Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

On 30/08/2018 at 3:25 AM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I've read all the Connelly Bosch books. Love them. Well, not sure about what Harry looks like, but he's in his 50's but still well built and described as being handsome. I never really picture characters much. I don't have time since I read tons of books every week.

If you start reading the Bosch books from the start, I think you will enjoy them very much and it'll give you more insight to Harry and his life before he was a cop.

Harry is related to the Lincoln Lawyer too. Another Connelly series. They both share the same dad.

There are some books that have both characters in them.

Harry has crossed the line sometimes, but hey he gets the job done. The Lincoln Lawyer is crafty too. I love both these characters. They play off each other well too.

I think I read the first book they joined forces. 

Wambaugh sort of took over from Connelly because it seems so much more realistic, with the plots less formulaic. Wambaugh is like that tv show Southland. 

On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎29 at 3:25 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I've read all the Connelly Bosch books. Love them. Well, not sure about what Harry looks like, but he's in his 50's but still well built and described as being handsome. I never really picture characters much. I don't have time since I read tons of books every week.

If you start reading the Bosch books from the start, I think you will enjoy them very much and it'll give you more insight to Harry and his life before he was a cop.

Harry is related to the Lincoln Lawyer too. Another Connelly series. They both share the same dad.

There are some books that have both characters in them.

Harry has crossed the line sometimes, but hey he gets the job done. The Lincoln Lawyer is crafty too. I love both these characters. They play off each other well too.

Oops, I've gotten my Connelly's mixed up! I've read a couple of Harry Bosch ones (is he the one who makes sandwiches that sound so good and eats them standing over the sink?) but I was thinking of John Connolly and the Charlie Parker series..that's the one with the supernatural elements.

On 8/24/2018 at 5:07 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

"The Taking" by Dean Koontz

I know I've read this before, but I can't remember it at all. So I'm reading it again. So far so good. It's from 2004.

That’s the one it feels like an alien invasion? Starts out during a storm? Yeah that was pretty good. I read that and The Face back to back recently. The Face is really good, it’s from around the same time as Taking.

19 hours ago, J Dog said:

That’s the one it feels like an alien invasion? Starts out during a storm? Yeah that was pretty good. I read that and The Face back to back recently. The Face is really good, it’s from around the same time as Taking.

Yeah, but it wasn't an alien invasion. I have read all of Dean's books. In his early years, he would have dogs with special powers in his books and some had religious overtones to them. This book was one of those just like that. Anyway, I didn't remember this book at all, but I did enjoy reading it. I read it in two days because I felt like I was running with these people.

God I know I read the Face, but for the life of me I can't remember that storyline either. lol

I read so many books sometimes I forget the storylines. I have kept all the books I read from my favorite authors, so I'm sure I have The Face. I should find it and maybe re-read it.

On 05/08/2018 at 12:22 AM, Whiskey Rose said:

Billy Idol autobiography :lol:

But I didn't know he started out in a punk band! A legit punk band, back when it all started.

You never heard of Generation X?  Thats where I first heard of Billy Idol, he's actually from not far from here, a place called Stanmore.  But yeah, they had some quality stuff.  Dancing With Myself for example was originally a Gen X song.  Check em out:

They were sort of the commercial punk band.  His whole schtick was like...just clever marketing, American record producers realizing he had all the Sid Vicious image without the danger.  Its all there, the spiky hair, the elvis lip curl, the leather jackets, he was a sort of marketable  Sid caricature.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

You never heard of Generation X? 

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

They were sort of the commercial punk band.  His whole schtick was like...just clever marketing, American record producers realizing he had all the Sid Vicious image without the danger.  Its all there, the spiky hair, the elvis lip curl, the leather jackets,

No, I had never heard of them! And you know, yeah, he was quite kind of honest about the commercial marketability in his book...he hung around with the sex pistols and siouxie and the bandshees and whatnot, but he really did want to be famous and be a mainstream success especially in America... and about the Elvis lip curl...I don't think it's contrived I really don't ..even though yes he was a fan of Elvis I think this is all natural :lol:

Thanks for posting those, I'm actually seeing him in September with @Fitha_whiskey, and while I am reliving my 80's chick fandom :lol: this will make me appreciate him even more.

51 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

No, I had never heard of them! And you know, yeah, he was quite kind of honest about the commercial marketability in his book...he hung around with the sex pistols and siouxie and the bandshees and whatnot, but he really did want to be famous and be a mainstream success especially in America... and about the Elvis lip curl...I don't think it's contrived I really don't ..even though yes he was a fan of Elvis I think this is all natural :lol:

Thanks for posting those, I'm actually seeing him in September with @Fitha_whiskey, and while I am reliving my 80's chick fandom :lol: this will make me appreciate him even more.

He was part of the Bromley Contingent, the first fans The Pistols ever had, a bunch of freaky looking kids who liked to dress up.  The name Bromley Contingent was kind of a sarcastic name because Bromley is in the suburbs.  In fact, Sid Vicious says he invented the pogo because ‘i hated the Bromley Contingent so I invented a dance that involved being able to knock them all over the fucking 100 Club’ :lol:  A lot of the Bromley Contingent ended up in bands actually, like Siouxsie Sioux etc

On 2017-10-20 at 5:44 AM, Sosso said:

You'll not be disappointed! They are absolutely fascinating and worthy to read. Forget the film.

My favourite book of the series is problably The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three

On 2017-10-19 at 10:27 PM, J Dog said:

I've read almost everything by him except for some of his newer ones. I've always heard stuff about the Dark Tower books but never checked them out. They sound interesting but might be a little too hardcore fantasy for me. Plus there's so freaking many :lol:

J dog, Sosso is right.. you don't be disappointed! IV is my favourite followed by II. I finished January 4th( my sister's birthday). I've read Hearts in Atlantis and his newest since then. I highly recommend The Outsider. Reading Different Seasons now.. finished Shawshank and getting in to Apt Pupil

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I saw the movie. Was it as good as the book?

Loved the twists the movie had and loved the ending.

I did read another book by the same author. It was pretty good too.

I haven't seen the film, but the book is really good yet. 

Edited by Sosso

10 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I saw the movie. Was it as good as the book?

Loved the twists the movie had and loved the ending.

I did read another book by the same author. It was pretty good too.

Do you mean Into the Water? If so, I think The Girl on the Train was better. I haven't seen the film, only read the book.

On 9/18/2018 at 2:11 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The Forbidden Door by Dean Koontz

It's the 4th book in the Jane Hawk series

I'm really enjoying the Jane Hawk series, I'm on the Crooked Staircase. 

He has written a lot of great books, but seemed to write one a month for a while and they just weren't very good imo. But he's back! Although nothing can touch Swan Song, that's my absolute favorite of his.