Biggest waste of a Slash song? (For those of us who don't like Myles, ect)

ShadowOfTheWave

For those of you who agree that the songwriters Slash plays with usually aren't up to par, which is your greatest missed opportunity? I think Be The Ball has an excellent Slash riff, very dark, but ruined by Eric's lyrics/chorus melodies. Similarly, The Great Pretender has a really melancholy, bluesy feel , ruined by the boring, generic stuff laid on it.

• Like 1

I absolutely love the song, but Avalon with Axl would be something I'd love to hear still. Same goes for World on fire, you're a lie etc. Great songs! I just hope that Slash is let off the leash and gets to make one or two of those burners for whatever new music they possibly might someday release.

I think Myles would be able to connect more consistently with Slash if Slash ditched his typical blues progressions.

Slash writes a mean riff, but the verses usually consist of your typical blues rock progressions.

I will say sometimes it works

I love The Great Pretender. It's one of my favourite Slash N Myles songs. 

Be The Ball aren't exactly epic lyrics but it's a fun tune. 

At the end of the day Slash either records music with whichever singer he gels with or waits around for Axl and never records new music. Ever! 

• Like 1

Anything with Myles, seriously. I've heard most of Slash's solo stuff (perhaps except for the last record), and he's awesome, but I still consider the first Snakepit album to be the best one, partially because of the guitar/vocals combo. Myles's voice just ruins it for me, and I've never given those records a second listen. 

• Like 1

I think almost all of his songs could be better with the input of Izzy and Axl. To me that's the main trio. If one of them is missing the music suffers.  

Having said that, Withered Delilah was a big disappointment after hearing the riff first without any vocals. Serve You Right is another one, thanks to its shitty vocal melody during the chorus.

• Like 1

I always really liked Myles but their partnership got stale for me with the Living the Dream cycle. Myles' choruses started to irritate me like Serves You Right, Driving Rain, etc. They are all the anthemic, plain, major keyed kinda thing. Its not all Myles' fault, Slash's songwriting isnt always the most dynamic. Most of his songs are verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus. Its a tried and true structure, but it is almost every single Slash song.

Myles Is also pretty safe and generic with Slash. It was really exciting to me from like 2010-2015 because Slash wasnt back in Guns and the Conspirators are a fun band that put out consistant music. Now that they are 3 albums in, it feels like there is no where else to go musically. 

I think its a mix of wanting Axl and Slash on new music together, and the Conspirators not being a vessel that really challenges Slash. 

Edit- I also think Apocalyptic Love and World on Fire just had better songs than Living the Dream too

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ratbrain said:

Axl doesn't sound that great on Slither.

There's literally a half-second from his Gothenburg 2018 performance which is a total pricktease of how awesome he could potentially sound by going raspy on the chorus, which is incredibly frustrating.

On 1/28/2020 at 3:36 PM, ZoSoRose said:

I always really liked Myles but their partnership got stale for me with the Living the Dream cycle. Myles' choruses started to irritate me like Serves You Right, Driving Rain, etc. They are all the anthemic, plain, major keyed kinda thing. Its not all Myles' fault, Slash's songwriting isnt always the most dynamic. Most of his songs are verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus. Its a tried and true structure, but it is almost every single Slash song.

Myles Is also pretty safe and generic with Slash. It was really exciting to me from like 2010-2015 because Slash wasnt back in Guns and the Conspirators are a fun band that put out consistant music. Now that they are 3 albums in, it feels like there is no where else to go musically. 

I think its a mix of wanting Axl and Slash on new music together, and the Conspirators not being a vessel that really challenges Slash. 

Edit- I also think Apocalyptic Love and World on Fire just had better songs than Living the Dream too

I think the next record will have better songs and be better received.

• 2 weeks later...