STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

3 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I generally think I will enjoy the film. I think it's just the fact that they are marketing it as the end of the "Skywalker Saga" when this trilogy hasn't really been that, that kinda irks me the wrong way. Also relying heavily on nostalgia, old characters and fan service, whilst exciting and engaging to watch at the time usually makes a film of little substance. Which is what a lot of people are saying about this one. Don't get me wrong, TLJ clearly relied on this stuff as well, but it at least tried something different and tried to create an engaging story that had somewhat of a message at the same time. 

After me writing that you wouldn't think I'm excited to see it but I am 😂😁

Supposedly Rey takes the name Rey Skywalker in the last scene of the film in tribute to Luke and Leia after kicking the Emperor’s arse. That’s where the title come from.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah they’re gonna announce the next one in January. I hope it’s Knights of the Old Republic!

Bob Iger also said in a interview recently that next one is "really important" and that they are thinking of moving away from trilogies and just doing sequels. 

13 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Reveal hidden contents

Supposedly Rey takes the name Rey Skywalker in the last scene of the film in tribute to Luke and Leia after kicking the Emperor’s arse. That’s where the title come from.

Yeah I read the leaks, I'm still meh on it and like I said I'm just looking forward to the fan service and am not expecting anything particularly great. 

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

That's where my limited knowledge of cinema benefits me. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand people who are super duper passionate about Star Wars and movies in general, but I'm just not. 

I probably infuriate most cinephiles the way most casual music fans infuriate me lol. For me personally, I go to Star Wars films to watch laser swords, Jedis, the bad guys almost winning for a bit, then the good guys ultimately overcoming the odds and winning. 

The above paragraph probably explains why I loved TFA. The biggest reason I continue to object to TLJ is because it was so far off from the things I go to a Star Wars movie for. Speaking of TLJ, earlier in the thread I forgot to mention one other thing that I hated about it: the "prank call" that Poe made near the beginning was so stupid. It was like Johnson was trying to force a Marvel moment into a SW picture. That was the exact moment where I was like "Uh oh, I don't think I'm going to like this thing". 

In any case, I totally get people that live and die by these movies. I'm that way with many albums. Hell, there's certain albums out there that I'm going to defend until the day I die (CD, yes, but a lot of others too). However, I'm just not passionate enough about it to really hate on these things. Sure, I disliked TLJ for a number of reasons but not enough to write off this whole deal. Plus, it seems like JJ is batting clean up on everything I disliked anyway. 

I don't think you're wrong in any respect.  

They're movies, after all, about laser swords, nonsensical jedi powers, flying space battles, good over coming evil in the end.  It's nothing but fairytale pulp.  

They were never intended to be high cinema.  It's an imaginative film series from the mind of George Lucas, not Truffaut, Godard, Fellini, Coppola, Scorsese, Malick, or even Tarantino.  There's a lot to like on the surface but really not much going on underneath.  I get that they mean a lot to people but I have to roll my eyes when fans try to find depth and meaning in the series.  

"Do or do not, there is no try."  What the fuck is that?  There's more insight in a Chinese fortune cookie than the supposed philosophy that serves as the foundation of these films.

But just because they may not be high art doesn't make them bad or are not endearing films.  I get very excited for these films not because I expect to expand my mind on the human condition.  I want to be thrilled with riveting story, great characters who have chemistry, and spectacular visuals and sound.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

A bunch of haters seem to be celebrating to fact that it's at 55% on Rotten Tomatoes. Again, all that says to me is that the people who loved TLJ (the critics) hate this, which is fine by me. 

I never understood why anyone would champion the failure of anything (well, with exception of Nazis and cancer), let alone a film.

How little do you have in your life that you actively cheer for a movie about space adventures to fail? 

And yeah, The Last Jedi got a score of 91 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.  

I think people expect way too much from these films.  I get that it serves, for reasons I've never understood, as our own mythology or religion, but still.  It's all so strange.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, downzy said:

I never understood why anyone would champion the failure of anything (well, with exception of Nazis and cancer), let alone a film.

How little do you have in your life that you actively cheer for a movie about space adventures to fail? 

And yeah, The Last Jedi got a score of 91 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.  

I think people expect way too much from these films.  I get that it serves, for reasons I've never understood, as our own mythology or religion, but still.  It's all so strange.  

Godzilla: King of the Monsters got panned on Rotten Tomatoes and was pretty much what every fan was looking for - the social role of film critics isn't totally without merit but ultimately it is just a bunch of people with subjective opinions and a piece of art won't always live or die by their consensus. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Critic consensus on RT: “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker suffers from a frustrating lack of imagination, but concludes this beloved saga with fan-focused devotion.”

They must have been smoking the same shit as the writers of that desaster.

2 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

I feel him. One big WTF moment that completly shits on the established lore, filled with plot holes you could drive a truck through. Visually great, but storywise just bad.

Tbh I was expecting this as they are just doing what fans wanted and pleasing nobody at the same time. 

54 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Tbh I was expecting this as they are just doing what fans wanted and pleasing nobody at the same time. 

As the famous saying goes: “when you try to please everybody, you just end up pleasing nobody.”

That being said, I’m still looking forward to seeing the movie tonight. :)

• Like 1

My friend tells me that this film is similar to the way The Dark Knight Rises felt like a direct sequel to Batman Begins - while dancing around the middle chapter. I didn't like Dark Knight Rises.

I really did admire Last Jedi. I never fell into the vitriolic void that wanted to tear the movie from limb to limb because it was a "betrayal." (Star Wars aint my favorite sci-fi franchise - I'm a Terminator nerd and I've acted appropriately towards those turkeys, though..)

I just think Rian Johnson is head and shoulders above almost all young filmmakers - certainly those who work in genre films. There were lots of things in Last Jedi that I wouldn't have done if I was holding the pen or the camera. What I truly, truly appreciate about the film is the fact that those subversive moves work for me and the drama of Last Jedi - is the purest and best since ROTJ. The moments that are supposed to mean something, really work for me.

It just never bothered me who was ramming a spaceship into a star destroyer. Whether that character was a SJW construct, whether she should have had purple hair, whether she should have been Admiral Ackbar, whether the logic of all ships having deflector shields that would theoretically prevent such things....the fucking drama of that moment when the sound dropped out in the theater and everyone gasped at the devastation of the heroics...that's the mark of an effective filmmaker. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

As the famous saying goes: “when you try to please everybody, you just end up pleasing nobody.”

That's where I'm at with it. Like I've said previously, it seems like the lines were drawn on this long ago: the people who wanted to hate it are hating it. The people that want to love it, are loving it. 

I'm in the middle. Sure, I want to like it but I wanted to like TLJ too and just couldn't. I'll know exactly where I stand by this time tomorrow though :)

14 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That's where I'm at with it. Like I've said previously, it seems like the lines were drawn on this long ago: the people who wanted to hate it are hating it. The people that want to love it, are loving it. 

I'm in the middle. Sure, I want to like it but I wanted to like TLJ too and just couldn't. I'll know exactly where I stand by this time tomorrow though :)

I wanted to love it, but I hate it.

I like Ep. 8 for the most part, except for what they did with Luke (and Leia), which is a big WTF and not consistent with anything that came before.

1 hour ago, Jw224 said:

I'm not sure fans really wanted this. I certainly didn't.

24 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

I'm a Terminator nerd and I've acted appropriately towards those turkeys, though..)

LOL the suffering knows no end.

7 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

I like Ep. 8 for the most part, except for what they did with Luke (and Leia), which is a big WTF and not consistent with anything that came before.

Sorry, I should've clarified: I was talking about the critics.

I'm sure plenty of long time fans are going to hate it. I detailed the many reasons I disliked TLJ and what I'm hoping for with RoS earlier in the thread. I'm no cinephile or movie expert, so I'm going in hoping to be entertained and that's it. 

44 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing it also but I feel like I won't be able to shake the feeling of this being the last film of the saga and it being a wasted opportunity. Especially after TLJ which tried to tell a compelling story. More "this is star wars!!!" isn't something they can keep doing forever, and the fact they are doing it with the conclusion of the saga makes me feel a bit meh about the whole thing. I am going to see it as soon as possible so I can discuss it with you guys. Probably tomorrow or Saturday 🙂

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

My friend tells me that this film is similar to the way The Dark Knight Rises felt like a direct sequel to Batman Begins - while dancing around the middle chapter. I didn't like Dark Knight Rises.

I really did admire Last Jedi. I never fell into the vitriolic void that wanted to tear the movie from limb to limb because it was a "betrayal." (Star Wars aint my favorite sci-fi franchise - I'm a Terminator nerd and I've acted appropriately towards those turkeys, though..)

I just think Rian Johnson is head and shoulders above almost all young filmmakers - certainly those who work in genre films. There were lots of things in Last Jedi that I wouldn't have done if I was holding the pen or the camera. What I truly, truly appreciate about the film is the fact that those subversive moves work for me and the drama of Last Jedi - is the purest and best since ROTJ. The moments that are supposed to mean something, really work for me.

It just never bothered me who was ramming a spaceship into a star destroyer. Whether that character was a SJW construct, whether she should have had purple hair, whether she should have been Admiral Ackbar, whether the logic of all ships having deflector shields that would theoretically prevent such things....the fucking drama of that moment when the sound dropped out in the theater and everyone gasped at the devastation of the heroics...that's the mark of an effective filmmaker. 

Definitely agree, I left TLJ feeling like I had experienced something compelling tbh. Luke's arc was a great highlight for me, him learning that failure is to be learned from and not hidden away from, and helping his friends with his last great act. 

Just seen it.

Meh. Not really that good. At least with The Last Jedi, I had critisms of certain plot points and sequences. With this I just didn't think there was much there. 

Lots of quick scenes with set pieces thrown in. Not really paced like a Star Wars film. As for the plot, they just recyle as much as they can from previous films. It feels like they had no clue where they'd go after Force Awakens.  

Just flat. However certain parts of it felt a little Season 8 Game of Thrones. Game of Thrones at least had spectacle, even if lots of it made no sense. This doesn't really have much to look at. I was actually checking my phone clock during the final act, because it was just going through the motions.

The Rey parentage reveal was just lazy. I doubt they even thought about using the Emperor again during Episode 7.

Also speaking of season 8 Game of Thrones, why does everyone have plot armour? No sense of threat from start to end.

24 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

I'm not sure fans really wanted this. I certainly didn't.

LOL the suffering knows no end.

I dunno, I feel like fans don't know what they are wanting. Fans reacted negatively to TLJ because it did things they weren't expecting, and are trying to blame Rian when all he did was follow the plot points JJ had already set up and try to be creative with them. There are parts of TLJ that I would have probably done differently, but Rian didn't really have much say in a lot of stuff that was already set up by JJ. (Luke being exiled being the main thing, he wasn't going to abandon his friends and run away to an island and then suddenly want to return and fight in the next film, that would make no sense). The crew and a lot of fans are throwing Rian under the bus recently for no reason and it's sad to see. I have also seen that fans who think this film is bad are trying to blame Rian for it as well, somehow. The plot points for this film are questionable, and I don't think a lot of fans are into it, but the way the film has been made is down to how fans reacted to TLJ, IMO. 

Edited by Jw224