2016 Tour Opener in Detroit - Pro Shot Clips Provided By Live Nation

2 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

Don't forget U2.com. as shitty as nightrain

I've never looked into their online presence, but at least they've put out a lot of new music for their fans and done actual "all new shows". Neither of which is something that GN'R can say. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

I'm not really into Metallica but that sounds really good. Definitely getting your money's worth.

So unfortunate, it has really tarnished my view of the band recently.

MetallicA are my other band. Guns was my  first but got into MetallicA when Load came out - I’d say they are both at the top of the tree now for me. MetallicA obviously have the more varied catalogue stylistically.

Its funny, even though Load was the album that came out at the time I got into them, it was a much maligned release (I liked it regardless). Time has been kind to it - it’s one of their releases that is actually ageless in that stylistically/sonically it wouldn’t sound out of place today. The 80’s/Black release do sound ‘of their time’. I’d totally recommend it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

MetallicA are my other band. Guns was my  first but got into MetallicA when Load came out - I’d say they are both at the top of the tree now for me. MetallicA obviously have the more varied catalogue stylistically.

Its funny, even though Load was the album that came out at the time I got into them, it was a much maligned release (I liked it regardless). Time has been kind to it - it’s one of their releases that is actually ageless in that stylistically/sonically it wouldn’t sound out of place today. The 80’s/Black release do sound ‘of their time’. I’d totally recommend it.

Sounds like we are pretty much the same, but flipped flopped.  Metallica came 1st for me because I found out about them listening to an alt college radio station before I knew of Guns.  Like a lot of others though once I heard Appetite all bets were off. 

You can imagine how out of my mind I was when the big tour with two of them was announced.  Then I found out later down the road that my other band, The Black Crowes, were considered (maybe even asked?) to join. I was still disappointed that did not happen even years later after learning of this.  HA!

6 hours ago, MildlyArtistic said:

Metallica care about their fanbase far more than GNR ever has. Doing things like uploading ProShot clips from every show, making soundboard audio available for purchase after every show, having fan meet & greets backstage (and having fans standing onstage at every show until a few years ago), and now live-streaming archived ProShots to help fans cope during the COVID-19 crisis.

Whereas GNR, on the other hand, treat their fanbase with nothing but contempt. The manager of the band gets in petty arguments with fans online fucking constantly and treats the band as little more than a merchandising vehicle.

It also helps that Metallica sounds really good at their shows. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sc_gunner said:

Sounds like we are pretty much the same, but flipped flopped.  Metallica came 1st for me because I found out about them listening to an alt college radio station before I knew of Guns.  Like a lot of others though once I heard Appetite all bets were off. 

You can imagine how out of my mind I was when the big tour with two of them was announced.  Then I found out later down the road that my other band, The Black Crowes, were considered (maybe even asked?) to join. I was still disappointed that did not happen even years later after learning of this.  HA!

I was too young to see the two of them together unfortunately. Although if I did, then having Faith No More on the bill was cool for me. Oh how I wish I had seen one of those gigs.

Its actually unreal when you think about it that two bands of that size did a tour like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I was too young to see the two of them together unfortunately. Although if I did, then having Faith No More on the bill was cool for me. Oh how I wish I had seen one of those gigs.

Its actually unreal when you think about it that two bands of that size did a tour like that.

Yeah at the time I was psyched about Faith No More too (had no idea then that The Black Crowes were even a consideration) , but with Guns and Metallica on the bill that was all I needed.  I got into Faith the 1st album Patton joined as the singer.  So yeah I was ecstatic over all of it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree, just look at SMKC for an example.

Its interesting how slash encourages fan videos and does fan questions and SMKC have a big instagram and twitter presence. Which im afraid the reason why gnr dont do this is down to axl. Its either TB or axl would have to be the common denominator.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Its interesting how slash encourages fan videos and does fan questions and SMKC have a big instagram and twitter presence. Which im afraid the reason why gnr dont do this is down to axl. Its either TB or axl would have to be the common denominator.

I think it's Axl and TB behaves the way they do because of him (and because they just don't understand how to properly manage a band).

8 hours ago, TOS--LOA said:

It also helps that Metallica sounds really good at their shows. 

I disagree, James’ voice is blown and not like the Hetfield of old. Same with Axl. Doesn’t really worry me and I had tickets to see Metallica here in Australia last year before they cancelled. I was still excited, even though they aren’t as good as they were, James’ voice, Lars struggles on the drum kit, but it’s more about the overall experience and seeing music legends live in the flesh, one more time. Same as Axl & Slash. Very happy to see them live when I get the chance because they are coming to the very end of their careers.

1 hour ago, DownUnderScott said:

I disagree, James’ voice is blown and not like the Hetfield of old. Same with Axl. Doesn’t really worry me and I had tickets to see Metallica here in Australia last year before they cancelled. I was still excited, even though they aren’t as good as they were, James’ voice, Lars struggles on the drum kit, but it’s more about the overall experience and seeing music legends live in the flesh, one more time. Same as Axl & Slash. Very happy to see them live when I get the chance because they are coming to the very end of their careers.

I mostly agree although I think Hetfield is arguably better now than he has been for the majority of the 2000’s. I mean, not 80’s-93 level but fairly strong. Whether that’s a byproduct of falling off the wagon is a curious question (ie - was he ignoring voice preservation techniques and just letting rip)?

Lars is Lars - yes he has simplified which does detract a bit.

As you say, depressing these guys are all towards the end of the careers although I’d think we will still get material from MetallicA for a while yet. GNR........?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Metallica without newstead just doesnt interest me. Rob with his basketball singlets, the stupid crab walk , and he never does the bass intro all that well to "my friend of misery". Metallica feels like lars,kirk,james plus one.

Agree it kinda feels like they are nearing the end of their careers. Havnt seen them since the black tour in Brissie in 93. I was going into year12 that year.....93 was a good year, saw gnr , metallica and faith no more in the first 6 months of  93! 

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I mostly agree although I think Hetfield is arguably better now than he has been for the majority of the 2000’s. I mean, not 80’s-93 level but fairly strong. Whether that’s a byproduct of falling off the wagon is a curious question (ie - was he ignoring voice preservation techniques and just letting rip)?

Lars is Lars - yes he has simplified which does detract a bit.

As you say, depressing these guys are all towards the end of the careers although I’d think we will still get material from MetallicA for a while yet. GNR........?

Well axls pushing close to 60, so depends how long he wants to keep GNR going for. I would say he would like to do something with angus young, or acdc related before axl hangs it up.

His voice isnt getting any better.

2 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Well axls pushing close to 60, so depends how long he wants to keep GNR going for. I would say he would like to do something with angus young, or acdc related before axl hangs it up.

His voice isnt getting any better.

I guess it boils down to what kind of music they want to create. Something more akin to Lies would probably be just fine for vocals. I’ve said before - a ‘Led Zep III’ type release with a mix of rock/acoustic tracks would be ideal - opportunities to really use the stronger aspects of his current voice.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I guess it boils down to what kind of music they want to create. Something more akin to Lies would probably be just fine for vocals. I’ve said before - a ‘Led Zep III’ type release with a mix of rock/acoustic tracks would be ideal - opportunities to really use the stronger aspects of his current voice.

Yep and i think more of his lower register as thats where it seems more powerful now. Especially on songs like black leather, bad obsession. Similar to elvis, in his later years. The high, helium mickey sound has to go.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yep and i think more of his lower register as thats where it seems more powerful now. Especially on songs like black leather, bad obsession. The high, helium mickey sound has to go.

Agreed. And across the catalogue, it’s not like he hasn’t used that voice before so it’s not a complete change. Maybe if he sang a large portion of the set in a more comfortable range he could push the ‘hits’ a bit more. Which is why I wish they would release new material in his natural register!!

2 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Agreed. And across the catalogue, it’s not like he hasn’t used that voice before so it’s not a complete change. Maybe if he sang a large portion of the set in a more comfortable range he could push the ‘hits’ a bit more. Which is why I wish they would release new material in his natural register!!

Agree to, but his high register for songs like better, TIL and coma need to go. 

Just now, Sydney Fan said:

Agree to, but his high register for songs like better, TIL and coma need to go. 

Better need removed immediately TBH! It’s awful these days. I’m gonna think what an ‘ideal’ set would be based on current vocal abilities - would make for a good thread methinks.👍

• Like 1

Slash has another active 15 years at least and maybe then he might slow down a little. His last album was called living the dream and I think he genuinely just loves playing guitar, talking music, touring, recording, been super productive. 

Axl on the other hand seems to hate the majority of it. The whole thing tortured him. Probably only doing it for money at this point. 

• Like 2

On 01/04/2020 at 12:09 AM, GNRfanJen said:

I've mentioned it before, but it's big thanks to people like Frans, Gibbo, and the many others, and their vault of bootlegs that they graciously posted on their YouTube accounts, that was a huge part in making me such a massive, crazy, obsessed, passionate, diehard (the list goes on, lol) GN'R fan. My favorite band ever (yes, even still in 2020). I know I'm not the only one. I'm a bit on the younger side of the fanbase; I wasn't even alive to experience their prime, and it's not like I had access to tapes to learn about GN'R. A large part of it came from the community who shared what they had on a social medium (e.g. YouTube). I poured over that mass of material that was on YouTube like nobody's business. That was apart of my GN'R curriculum. Don't get me wrong, there's still a decent amount of footage on there, but as we all know, nowhere like it used to be. Just saddens me because as @vloorsmentioned, if they want to accrue new fans, this isn't the way to do it. I know someone posted another link to this footage, I hope that doesn't get taken down. 

Edit: Didn't mean to go on a tangent, haha. Just upsetting. 

My experience exactly, Youtube led me to finding this amazing group but since most of the cllps that I enjoyed have disappeared, I dont get it as it was widening their fan base and keeping them relevant, crazy.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yep and i think more of his lower register as thats where it seems more powerful now. Especially on songs like black leather, bad obsession. Similar to elvis, in his later years. The high, helium mickey sound has to go.

I wouldn't have a problem with shaving 30-45 minutes off the set if it helped Axl sing better. The show doesn't need to be 3+ hours. 2.15 to 2.30 would be fine. 

Aerosmith only play around 1.30. 

• Like 1