Has anyone ever wondered how fantastic 1989 Axl Rose would sound in ACDC?

Loccy

I love his whole lotta rosie 1986 version, so powerful. 

To think that we have listened to so many versions of this song 😂

1. Original Bon version

2. Live Bon version.

3. Live Brian version

4. Axl's 1986 version

5. Axl's 2010 raspy version

6. Axl/DC version

Is there anything else?

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 7:53 PM, Loccy said:

I believe Axl would sound at least 18 times better than Bon and Brian

Oh fuck no one could touch Axl back then!

The thought has crossed my mind many times, but Axl was in a different headspace at that time. Axl only cared about Guns during his prime. And all his energy went into Guns. The AcDc thing mostly occurred because Guns is just a touring band. 

IMO Brian’s performance on the Back in Black album was in a league of its own, not even prime Axl could match the pure energy and menace in that man’s voice. I mean listen to the notes he hits on songs like shoot to thrill and shake a leg. Just otherworldly 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Willis1988 said:

IMO Brian’s performance on the Back in Black album was in a league of its own, not even prime Axl could match the pure energy and menace in that man’s voice. I mean listen to the notes he hits on songs like shoot to thrill and shake a leg. Just otherworldly 

Dont know, im not an axl fanboi but After watching saskatoon 93, theres more rasp and power in axls voice than in brians voice. Interested to know the age of both them, axl in 93 and brian 1980.

4 hours ago, Willis1988 said:

Back In Black is one of the finest vocal performances ever recorded. Jonner's chanting throughout is 10/10 and he was very much on top of his game from 1980-83.

In my opinion though, ginger bollocks is superior. I'd see Axl as the greatest of all time if it weren't for the lack of music he has released.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Dont know, im not an axl fanboi but After watching saskatoon 93, theres more rasp and power in axls voice than in brians voice. Interested to know the age of both them, axl in 93 and brian 1980.

Brian was 33 and had been releasing music since the early 70’s when he joined AC/DC, Axl was 31 in 93.

Depending on my mood, Axl voice in the 90’s is either really grating or badass, I go back and forth

• Like 1

I think Brian just has (had) a lot more depth to his voice. Axl's is more of that banshee, nasally wail whereas Brian's is like a guttural roar. One isn't necessarily better than the other, but just different. Brian's album take of Hells Bells is probably my favourite rock and roll vocal ever recorded.

• Like 1

People like to dump on Brian, but the guy sang his ass off for 35yrs with ACDC, and he sang so.e of their most memorable songs too and he deserves credit for those melodies!

ACDC did him a disservice when they continued the rock or bust tour. It was great and I loved hearing Axl with them, but I don't think it was respectful towards Brian or what he wanted them to do. Minimum Axl should have been asked by the band to give Brian a shout out at each show... but it was business as usual. 

As far as Axl vs the ACDC singers, personally I love Axls voice on almost anything so there's a bias there! But you can't beat peak Brian on thos old songs and Bonn Scott was a force. When they sang their songs nobody, and I mean nobody could touch then! Even if Axl sang them incredible. 

Sometimes a cover is better than.the original but in this case Axl was not in their trying to put his stamp on the songs, he was paying tribute. Great job, but he us 3rd place for ACDC vocalists.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 4

On 2020-04-15 at 1:47 PM, Dazey said:

Axl absolutely killed it with AC/DC in 2016. He was so good in fact that it's really annoying how he couldn't bring the same level of performance with GnR.

Maybe we should get Angus to manage GNR. Axl seems to work better with him as his boss. If Fernando gets out of line, Angus can just flick him on the nose.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2020 at 2:21 PM, Zinia_29 said:

I love his whole lotta rosie 1986 version, so powerful. 

To think that we have listened to so many versions of this song 😂

1. Original Bon version

2. Live Bon version.

3. Live Brian version

4. Axl's 1986 version

5. Axl's 2010 raspy version

6. Axl/DC version

Is there anything else?

I guess you might be wrong concerning this wholla lotta rosie '86 version,first time GNR cover this in a live concert was in june 87 at the Marquee London,you know when Alan Niven brought them to old bloody England for the first time,later that year they travel to Dusseldorf,Amsterdam...

• Like 1

I really wonder if 80's Axl could hit the notes on songs like Shoot To Thrill. 

I agree he'd have absolutely dominated the Bon material, but the way he sang back in the 80's was a lot more taxing than the raspy falsetto of today up the higher end.

I don't think he could have done Hells Bells, Shoot To Thrill, Thunderstruck, For Those About To Rock, etc with his old style of singing. Despite what it sounds like, Brian himself recorded those tracks with a similar shrieking falsetto to what Axl uses today. I've always believed that's why he was so good at the Brian stuff from day 1 with AC/DC. 

I think the performance of Rosie from Hammersmith Odeon 1987 was Guns' best one. 

Late 1987 Axl could have sounded very, very good for a lot of AC/DC stuff. The same goes for summer of 1988 Axl, and 1991 Axl. Don't think he could have replaced Brian; would've fucked his throat even faster and worse than he already did. 

Edited by Waemoth
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I think Axl is the only singer who has sung ACDC better than bon and brian and Rollin Stones better than mick

Gnr did the same to ACDC and the Stones

No one else in the Planet has ever done that

• Like 1