1993: Axl tells the truth about Metallica

D..

Enjoy the show and stop obsessing on the behind the scenes drama.

Drama, where? It´s quite undramatic in GNR-land I´d say, and maybe that´s the problem.

The band is getting ready for another round of OMFG Chinese Democracy & Jungle.

I wouldn´t call that drama. We´ve seen it all since 2001 and know what it looks like and how it sounds.

The drama isn't with the band. It is with you, bobo,Norte , sunny and a couple others.

So when a band comes to your town, you don't want to see the classics? You want GnR to play 14 songs off of CD and then call it a night? When Izzy comes to tour town, y only want to hear the songs off his new album and nothing else? Axl is the only singers alive who isn't allowed to play classic GnR songs. Weird.

You and I are different. And the majority of rock fans are different from you. If I go see GnR or an Axl rose solo tour.....I want to hear scom, November, don't cry, nightrain...along with some new songs.

For me, I just like music and live shows. You seem obsessed with all the other bullshit. To each his own.

:thumbsup:

One point to add without adding to the soap opera is that there was an underlying territorial pissing contest during this tour,with Metallica trying to one-up GNR. They added more and more pyro to their set as the tour rolled on.Personal jealosies and conduct were present. This is when Metallica was Alcoholica so James stepped right into a newly added pyro.Won't venture a guess about his sobriety or lack of.

GNR was not present at the venue when they got Jason's call about the accident.There is a bit more to the situation,Sorum spoke about this in an interview,somewhere. Add in the numerous issues to paint an accurate picture.

All I know is "Some Kind of Monster" is the greatest rock doc of all time.

If Ulrich, Hetfield, Hammett and Mustaine worked on new music, there would be no debate about Metallica delivering the best music of their career. They'd rather work with Lou Reed?

If Ulrich, Hetfield, Hammett and Mustaine worked on new music, there would be no debate about Metallica delivering the best music of their career. They'd rather work with Lou Reed?

Some kind of monster is cringeworthy,its like a metallica reality show .

And I like Metallica,fade 2 black,battery,sanitarium and One are some of my favorite songs.

I do NOT compare bands from different genres. Metallica is thrash metal, GNR is rock. The only thing they have in common is that they both have one of the greatest records in their respective genres. Master Of Puppets and Appetite For Destruction.

I can't into Master of Puppets the album. It has something to do with the recording quality. I prefer the live versions of those songs. ..AND JUSTICE FOR ALL is for me, the greatest Metallica album of all time.

Yeah, it's kinda sad when you think about it. They've released, I think, 10 major albums (not including the symphony bullshit) and only 4 of them (black,load,reload,garage inc.) had great production. Think about how good Lighting,Puppets and Justice would sound with Black's production. That would be incredible.

Edited by Nintari

I do NOT compare bands from different genres. Metallica is thrash metal, GNR is rock. The only thing they have in common is that they both have one of the greatest records in their respective genres. Master Of Puppets and Appetite For Destruction.

I can't into Master of Puppets the album. It has something to do with the recording quality. I prefer the live versions of those songs. ..AND JUSTICE FOR ALL is for me, the greatest Metallica album of all time.

Yeah, it's kinda sad when you think about it. They've released, I think, 10 major albums (not including the symphony bullshit) and only 4 of them (black,load,reload,garage inc.) had great production. Think about how good Lighting,Puppets and Justice would sound with Black's production. That would be incredible.

I don't care what anyone says. I LOVE the production of Justice. It was so cold and vicious....

I also don't mind the production of Death Magnetic. I agree with the others though...

Metallica is more famous now than GNR, but they will never be near as incredible as GNR was back in the day.

neither is currentGNR. Doesn't mean anything. Black album was their big one, and it's pretty near as incredible in any case. Metallica don't sweat GNR.

They were at the bottom of the well in the beggining of the century and now they're uptop on the position of the biggest Heavy Metal band in the world right now. I'm not talking about thrash metal, I'm talking about any metal. They're a bigger touring act than Iron Maiden, for Christ's sake. And that was all with ONE successful album.

Bottom of the well? that's a laugh innit? The went from monstrously hugely successful 1991-1999 to a sliver less monstrously hugely successful for ONE album cycle (...Monster still won film awards, and the St. Anger Tour still played to stadiums) and then back to their familiar hugeness.

I guess you don't or at least didn't follow the Metallica fanbase throughout the hugely successful Load, Reload and St.Anger era. The fans had no more faith left in the band, and fans pretty much like yourself, Star, Sunny, SONOFABITCH said that Metallica was over, they sold out, they were shit then, and that they never expected them to release an album compairable to the classic albums. Well, guess what? Who got the last laugh? The winy negative "hardcore" fans or the open-minded hopeful "Liberal" fans? Now you tell me that negativity hasn't changed with Death Magnetic. You tell me the fans weren't completely disgusted at their attempt to sue Napster, or the release of the documentary that showed the psycology bullcrap? NO SOLOS on St.Anger, bass played by Bob Rock, drums that sound like shit on 8 minute long songs that seem like an eternity. You tell me the fans liked that fucking album. It was much rarer to see a hardcore metallica fan appreciate St.Anger, Load an ReLoad than seeing a hardcore GnR fan appreciate CD. I guess you didn't see fans going to the streets to break their Metallica CDs on the news, did you?

Edited by It Don't Really Matter

LOL. Who said they can't play the classics? It's the HUGE reliance on the classics that's the problem. 15 years as their own band, and they only play 5 of their own songs, and 20 covers live at a show? Kinda pathetic...

They've played more classic songs yes. They are Guns N' Roses after all, it would be disapointing for the audience to not include these songs.

It's not quite as bad as you make it out to be though. I did the calculation, and they've played new songs 968 times, and classic songs 2587 times. That's new songs for 37.5% of the show.

That was a nerd move... :krider:

Bobo.....what say you? Those numbers do not quite add up to your outrageous exaggerated numbers.

Appetite is one the biggest selling rock albums of all time. Why wouldn't they play a lot of it live?

And both shows I went to they played 5-6 new songs, which is about the industry standard for concerts.

Listened to Death Magnetic again today. Great album. I love their new stuff. I love their old stuff. St. Anger is a great album too. I don't care what anyone says. What else came out in 2003? Linken Park? Fuck that, St. Anger all the way. Same for VR in 2005. What else was there for me to listen to?

Edited by BirdCatcher

LOL. Who said they can't play the classics? It's the HUGE reliance on the classics that's the problem. 15 years as their own band, and they only play 5 of their own songs, and 20 covers live at a show? Kinda pathetic...

They've played more classic songs yes. They are Guns N' Roses after all, it would be disapointing for the audience to not include these songs.

It's not quite as bad as you make it out to be though. I did the calculation, and they've played new songs 968 times, and classic songs 2587 times. That's new songs for 37.5% of the show.

Bobo.....what say you? Those numbers do not quite add up to your outrageous exaggerated numbers.

Appetite is one the biggest selling rock albums of all time. Why wouldn't they play a lot of it live?

And both shows I went to they played 5-6 new songs, which is about the industry standard for concerts.

The same thing I've been saying really.They've been a nu band since 1998, really. They play their nu songs for a small portion of a show. How was I "exaggerating"? This bands been a band longer than classic band was. When you rely on the classics to the point where they pretty much make up your whole show, that's purely a nostalgia act. What say you?

It's BoBBo by the way.

Mustaine wants to create a supergroup with Lars, James and David Ellefson. In fact it's a great idea.

"Some Kind of Monster" is great,fuckin good movie.

I have in dvd and it's really cool.

I guess you don't or at least didn't follow the Metallica fanbase throughout the hugely successful Load, Reload and St.Anger era. The fans had no more faith left in the band, and fans pretty much like yourself, Star, Sunny, SONOFABITCH said that Metallica was over, they sold out, they were shit then, and that they never expected them to release an album compairable to the classic albums. Well, guess what? Who got the last laugh? The winy negative "hardcore" fans or the open-minded hopeful "Liberal" fans? Now you tell me that negativity hasn't changed with Death Magnetic. You tell me the fans weren't completely disgusted at their attempt to sue Napster, or the release of the documentary that showed the psycology bullcrap? NO SOLOS on St.Anger, bass played by Bob Rock, drums that sound like shit on 8 minute long songs that seem like an eternity. You tell me the fans liked that fucking album. It was much rarer to see a hardcore metallica fan appreciate St.Anger, Load an ReLoad than seeing a hardcore GnR fan appreciate CD. I guess you didn't see fans going to the streets to break their Metallica CDs on the news, did you?

Hardcore fans of anything take things to the utmost extreme. They lost a lot of them during Load/Reload, but gained tons of newer ones as well.

As for who go the last laugh, they all enjoyed Death Magnetic and went to the shows, so yeah, that answers that one. Just a big stadium full of last laughs.

The Napster thing, they weren't wrong. Music sales are all but gone, music stores are closing down, and the ones that remain open have to branch out to carry all kinds of other entertainment stuff, and their music sections have significantly shrunk.

Regardless of who did or didn't enjoy the documentary psychology, it was a great glimpse into the process that it took for Metallica to keep it together. Like the dude said "the work you're doing here isn't for this album, it's for the next one, and the ones after that." or something like that, i.e. Death Magnetic and onwards.

Metallica are fucking crap. A load of grizzley voiced puerile metal shite.

Sug, you're always going on about music that says something. Read their lyrics. Watch the video for ONE. There's a lot goin' on there beyond the loud raspy yelling...

Edited by moreblack

Mustaine wants to create a supergroup with Lars, James and David Ellefson. In fact it's a great idea.

LOL, are you KIDDING me??? we already have that band, except it's way better, and it's called Metallica. Mustaine is fucking looney if he thinks that would ever happen... I guess that's what years of severe crack addiction does to a person.

The same thing I've been saying really.They've been a nu band since 1998, really. They play their nu songs for a small portion of a show. How was I "exaggerating"? This bands been a band longer than classic band was. When you rely on the classics to the point where they pretty much make up your whole show, that's purely a nostalgia act. What say you?

It's BoBBo by the way.

Since this thread is about Metallica... Do you consider them a nostalgia act as well?

I mean, take the World Magnetic Tour. Six of the 25 most played songs on that tour was from Death Magnetic. I believe that's the norm for most bands touring on a new album.

For the record I myself consider Metallica a relevant band today.

'They are Guns N' Roses..'

Except their not :xmassrudolph:

'They are Guns N' Roses..'

Except their not :xmassrudolph:

Where is that ignore button everyone talk about? :shrugs:

Nicely worded and accurate on all counts :thumbsup:

It's BoBBo by the way.

Since this thread is about Metallica... Do you consider them a nostalgia act as well?

I mean, take the World Magnetic Tour. Six of the 25 most played songs on that tour was from Death Magnetic. I believe that's the norm for most bands touring on a new album.

Apples and oranges and you know it. Metallica releases music, and tours every few years. Three of the four members have played on every single album (yeah, I know about mustaine, but he never actually played on an album so I don't count em), and at least robbie boy has contributed to an album. Half of nu gnr is a cover band. Bumble, fortus, and frank BARELY contributed anything to chinese except bits and pieces of re-recording shit, and ashba hasn't contributed squat yet. AS OF NOW, and maybe somewhere down the road, it can change, they're just a cover band. How do you justify being a band for 14 years, much longer than the classic band was together, and only having a majority of anothers bands covers for your setlist? Its just laughable, I'm sorry.

Has metallica played the exact same setlist from 2001? How many albums have metallica released since 1993? How many original (and by "original", I mean members that have played on every album) members are currently in the band? How many times have they toured since 1993?

It's BoBBo by the way.

Apples and oranges and you know it. Metallica releases music, and tours every few years. Three of the four members have played on every single album (yeah, I know about mustaine, but he never actually played on an album so I don't count em), and at least robbie boy has contributed to an album. Half of nu gnr is a cover band. Bumble, fortus, and frank BARELY contributed anything to chinese except bits and pieces of re-recording shit, and ashba hasn't contributed squat yet. AS OF NOW, and maybe somewhere down the road, it can change, they're just a cover band. How do you justify being a band for 14 years, much longer than the classic band was together, and only having a majority of anothers bands covers for your setlist? Its just laughable, I'm sorry.

Has metallica played the exact same setlist from 2001? How many albums have metallica released since 1993? How many original (and by "original", I mean members that have played on every album) members are currently in the band? How many times have they toured since 1993?

We're into a whole different discussion here - whether or not we see this band as a cover band. I see this as Guns N' Roses.

"NuGuns" have released only one album, yes. Even I see that as way too little considering the timespan this line-up (post Slash/Duff) have operated. They should at least gotten three albums out by now.

But, going by the fact that there's only one album out so far, that's the material they have to use. There's probably more songs coming, but it would be wise to wait until they know the release date for certain, until they start unveiling them live. We don't need another Chinese Democracy where almost half the album was known for several years ahead of release.

Now, I don't expect them to play the whole album (CD) on every show. I think they provide a good mix from all albums.... almost. They could've played a little more from Use Your Illusion. Axl carried on under the Guns N' Roses banner, in my opinion it would be a major let-down to attend a GN'R concert without certain classic songs.

Has Metallica played the same setlist since 2001? No. Why has Guns had only Chinese songs as their new songs? Because that's the only new album they've been focused on during that period of time. I'm not happy about it, but that's the way it is. I'm sure neither Axl or the rest of the band are happy about it either as they've expressed several times.

Let's hope the next one will be less problematic, and I'm sure we'll see plenty more new songs in the setlist.

To sum up:

- You don't consider this Guns N' Roses and therefore it's not acceptable to play a lot of the old songs.

- I still consider this Guns N' Roses and have no problem with them playing the classics.

- We both want new material released.

It's BoBBo by the way.

you're right man.

It's BoBBo by the way.

We're into a whole different discussion here - whether or not we see this band as a cover band. I see this as Guns N' Roses.

"NuGuns" have released only one album, yes. Even I see that as way too little considering the timespan this line-up (post Slash/Duff) have operated. They should at least gotten three albums out by now.

But, going by the fact that there's only one album out so far, that's the material they have to use. There's probably more songs coming, but it would be wise to wait until they know the release date for certain, until they start unveiling them live. We don't need another Chinese Democracy where almost half the album was known for several years ahead of release.

Now, I don't expect them to play the whole album (CD) on every show. I think they provide a good mix from all albums.... almost. They could've played a little more from Use Your Illusion. Axl carried on under the Guns N' Roses banner, in my opinion it would be a major let-down to attend a GN'R concert without certain classic songs.

Has Metallica played the same setlist since 2001? No. Why has Guns had only Chinese songs as their new songs? Because that's the only new album they've been focused on during that period of time. I'm not happy about it, but that's the way it is. I'm sure neither Axl or the rest of the band are happy about it either as they've expressed several times.

Let's hope the next one will be less problematic, and I'm sure we'll see plenty more new songs in the setlist.

To sum up:

- You don't consider this Guns N' Roses and therefore it's not acceptable to play a lot of the old songs.

- I still consider this Guns N' Roses and have no problem with them playing the classics.

- We both want new material released.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. That's all we got with Nu G N' R. They had all the time to release several albums so far but everytime they come with a reason and/or an excuse not to do it. The difference between Nu G N' R and old G N' R is that the old band had the soul and passion to create music. Something this band definitily is missing. If Axl realy wants us to respect his band he had to grab his shit together and start releasing new music instead of taking profit of the old songs.