2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

2 minutes ago, DarkLotus1111 said:

I doubt it's true. There is no pictures of the CD anywhere.

Rick posted a photo of a sheet of paper titled 'Subject Masters' with 25 songs on it, with a couple of new titles on it. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Edited by Azifwekare

13 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Rick posted a photo of a sheet of paper titled 'Subject Masters' with 25 songs on it, with a couple of new titles on it. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Where can I find the photo for that CD demo? I'm guessing it's all instrumentals? 

Edited by DarkLotus1111

35 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Do you have a link to this photo?

1 minute ago, Shacklermyrye said:

I would be interested to see what the rest of those sheets say. more than cd's in the locker then I guess

Assuming it was mostly boring paperwork.  :P

Most surprising thing to me was tracks like This I Love, IRS, 3$P/Better, Shackler's, OMG, SOG, Perhaps not being on this "subject master" list.  I can't figure out a logical reason why, especially with TIL being an Illusions-era song.  

1 minute ago, Gackt said:

Most surprising thing to me was tracks like This I Love, IRS, 3$P/Better, Shackler's, OMG, SOG, Perhaps not being on this "subject master" list.  I can't figure out a logical reason why, especially with TIL being an Illusions-era song.  

There are seven other pages in that fax, the last page your reading from is titled Exhibit B.

Maybe Exhibit A is on the earlier pages with more titles, including the ones you mentioned 

8 minutes ago, Gackt said:

In regards to TIL, it's expected that it wasn't in that list as Axl had left it aside (probably after the breakdown described by Dave Dominguez) and decided/was convinced to include it later.

• Like 1

Looking at that list and those CDs has me thinking... was This I Love not worked on during the Chinese Democracy sessions until really late? Even Sorry, Shackler's, and Scraped seem to have been worked on more steadily over that period than TIL. Axl said in 1993 he "wrote and recorded" it initially the previous year, but it seems it was abandoned for a while until after Buckethead had left.

Email from Patti Hood circa 2007:

I did the session about 2 and a half years ago. Axl was not present at the session.

So that's around 2005 that Patti Hood played her parts.

I am on the song "This I Love". First I heard the instrumentation that was already completely recorded without the vocals. The song completely moved and inspired me for my arrangement.

And it didn't have vocals then, either.

Q: Do you think "This I Love" is still the heaviest thing you've written, or has another song popped up that now holds that title?

Axl: That's still it and ultimately a great healing experience to compose something you have no real idea you're capable of such as the bridge. It's a lot more intricate than I think most realize yet as the guitar and vocals are placed as they should be so dominant. The main string melody in that section I had originally written to a hip-hop loop as well.

I didn’t want to do This I love in anyway shape or form and Robin and Caram insisted gaining Tommy’s and the others support 

8 minutes ago, Amir said:

Looking at that list and those CDs has me thinking... was This I Love not worked on during the Chinese Democracy sessions until really late? Even Sorry, Shackler's, and Scraped seem to have been worked on more steadily over that period than TIL. Axl said in 1993 he "wrote and recorded" it initially the previous year, but it seems it was abandoned for a while until after Buckethead had left.

That Axl interview, where he mentioned TIL, was done in late 1992 during the SA tour leg. Axl said during a show in France in 2010 that TIL was written there (source: Chinese Whispers) so it's assumed that it was written in Paris in 1992 and recorded in various studios during the tour.

It was supposed to be used in a movie, most likely in 1998, and Axl sent Dave Dominguez, the engineer, to collect the DAT tapes from the studios. But, according to Dominguez (GNR Central interview) Axl got upset when he heard the original lyrics, namely a line about Stephanie Seymour, and told him to erase it (it's not clear if the whole song was erased or that part only). So I guess Axl abandoned it and decided to work on it much later. Dominguez said that the song that ended up on CD was very different from the original demo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, RONIN said:

Just heard Chinese Democracy from the Beavan sessions w/ Freese on drums. Wow!

It's incredible how much this version kicks the shit out of the album version. Leaner, meaner, better produced. That Freese drumming is killer.

Agreed.  I also love the bass heavier in the mix during the verses.

• Like 3

I think it shows that actually there are some great songs on Chinese Democracy... but there are all buried under the mix!

It seems like the album was ready in the early 00’s but axl spent 6 or 7 years endless tweaking parts here and there and the songs lost their edge in the process.

It’s a shame. If the album had been released at that time it might have been received better by the fansIn the end by 2008 it had become a bit of a joke that it took so long and the album was never going to be good enough to make up for the time it took.