Eddie trunk rant and gnr discussion

49 minutes ago, Bucketbot25 said:

Eddie Trunk sucks because he is an asskiss, thinks he is way more important than what he is, and spews out logical or general knowledge about the music industry making it sound like he is such an insider. Yes he has been in the industry...whooptydoo. Hanging off Ace Frehley's balls or plugging some lame hair metal band also makes him a joke in my eyes. Also just listening to him is annoying..he is always name dropping or pulling the "I just have to be honest" card when yet again it is very basic thoughts. A lot of his clips on youtube are ponderous to get through and feature just a kernel of what the click bait title set it up as.

I totally agree with everything you said. My opinion of him has nothing to do with whatever he says about GNR. It's got everything to do with everything you listed. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Eddie is one of those industry guys who thinks he's better than all of the fans, or at least that's the impression I've always got from him. 

you are spot on.  I went to see SMKC in 2013 in Bethlehem, Pa.  eddie truck sat in an empty section which was closed off to anyone else and was a dick to the fans around him.  I only knew him from that metal show at the time and thought he would be cool, like he was one of the fans.   he was a total dick.  wouldn't shake hands, or even acknowledge the fans with the exception of an awkward headnod as he left half way they the set

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Eddie is one of those industry guys who thinks he's better than all of the fans, or at least that's the impression I've always got from him. 

3 hours ago, Bucketbot25 said:

Eddie Trunk sucks because he is an asskiss, thinks he is way more important than what he is, and spews out logical or general knowledge about the music industry making it sound like he is such an insider. Yes he has been in the industry...whooptydoo. Hanging off Ace Frehley's balls or plugging some lame hair metal band also makes him a joke in my eyes. Also just listening to him is annoying..he is always name dropping or pulling the "I just have to be honest" card when yet again it is very basic thoughts. A lot of his clips on youtube are ponderous to get through and feature just a kernel of what the click bait title set it up as.

I agree with all of that. Especially the name dropping, like he's so much more special or better than everyone else (as @RussTCB said).

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

side topic but is it safe to say that izzy is not joining gnr at all this leg 

how is niven's comment on his appearance happening at some point turning out 

Now there's another idiot.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Bucketbot25 said:

Look, if he was just a ass kisser why would these guys bother giving him their personal phone numbers? This guy is in group texts with them, flys with them(sometimes)... maybe there's a bit of a backlash towards him having that relationship, because he "shouldn't", as he's not a musician?

The reality is he knows them, has worked his ass off for years, knows every detail about their individual bands and side projects and they appreciate having a guy on their side willing to play their new record on radio, when no other station will. If they didn't like him on a personal level, they would let their managers deal with him and just call in when an interview was scheduled.

Name dropping can't  be that big a sin for this much hostility 🤣

Finally, just because you know about general music industry info, does not mean everybody else does! When he's talking about this stuff it's usually because he's asked over and over about it. "Why doesn't x band play in Baltimore?" Well because the promoter didn't reach out with an offer big enough or they didn't have a suitable venue - we know this stuff, but go to any fb comment section under a tour announcement and see how many people don't.

Edited by Tom2112

Hey Tom2112 are you sure that you're not employed by Trunk?  Ummm that rebuttal is really baseless. Asskissing can easily get phone numbers. It's pure fluffing so he can get stories and leads so it is very two fold. 1. So the bands can get free press and hype and 2. Strokes Trunk's ego so he thinks that he is good buddies with whoever. But yeah...I'm totally jealous..I wish that I was group texting Blackie Lawless and flying on a plane with Kip Winger. You got me there! 

I am a guy who has spent a good chunk of time listening to his garbage hype to form an opinion and it seems that some people agree with me. If you dig him, you dig him, that's it. But you're coming off as a fanboy and a fanboy for Eddie Trunk! Now I know enough that if I am on Youtube and see something pertaining to him that the headline is really just a small anecdote filled with puff and that I am wasting my time. But it's cool if you like it.

Edited by Bucketbot25
spelling

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Eddie’s behavior reminds me of this guy:

for context: he hosts a starwars podcast and wanted early access to that new theme park they just opened, and when he was denied that, he said he deserved to go early because he’d been “busting his ass as a starwars fan for five years.”

Hahaha. I unsubscribed Collider back in 2018 after Harloff's constant moaning about Last Jedi. Like the movie or not, it's fine. But all he did was non-stop crying about Kathleen Kennedy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Hahaha. I unsubscribed Collider back in 2018 after Harloff's constant moaning about Last Jedi. Like the movie or not, it's fine. But all he did was non-stop crying about Kathleen Kennedy.

He was just butthurt that his Rey Kenobi theory never came true after he insisted for two years straight that it was gonna be that! :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, rocknroll41 said:

He was just butthurt that his Rey Kenobi theory never came true after he insisted for two years straight that it was gonna be that! :lol:

Hahahaha yes! I didnt even remember that. 

Also he was obsessed with the Kenobi movie. Not sure how he reacted after the confirmation of the Disney+ mini-series, but that wasn't his scoop at all, it was John Hoey from SWNN.

25 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Hahahaha yes! I didnt even remember that. 

Also he was obsessed with the Kenobi movie. Not sure how he reacted after the confirmation of the Disney+ mini-series, but that wasn't his scoop at all, it was John Hoey from SWNN.

I think he still wishes it was a movie instead, but is fine with it being a show. On topic; I think his ego got inflated after an author friend of his from Lucasfilm named an official starwars planet after him. Must’ve made him feel like he was entitled to all the exclusives.

trunk must be similar. I bet he feels like he’s entitled to gnr’s inner circle just cause he has slash on speed dial and interviewed Axl a couple of times.

6 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I think he still wishes it was a movie instead, but is fine with it being a show. On topic; I think his ego got inflated after an author friend of his from Lucasfilm named an official starwars planet after him. Must’ve made him feel like he was entitled to all the exclusives.

trunk must be similar. I bet he feels like he’s entitled to gnr’s inner circle just cause he has slash on speed dial and interviewed Axl a couple of times.

TBH, I dont listen to Eddie Trunk, but I understand now what you guys were talking about him. His entitlement feels very wrong.

21 hours ago, Bucketbot25 said:

Hey Tom2112 are you sure that you're not employed by Trunk?  Ummm that rebuttal is really baseless. Asskissing can easily get phone numbers. It's pure fluffing so he can get stories and leads so it is very two fold. 1. So the bands can get free press and hype and 2. Strokes Trunk's ego so he thinks that he is good buddies with whoever. But yeah...I'm totally jealous..I wish that I was group texting Blackie Lawless and flying on a plane with Kip Winger. You got me there! 

I am a guy who has spent a good chunk of time listening to his garbage hype to form an opinion and it seems that some people agree with me. If you dig him, you dig him, that's it. But you're coming off as a fanboy and a fanboy for Eddie Trunk! Now I know enough that if I am on Youtube and see something pertaining to him that the headline is really just a small anecdote filled with puff and that I am wasting my time. But it's cool if you like it.

Yes, it is I Eddie Trunk, you caught me! Mwhahaha!:facepalm:

You can make him sound smaller than he is, if that gets your juices flowing ;) You can explain away how and why these people decide to give him personal access, rather than blah, blah name at Rolling stone... You just sound disgruntled. Reading you comment, I cannot work out what personal slight he's done to you?  He's a bit entitled and somewhat annoying we can all agree on that. 

I'll try and gets this back on track... Tell me, what part of the two videos do you not disagree with?  Do you think it's fine that Duff and Richard don't have the authority to allow people to stand backstage, Or do you think it's Ok for GNR to go out on the road and not sound great for a few shows, just because it's early on a run and Axl or the band isn't yet warmed up? If you think THAT'S Ok, then you are certainly the fanboy in this situation. Personally, I appreciate someone with some reach in the industry, saying the things that we at mygnr say all the time.

You're getting bogged down in all this bullshit about whether he's friends with people and disregarding perfectly sensible / reasonable arguments. Also, his fans upload the videos to youtube and name them... you should probably know that, but you honestly seem like a read the headline and comment type ;) 

Edited by Tom2112

On 10/25/2019 at 8:01 PM, Creed said:

Eddie is probably the last dude outside TB who still tries to lick Axls ass. I would have give it up at some point. The whole 5 o'clock somewhere interview was just nuts. Every normal human being would say: 'Eddie, i'm sorry, man. I'll invite you to another concert or lets do it at my home. Or lets do a Skype Interview'

But no...Axl is playing with him like with...us. 

Being late a couple of minutes, fine. being late for hours, not cool at all. And treating people like this is just disrespectful.

while saying this: stop it, Eddie. Axl doesn't deserve YOU as an Interviewer.

the caller is Rick Dunsford, right?

“5 o’clock somewhere interview” LOL.  And Axl didn’t have balls to show up solo so he brought Darren with him.  I’m sure Trunk was like WTF....😀.  

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Yes, it is I Eddie Trunk, you caught me! Mwhahaha!:facepalm:

You can make him sound smaller than he is, if that gets your juices flowing ;) You can explain away how and why these people decide to give him personal access, rather than blah, blah name at Rolling stone... You just sound disgruntled. Reading you comment, I cannot work out what personal slight he's done to you?  He's a bit entitled and somewhat annoying we can all agree on that. 

I'll try and gets this back on track... Tell me, what part of the two videos do you not disagree with?  Do you think it's fine that Duff and Richard don't have the authority to allow people to stand backstage, Or do you think it's Ok for GNR to go out on the road and not sound great for a few shows, just because it's early on a run and Axl or the band isn't yet warmed up? If you think THAT'S Ok, then you are certainly the fanboy in this situation. Personally, I appreciate someone with some reach in the industry, saying the things that we at mygnr say all the time.

You're getting bogged down in all this bullshit about whether he's friends with people and disregarding perfectly sensible / reasonable arguments. Also, his fans upload the videos to youtube and name them... you should probably know that, but you honestly seem like a read the headline and comment type ;) 

Yet again you are completely off base and come off as a sycophantic fanboy. Your reading of me is pure delusion. Yet again I based my opinion solely on actually listening to him and finding that he sucks as a broadcaster and can't do anything with even remotely interesting content including guests. I'm not denying Trunk's history in the business but that doesn't translate to a decent host. I would think that with music news happening nonstop that he would have a show that wasn't dull and bogged down by his ego and lack of skill at broadcasting but like I stated if you like it..you like it and that's fine. You know opinions? My opinion of Trunk has been formulated since the IRS leak so that's what? A history of 16 years to form an opinion and give the guy multiple chances. He even had Axl Rose on in 2006 and it was a lame fluff interview. That's just what I think and I don't appreciate you coming at me with my honest subjective opinion and turning it into crazed thoughts where I and whoever don't like him is jealous. That's insane and I am done with this conversation because you can't even carry a healthy debate. Cue the Curb your Enthusiasm music.

6 hours ago, Bucketbot25 said:

Yet again you are completely off base and come off as a sycophantic fanboy. Your reading of me is pure delusion. Yet again I based my opinion solely on actually listening to him and finding that he sucks as a broadcaster and can't do anything with even remotely interesting content including guests. I'm not denying Trunk's history in the business but that doesn't translate to a decent host. I would think that with music news happening nonstop that he would have a show that wasn't dull and bogged down by his ego and lack of skill at broadcasting but like I stated if you like it..you like it and that's fine. You know opinions? My opinion of Trunk has been formulated since the IRS leak so that's what? A history of 16 years to form an opinion and give the guy multiple chances. He even had Axl Rose on in 2006 and it was a lame fluff interview. That's just what I think and I don't appreciate you coming at me with my honest subjective opinion and turning it into crazed thoughts where I and whoever don't like him is jealous. That's insane and I am done with this conversation because you can't even carry a healthy debate. Cue the Curb your Enthusiasm music.

Your opinion isn't fact it's you talking out of your ass. If he wasn't a skilled broadcaster people wouldn't  tune in, networks wouldn't offer him prime time slots to broadcast and he certainly wouldn't  be around 30yrs after he started. That's fact. You may not like him, and that's fact for you! Singular. But many, many others obviously disagree otherwise he'd be on community radio and introing bands at biker rallies.

It's also your opinion that whoever doesn't  like him is jealous, I questioned whether that was where the backlash had come from. I didn't  say you were jealous and I certainly don't mind if you don't like some random rock radio host. My interest with you is purely based on why you hate him so much, and you can't  answer it beyond saying he's a talentless broadcaster... yet I hear bad broadcasters every day but I don't hate them, I just don't  listen to them and I certainly wouldn't  bother commenting on a thread that centres around that person's opinions. That's insane.

I can't debate? That's delusion!😄 I asked a simple question and because you know your horse shit argument falls apart by answering it, you go back to calling me a fanboy or whatever other word googles thesaurus throws at you. Read my comments you fool, and then answer. Seems like you responded without reading all over again, short attention span?😉

Now go on your way, schools out👋

To hell with Eddie Trunk. I'll always remember him ranting for 20 minutes on his podcast after the first reunion shows, "I mean, I know stuff the public doesn't because of my association with certain members of the band, but I can't say anything specific. But I know things!" God if I took a shot of tequila every time he said that I'd die from acute alcohol poisoning. Guy just loves name dropping because he can. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Gunner55 said:

To hell with Eddie Trunk. I'll always remember him ranting for 20 minutes on his podcast after the first reunion shows, "I mean, I know stuff the public doesn't because of my association with certain members of the band, but I can't say anything specific. But I know things!" God if I took a shot of tequila every time he said that I'd die from acute alcohol poisoning. Guy just loves name dropping because he can. 

Ah yes!! I remember that too (thanks for the reminder), it took me a long, long time to listen to him again after all that. The guy was completely in dark over that reunion as he's since stated! Unless he was talking about Bumblefoots departure? he didn't have a clue what was going on with GNR in 2015/2016.

Yep, that whole thing is where the tide started shifting most on Eddie around here. And in fairness he was super annoying at that point, and knew as much or as little as we did :lol: 

Guess what Eddie Trunk. These bands are in position to do whatever they want to do. If you don't like it, don't go!

If he wants to do something different, develop some talent and do your own thing with your own band.

Nobody tells Eddie Trunk what he should talk about on his show, do they? I mean, radio hosts go off topic all the time and talk about stuff that perhaps not all their listeners want to hear about ... but does that stop them? Do they care???

I hate when people have the nerve to think others need to do what they think they should do. How self-absorbed do you have to be?

Don't like it, go do it better yourself and stop being a whiny bitch!

Listening now ...

I really wouldn't say Trunk is talking about GNR in this instance. 'Cause everybody wants to hear Slash. And Axl does need his breather during that extended RQ bridge. I mean, they're playing three hours, not 60 minutes. Eddie is very clearly talking about bands who do 75-minute sets and 15-20 minutes of it are solos. GNR don't really do drum or bass solos on NITL. This has nothing to do with Guns N' Roses outside of the mention of a band playing The Who, which to me seems more coincidental than anything. 

Trunk: "You have a 15-album catalog ... why am I hearing you play Led Zeppelin or The Who?" 

Second video:

The caller is a moron. Not for being underwhelmed by GNR. But for criticizing Axl running to his changing room ... or Axl throwing his mic. stand. Why the hell would that bother anyone? Critiquing Axl's voice or the band's performance is different. So this caller claims they were "trying to thicken" Axl's voice up with a backing track. Guarantee you what he heard was Duff and, particularly, Melissa.

The only thing I agree with him on is, the band should be tight from jump. They shouldn't spend the first couple shows "working out the kinks." Unless they're freestylin' the set list. Then that's pretty fuckin' awesome and mistakes are forgiveable no matter what you played. It's rock and roll. It's not Britney Spears dancing and lip synching.

Edited by GnR Chris

I've met Eddie at Monsters of Rock in São Paulo, I think it was in 2013. He was kind of hosting the festival, announcing the bands and all. I saw him walking around and nobody seemed to know who he was. I approached him, asked for a photo, we talked about that Axl/Baz interview, Skid Row, I told him some stories from when I worked for Sebastian Bach's band back in 2005. He seemed a pretty cool guy to me, but most importantly, a fan. And maybe there's his problem: when you're a music journalist you've got to separate your 'fan boy' persona from your job. Every year is the same old soap opera about "how come the grammy's doesn't have a rock/metal band performing?", "Why does the RnRHOF keeps on ignoring bands X and Z"

At the end of the day, he's just a fan with a big soapbox to get onto and talk. There's goes his credibility, there goes everything.

At the first video he gave props to Justin Hawkins for giving an honest opinion on Greta. But he doesn't give honest opinions when he doesn't get his way with a band because he still white knuckles tight on the remote possibility of getting THAT interview. It's not gonna happen, bro. Neither is the Skid Row Reunion too, so get over it. 

Edited by Pinball Wizard
typos
  • Like 1