagascar from the CD era, as others mentioned, and I think also parts on TWAT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I can't find it right now, but there is footage of a gig where he plays guitar during TWAT. I think it was in the Buckethead era but could be wrong. It's really odd to see! 

Ha! Yesh. We all would like to see that, think ur mistaking twat with maddy