Jump to content
KeyserSoze

Would GNR play 'Pretty Tied Up' ever again given our current political and social climate?

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It's from a dutch poem or something? Van den vos Reynaerde

Interesting description on Wikipedia: Satire about a fox who kills and bullies, and gets away with his deeds. The rest of society isn't much better. The nobility is being portrayed as lazy and often stupid. Clergymen are sexually active. The common population is often violent and cruel. Many women are sexually promiscuous and include prostitutes.

Not Dutch. Flemish.:)

I think most of those old tales were cruel and involve a lot of sex, like the fairy tales. Difference here is that the bad guy basically wins.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lio said:

Not Dutch. Flemish.:)

I think most of those old tales were cruel and involve a lot of sex, like the fairy tales. Difference here is that the bad guy basically wins.

It's still a Dutch literary thing. Like it or not, you guys (try to) speak Dutch. :P 

But yes, Flemish poet. Based on a Latin thing I've heard. Not sure about that. 

Edited by username

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

From what @action just said and the picture I assumed it was a charming and innocent children's book lol.

Regarding One In A Million and Pretty Tied Up etc, I've said it before but it basically comes down to context. We can debate artistic freedom vs censorship but really all that matters is context. And that the songs are good.

One in a million will almost certainly never get played again live, it's just too loaded... no matter how Axl actually meant those lyrics. Pretty tied up on the other hand is much more likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Now that the trend seems to be resurrecting songs from the dead, especially live and from the UYI era, Do you think the band would give this song a go given what it's about and how Izzy describes this chick???

 I know its not everyones thing, but given how sexual abuse has pretty much seeped its way into every fraction of society, do you think the band has chosen to steer clear of even thinking about playing this song?

It seems like this song flew under the radar when Duff was asked about the bands past lyrics and how they still feel. I mean hell, they do play It's So Easy every single night. Dizzy even plays a watered down version of this song with his cover band Hookers & Blow..

If that was the case then, there was no way they would have unearthed the It's so easy video for the boxset, also as you mentioned the lyrics in It's so easy :D I think they'll get around to it, but there are other songs they just prefer to play. Don't think Pretty tied up being out of the set has anything to do with The current social movement etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many others have already said it well. But there is nothing at all in PTU that should be flagged for this conversation... like, nothing. They just started playing Locomotive on the other hand which does contain some challenging lyrics.

Pretty sure they wont play PTU because its an Izzy lyric predicting everything that Guns has devolved to in NITL.

 

PS: I cant think of a single instance in the "current political and social climate" where kink has been labeled as problematic?? And nor should it. But I dont believe it has been. Theres that smash hit series of novels and films though...

Edited by soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

One in a million will almost certainly never get played again live, it's just too loaded... no matter how Axl actually meant those lyrics. Pretty tied up on the other hand is much more likely.

Yeah agreed and considering the context of the current political climate and the way that it's easily misinterpreted, it probably shouldn't be played live again. But at the same time, it's merely a song and you have to be very careful with censoring, it's dangerous. I only defend the song in the context of my enjoyment of it and its right to exist, I have no interest in upsetting folks going around spouting the lyrics.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, username said:

It's still a Dutch literary thing. Like it or not, you guys (try to) speak Dutch. :P 

But yes, Flemish poet. Based on a Latin thing I've heard. Not sure about that. 

I prefer the modern interpretation by "louis paul boon", called "brothers in arms" not translated in english. Boon is my favorite writer. It's very readable and humerous and one of my favorite books.

The nazis made their own version of the tale, and made a horrible anstisemetic animation film / book about it. Too bad that a big part of our medieval literary heritage is spoiled this way. But few people are aware of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they should play it.... play one in a million as well.... why not.

its only music, not actual hate speech. It should be taken for what it is but we live in such a PC world these days it's fucked. Nobody can say what's on their mind without offending someone but ultimately everyone gets over it so who cares really.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I think they should play it.... play one in a million as well.... why not.

its only music, not actual hate speech. It should be taken for what it is but we live in such a PC world these days it's fucked. Nobody can say what's on their mind without offending someone but ultimately everyone gets over it so who cares really.

This is really stupid. Really. 

Hope you get over it. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I think they should play it.... play one in a million as well.... why not.

its only music, not actual hate speech. It should be taken for what it is but we live in such a PC world these days it's fucked. Nobody can say what's on their mind without offending someone but ultimately everyone gets over it so who cares really.

they will not cause controversy to please some fans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reference to "cool ranch dressing" is so offensive. I mean only Southerners and farmers in the midwest eat that shit. And with the looming trans fat ban Ranch dressing will be just one more thing that the coastal elites will steal from rural folks. I mean fat shaming much. smh 

:lol::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Once there was this rock n roll band rolling on the streets

Time went by and it became a joke

This is basically the NuGNR period.

But yeah, when you get older, becomes successful and gets shit loaded of money, you instantly starts to be seen as a corporate thing etc. There’s no way a band can pretend their lives hasn’t changed after success. With GNR in the 90s, Axl’s excesses helped a lot with that perception.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah agreed and considering the context of the current political climate and the way that it's easily misinterpreted, it probably shouldn't be played live again. But at the same time, it's merely a song and you have to be very careful with censoring, it's dangerous. I only defend the song in the context of my enjoyment of it and its right to exist, I have no interest in upsetting folks going around spouting the lyrics.

I agree with this. This is by far the worst time in recent history for censoring. I love the vocal tone and melody of the song, but for me it's not one of my favourites, not because of the lyrics.

Personally, because it's not meant in a racist way, I think they should be able to play it but... You're right people are just in pounce mode now.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard on the internet from Crowder and Robbins that there is an impending race war! Should they stop playing Civil War?!?! Because I assume that would offend the PC police, yeah? :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soon said:

The reference to "cool ranch dressing" is so offensive. I mean only Southerners and farmers in the midwest eat that shit. And with the looming trans fat ban Ranch dressing will be just one more thing that the coastal elites will steal from rural folks. I mean fat shaming much. smh 

:lol::lol:

it's "cool and stressing", cool ranch dressing would make no sense as lyrics lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

it's "cool and stressing", cool ranch dressing would make no sense as lyrics lol.

Nope, written its cool and stressing, but he pronounces it Cool ranch dressing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, soon said:

Nope, written its cool and stressing, but he pronounces it Cool ranch dressing

I thought the UYI II CD booklet says “Cool ranch dressing”? Guess it doesn’t. Always just thought of it as a mix of food and sex 😂 but it is at the part “it’s days like this that push me over the brink”

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I thought the UYI II CD booklet says “Cool ranch dressing”? Guess it doesn’t. Always just thought of it as a mix of food and sex 😂 but it is at the part “it’s days like this that push me over the brink”

I like your take - something about food and sex!! :headbang: :lol: 

You might very well be right about the booklet. The lyric sites usually mention both phrases, with one in brackets. If I had to guess the lyrics were written as "cool and stressing" but you know Axl, always cracking jokes..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't think Axl and Slash are as concerned or as delusional about this stuff as Duff... They still play Used To Love Her, It's So Easy and such.. Bring on Pretty Tied Up when Izzy shows up for a surprise Encore.. 

Izzy walks on stage and they play a long ass encore

Pretty Tied up
Out ta' Get me
Dust N' Bones
Don't Cry
Think About You
Patience
Paradise City

Boom

You forgot 14 Years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, action said:

I'm always amazed when people say things like this.

I'm of the school of thought that claims you either appreciate an artists' work or you don't. But at the end of the day, it's still art. Art is meant to evoke a wide range of feelings. As long as it doesn't "incite" hate, then I feel offensive art has it's place and should not be hidden.

Axl doesn't say "death to all gays" or something. He just adresses them with a certain, offensive term. Nowhere in the song does he incite hate to them, he only tells them to leave them alone. Personally, I love the song for the attitude it dares to exhibit, I like that. It goes against mainstream etiquette, and therein lies the artistic value of this song.

It's an art piece and I've always understood it as such and loved the song for it. However, the moment you release art you have no control about how its being received and so the artist has very limited if any responsibilty. But that's something the general public and the media will never admit because it would put responsibilty on them. GNR opening a set with OIAM might bring them attention of the kind that wouldn't spark open, deep and reflective discussions about art, racism or free speech, it would just lead to another dead end hippocrisy shitfest. For the record: I think that song is a masterpiece and among their finest works. But it's way above and beyond the mental state of the general public. It's nowhere near as dangerous as "Working Class Hero" by John Lennon though.

Edited by adamsapple
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×