Official TV Show discussion

SunnyDRE

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GG-Logo-300x182.png

The trials and tribultions of teenagesomething New Yorkers who are just trying to make it larger in the cutthroat era of text messaging.

If you like that show you would like Secret Life of The American Teenager and Pretty Little Liars.

I just discovered Breaking Bad and I've been watching it for about three hours a night. Amazing show. And you learn how to cook crystal and murder someone with ricin.

The more you know!

Me too. I watched the first season in two nights. Can't wait to start season two tomorrow night.

Whew, glad I'm not the only one! That show is more addictive than the blue crystal Heisenberg manufactures! I was going to come on here and admit sheepishly that I got through the first 3 seasons in about 5 or 6 days, but now I don't feel so guilty. Just got Netflix for Christmas, so I'm limited to the first 3 seasons. I knew I should have paced myself, but every episode was a cliff hanger. Now I just gotta see season 4 somehow! Please nobody write any spoilers!

Probably the best TV show I've ever seen. Bryan Cranston is a genius, as is the writer, the guy who plays Pinkman, and the guy who plays Saul Goodman. That show is da bomb!

Saul Goodman is one of the best characters in TV history.

I just discovered Breaking Bad and I've been watching it for about three hours a night. Amazing show. And you learn how to cook crystal and murder someone with ricin.

The more you know!

Me too. I watched the first season in two nights. Can't wait to start season two tomorrow night.

Whew, glad I'm not the only one! That show is more addictive than the blue crystal Heisenberg manufactures! I was going to come on here and admit sheepishly that I got through the first 3 seasons in about 5 or 6 days, but now I don't feel so guilty. Just got Netflix for Christmas, so I'm limited to the first 3 seasons. I knew I should have paced myself, but every episode was a cliff hanger. Now I just gotta see season 4 somehow! Please nobody write any spoilers!

Probably the best TV show I've ever seen. Bryan Cranston is a genius, as is the writer, the guy who plays Pinkman, and the guy who plays Saul Goodman. That show is da bomb!

Yeah, my sister introduced me to the show during the Summer. Bryan Cranston is a fucking great actor, and I never got that impression from him watching Malcolm in the Middle.

One show I JUST started watching just last week was Shameless. Fuckin great show. I caught up with the first season just in time as the new season starts Sunday. Gotta DVR it.

I thought he was great in Malcolm and that he was funnier than the actors in the more popular shows like everybody loves Raymond.

Curb Your Enthusiasm, Deadwood, Arrested Development......I think breaking bad might be up at that level.

any Serenity/Firefly fans?

Popcorn Sci-Fi, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Fans of Lost and Battlestar Galatica would love it.

As they are the three most overrated science fiction shows in ... well, in history. I mean, I liked all of them, but the praise they get (less so with Lost) is ridiculous.

Does anybody know if when a TV series is made in which one episode leads into the next, and you really can't miss an episode or else you miss key plot points (a show like Breaking Bad or in that style), do you know if the writers usually have kind of an outline from the very beginning of the series as to what is going to happen at the end of the series? Or do they just kind of make shit up as they go along? I mean, I know if a series is cancelled short of what they were hoping that they'll try to throw something together to bring about some closure, but do they usually kind of know where they are going with the story? Because when a show in that style is done well, it would be extremely surprising to me to know that the writers are making it up as they go along, and everything still fits in that seamlessly.

Firefly deserves all the praise it gets.

To me it seemed like somebody who's never watch science fiction's idea of what science fiction is.

Does anybody know if when a TV series is made in which one episode leads into the next, and you really can't miss an episode or else you miss key plot points (a show like Breaking Bad or in that style), do you know if the writers usually have kind of an outline from the very beginning of the series as to what is going to happen at the end of the series? Or do they just kind of make shit up as they go along? I mean, I know if a series is cancelled short of what they were hoping that they'll try to throw something together to bring about some closure, but do they usually kind of know where they are going with the story? Because when a show in that style is done well, it would be extremely surprising to me to know that the writers are making it up as they go along, and everything still fits in that seamlessly.

Sometimes, in very rare cases they have a complete outline. They usually write it as it's going, a few episodes in advance. Maybe they might have an outline for the current season. With Lost, Twin Peaks and Battlestar Galactica they were making it up as they went along. With The Wire I think they had an outline for the season they were shooting, I can't remember specifically. That's off the top of my head.

As for cancellation, they usually get an advance warning, something like a few months, so they might be able to put an ending together, which always seems really rushed. Sometimes they just tell them between seasons.

TV Tropes helps with info on this. Start here and follow the links, or just go to individual series' page and read about it there.

Firefly deserves all the praise it gets.

To me it seemed like somebody who's never watch science fiction's idea of what science fiction is.

I dunno I guess I'm just a sucker for that 'space western' style.

I'd say in most cases they have each season outlined and that's it. In the case of Breaking Bad Vince Gilligan has said he still has no idea how the series is going to end.

I downloaded the first season of American Horror Story purely because I was bored and wanted something new to watch. I've only seen the pilot so far, but from what I've seen it's exactly what I thought it would be; Amityville Horror turned into a TV Series. (Sorry if that was what it was supposed to be, I don't have cable so I didn't see any trailers or anything, just sort of heard about the show and downloaded it). It's kinda 'meh', hopefully it gets way better :shrugs:

I downloaded the first season of American Horror Story purely because I was bored and wanted something new to watch. I've only seen the pilot so far, but from what I've seen it's exactly what I thought it would be; Amityville Horror turned into a TV Series. (Sorry if that was what it was supposed to be, I don't have cable so I didn't see any trailers or anything, just sort of heard about the show and downloaded it). It's kinda 'meh', hopefully it gets way better :shrugs:

Wow. So the first episode wasn't anything special, but the rest are fantastic! Glad I didn't abandon this show...

Firefly is absolutely awesome and one of the best shows ever to get cancelled after one season, I sometimes dream of how much better it would of become.....if that was even possible. Californication has just started back up and that is one of my fav shows as well as dexter.