Chinese Democracy Vinyl

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Oh cool, that very well might help. Thanks! 

Like I said earlier, it really bums me out that Chinese is the one record I have that sounds like shit. I'd love for a European pressing to be the answer. 

It’s pretty easy to get on Discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1913716?ev=rb

From the Discogs comments section:

11. Mai 2015

This EU pressing is significantly better than the US one. The US is severely noisy, the EU is as silent as a CD.
Edited by zigzagbigbag
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

It’s pretty easy to get on Discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1913716?ev=rb

From the Discogs comments section:

11. Mai 2015

This EU pressing is significantly better than the US one. The US is severely noisy, the EU is as silent as a CD.

Yeah, I've seen the Discogs listing for it before. The big problem is the sellers I've contacted can never confirm if they're sure the one they're selling is a European pressing. However, the tip that I got earlier today about the FBI logo missing makes total sense. I'm going to message a few sellers and see if I can track a genuine European pressing down. 

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yeah, I've seen the Discogs listing for it before. The big problem is the sellers I've contacted can never confirm if they're sure the one they're selling is a European pressing. However, the tip that I got earlier today about the FBI logo missing makes total sense. I'm going to message a few sellers and see if I can track a genuine European pressing down. 

eBay might be your friend too, as you’ll have photos etc. 👍🏻

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Just in case you haven’t seen the additional aspects by which you can identify the European pressing;

The back cover of the European release does not feature the FBI logo and copyright warning (notable on the US version)

Barcode und andere Identifikationsmerkmale

• Barcode: 6 02517 90613 6
  • Matrix / Runout (Side A): 83014 1A 1790613
  • Matrix / Runout (Side B): 83014 1B 1790613
  • Matrix / Runout (Side C): 83014 1C 1790613
  • Matrix / Runout (Side D): 83014 1D 1790613
  • Label Code: LC07266
  • Rights Society: BIEM/SABRAM
  • Other (cat# on Sides A & B): 0602517919310
  • Other (cat# on Sides C & D): 0602517906150

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Listening to it rn its interesting especilally with headphones. Street Of Dreams sounds so fucking good @Fernando put it in the fucking set.

Thoughts?

I did buy the vinyl, but don't have a record player to listen to it on. I love Street of Dreams. It was the first song I totally loved when I first listened to CD. Always loved Madgascar too.

Have to get a record player one of these days. I bet it does sound amazing.

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Check this video out. Not my YouTube channel, but my set up is featured at the 2:26 mark :)

Damn man you were on 33rpm thats sick man. Beautiful set up though and great music taste (Pink Floyd etc!)

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

If an LP is skipping, that's going to be because it has a scratch, has collected surface dirt, and/or your stylus or tonearm need adjusting, not because of an error in the original pressing

People with skipping issues could be getting skips from any number of things, including scratches on the LP. The inner groove distortion, which is the much bigger problem with the US pressings, is caused by the actual mastering and pressing process. 

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

People with skipping issues could be getting skips from any number of things, including scratches on the LP. The inner groove distortion, which is the much bigger problem with the US pressings, is caused by the actual mastering and pressing process. 

Huge problem can be with large amounts of bass/sub bass. Daft Punk has problems with skipping on certain tracks; the deep curve for the bass notes and cause the needle to jump

8 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Huge problem can be with large amounts of bass/sub bass. Daft Punk has problems with skipping on certain tracks; the deep curve for the bass notes and cause the needle to jump

Hmm, I've never heard about anything like that. Then again the only DP records are I have Random Access Memories and the Tron Legacy Soundtracks. Adding to that, there's a whole world of issues that I probably don't know of lol 

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Check this video out. Not my YouTube channel, but my set up is featured at the 2:26 mark :)

Quality set up you've got there dude 👏🏼

Will have to play my CD vinyl tomorrow, don't remember having issues but not listened to it for a long time. Guess it must be a European press, living in the UK.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

10 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Hmm, I've never heard about anything like that. Then again the only DP records are I have Random Access Memories and the Tron Legacy Soundtracks. Adding to that, there's a whole world of issues that I probably don't know of lol 

Chris Pitman and his sub-bass strike again!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bucketbot25 said:

Mine skipped from the getgo. Maybe it has some paper or micro debris but it seems that it still messed up after cleaning it. Maybe I didn't clean well enough.

There's a million problems with the US pressings. Very well could be debris, but there's a ton of other problems too. 

3 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I take it there were no vinyl versions of the alternative covers ever printed? Even just testing ones or something?

I know there were for CD’s but never read about vinyl.

Funny you should mention that. There's only the bike cover in every country, but all 3 covers were originally planned for vinyl. I had all 3 on pre-order at one time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

There's a million problems with the US pressings. Very well could be debris, but there's a ton of other problems too. 

Funny you should mention that. There's only the bike cover in every country, but all 3 covers were originally planned for vinyl. I had all 3 on pre-order at one time. 

I suppose @troccoli would most likely know. It’s just a cover I know - but it’s crap, really crap. Just another slap for CD - I totally get why Axl would be pissed at that decision being taken from him.

Regarding the EU pressings, I’ve been looking and anywhere that says it’s a EU pressing has the FBI logo or is usually being posted from US......I have found one picture from a Japanese site without the FBI warning.

It will take time I reckon to get an EU one via Amazon/eBay - once the lockdown is eased I will be checking out my locals to see what they have too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GnR* said:

Good choice for vinyl, cds are clean, maybe too much "clean" sometimes. Dirty sound from vinyls sound very real, like GNR band. :headbang:

LOL, no. There's a difference between the imperfect sound of vinyl and manufacturing defects / lack of care found on the Chinese Democracy pressings