On this day September 17, 1991

Just now, marlingrl03 said:

He posts sometimes about GNR...sure why not? :shades: Was a big part of his life....something I am sure he will always look back on! I am glad he does..I like Matt. 

Yes, i think that in the Matt carrer GNR was his most high point. Sad that his relationship don't work.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

Yeah, maybe Axl and Fernando really despise him. Because Slash and Duff were able to make a bridge for Steven. I'm sure they tried for Matt but couldn't.

Fernando always will despise it that Axl despise.....he years ago said very contemptouous things about Slash too. Respect Matt is Axl who has the last word. Doesn't nothing that Slash nor Duff can do. Pity, l liked Matt.

20 hours ago, Towelie said:

Fucking love these albums to death. People call em bloated, but I don't agree. There's a few duds (Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues and So Fine) but even they're fun to listen to at times. I do wish they'd put Ain't Goin Down on there though - that's a great track.

Totally agree. The 'bloated' criticism is weak. For example, the songs you don't care for many other fans do and vice versa. Hence there is plenty of material for everyone to enjoy and identify with.

For me, I really only would classify 'My world' as a waste of album space. But there are also a few out there that actually liked it.

I've never been a big fan of 'Back Off Bitch' either -- which I know dates back to before AFD. But on the whole, I love 98% of both albums and I'm glad they decided to release all that material. Actually wish they had released more.

For a long time, I preferred UYI II over its counterpart, but over time, I think it's actually shifted the other way round.

When the albums first dropped, I felt the same way. But over a period of a couple years as I played the hell out of them, I discovered that UYI I is the superior album for me.

LALD, Don't Cry (Orig.), Perfect Crime, Garden of Eden and Coma are among my most favorite tracks from both albums and all appear on UYI. I'd also place Civil War, Breakdown, and Locomotive in my tier 1 but that's only 3 songs compared to 5.

Choosing between the two albums is akin to choosing a favorite child. You really can't do it! But I cannot deny that if forced to choose between the two while stranded on a island -- I'd have to go with UYI I.

Oh, and Don't Cry alt lyrics >>> Don't Cry original every fucking time.

Here's the one thing I disagree with you on. While I do dig the ALT version, I just have a soft spot for the original. The DEMO version of the song off the single might be my all-time favorite GN'R recording, along with Rocket Queen. I just love the vulnerability and passion in AXL's voice and the rawness of the music. Also, the lyrics just speak to me a bit more and the fact that it was the first song AXL and IZZY wrote together in GN'R.

Edited by thunderram

19 hours ago, Twinaleblood said:

I was a little kid all hyped about the upcoming T2 movie, had no idea who GNR were. Then I saw the YCBM video on tv and I was absolutely interested because it was tied in with the movie. I loved the song and it kickstarted my interest in heavier music eventually. A few months later, early '92, I taped both UYI albums from a cousin who happened to have the cds. Over the next couple of years GNR became the most famous international rock band here in Italy. Metallica and Nirvana were obviously huge too, but not on a GNR level. I mean, in 1993 a line of GNR school supplies was launched here: school bags, copy books, diaries, folders... I still have most of those. Also, there was a tv commercial for paper towels starring this teenager wearing a GNR t-shirt. That says a lot about how big they were here in the UYI era. 1993 was definitely their peak of popularity in Italy.

Do you still have that school stuff?. I was never aware of that sort of merch.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, thunderram said:

When the albums first dropped, I felt the same way. But over a period of a couple years as I played the hell out of them, I discovered that UYI I is the superior album for me.

LALD, Don't Cry (Orig.), Perfect Crime, Garden of Eden and Coma are among my most favorite tracks from both albums and all appear on UYI. I'd also place Civil War, Breakdown, and Locomotive in my tier 1 but that's only 3 songs compared to 5.

Choosing between the two albums is akin to choosing a favorite child. You really can't do it! But I cannot deny that if forced to choose between the two while stranded on a island -- I'd have to go with UYI I..

I think UYI II possibly has some better individual songs; Estranged and You Could Be Mine in particular, but definitely also has the majority of the worst songs; My World, Shotgun Blues, Get in the Ring, so fine, (also not a fan of alt don’t cry) and for me these songs just bring the album down a bit too far

UYI is better as a listen from start to finish. Although there is filler like you ain’t the first, back off, bad apples it’s not so bad you want to turn it off

Edited by dave94

Live and Let Die

Don’t Cry (Original)

November Rain

Civil War

Yesterdays

Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door

Estranged

You Could Be Mine

I’m not going to wax poetic until “the twins” hit their 30th. That said- needless to say- they are my favorite albums and era (see my avatar + I was in high school 91-94). What I will observe though is that in a time and place where everyone’s looking for “big guns” in the recent leaks, etc., just look at the above list of tunes and realize how much the Illusions delivered the goods. There always seems to be a lot of apologizing and angst about these records w/o realizing 95%+ of the established bands out there would give their left nut to have these in their discography...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Bought UYI 2 and a blank tape, my buddy bought UYI 1 and a blank tape, I copied his and he mine and that was the first copies of them I had. That was 3-4 days after release.

I bought 2 as Id heard KOHD, that was it. I eventually bought 1 that Christmas to have the insert card and lyrics 😂

There was definitely more emphasis/attention on II right out of the gate for most folks b/c it had “KOHD”, “CW”, “YCBM”, and even its own version of “DC”. Then I think I began to take over in ‘92 with “LALD”, “DC” (orig.) and most especially “NR”...

7 hours ago, dave94 said:

I think UYI II possibly has some better individual songs; Estranged and You Could Be Mine in particular, but definitely also has the majority of the worst songs; My World, Shotgun Blues, Get in the Ring, so fine, (also not a fan of alt don’t cry) and for me these songs just bring the album down a bit too far

UYI is better as a listen from start to finish. Although there is filler like you ain’t the first, back off, bad apples it’s not so bad you want to turn it off

Bad Apples and YATF are great tracks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Live and Let Die

Don’t Cry (Original)

November Rain

Civil War

Yesterdays

Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door

Estranged

You Could Be Mine

I’m not going to wax poetic until “the twins” hit their 30th. That said- needless to say- they are my favorite albums and era (see my avatar + I was in high school 91-94). What I will observe though is that in a time and place where everyone’s looking for “big guns” in the recent leaks, etc., just look at the above list of tunes and realize how much the Illusions delivered the goods. There always seems to be a lot of apologizing and angst about these records w/o realizing 95%+ of the established bands out there would give their left nut to have these in their discography...

The albums were released when i w as in high school and i immediately geg transported back to that period when i listen to the albjms. More the first album because i heard RNDTH at school being played and thought "fuck the albums are out". I recognised axls voice and wagged the rest of the school classes to go and buy them.

19 hours ago, Towelie said:

Bad Apples and YATF are great tracks!

Yep.

Bad Apples was one I latched on to much later. And once I did I was like "WTF was wrong with me all this time?!". Same goes for 'Garden of Eden' and 'Perfect Crime'. It took me a few years til I fully appreciated them. Perfect Crime became one of my favorites on both albums. Short, extremely loud, volatile, and fast!!