**FAQ UPDATE IN FIRST POST 6/16** Guns N' Roses Appetite For Democracy 3D Concert Film/DVD/Blu-Ray

rockfuel

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No, I saw it last night at the Chinese theater in Hollywood. I mentioned earlier that it looked like the audio was out of sync by a few frames the entire show. Frank hitting the drums, Axl's vocals, the guitar, etc. Everything seemed OFF by a few frames.

Wow, that would have been awful. Hopefully that was something to do with the theater since the trailers look to be synced up properly?

Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay to have it imported to Aus, and as data charges here are ridiculous, I won't be streaming a 3 and a half hour show everytime I want to watch it(probably alot), so I'm just gonna have to hope it ends up being available here.

I know $60 isn't that much money, but with a family on a tight budget, I can't justify that much for a DVD.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay to have it imported to Aus, and as data charges here are ridiculous, I won't be streaming a 3 and a half hour show everytime I want to watch it(probably alot), so I'm just gonna have to hope it ends up being available here.

I know $60 isn't that much money, but with a family on a tight budget, I can't justify that much for a DVD.

I'm getting my copy ordered to a US address and mailed privately to Australia. PM me if you'd like me to get a second one for you as well.

Happy for any Aussies to contact me for this; the more people I get on board, the less the cost of shipping will be as we can split it more ways.

• Like 1

I ordered mine from Amazon to Australia, and it only cost me $26.95 - why so much? Oh - priority mail I guess...

• Like 1

Guest Gunns

I'm getting my copy ordered to a US address and mailed privately to Australia. PM me if you'd like me to get a second one for you as well.

Happy for any Aussies to contact me for this; the more people I get on board, the less the cost of shipping will be as we can split it more ways.

Very cool of you hv!!!

I'm just happy to be able to buy a new guns n roses related concert. It will be nice to have the clarity and sound of a concert in hand. I wish it could have been a 2010 concert, but not disappointed by this. Can't wait to watch it all the way through.

Congrats to Rockfuel on getting this into our hands. I'm sorry the journey wasn't as smooth as you would have liked, but you got it to us. Any GNR release is a big deal, so thanks!!

• Like 1

I ordered mine from Amazon to Australia, and it only cost me $26.95 - why so much? Oh - priority mail I guess...

It's just Amazon's international shipping prices. They suck. :(

No, I saw it last night at the Chinese theater in Hollywood. I mentioned earlier that it looked like the audio was out of sync by a few frames the entire show. Frank hitting the drums, Axl's vocals, the guitar, etc. Everything seemed OFF by a few frames.

Wow, that would have been awful. Hopefully that was something to do with the theater since the trailers look to be synced up properly?

The first time I noticed it was when they had shots of Frank drumming, when he hit the drums...it didn't quite look right. Then when Axl was singing, it looked a bit off. At first I said to myself, well maybe they did ADR on that vocal, etc, or it was a bad edit when Frank was drumming. But it was consistent the entire show. Im sure the blu-ray is going to be 100% fine. I work in post production, so Im assuming that something happened when it was converted for screening in cinemas. I didn't hear anyone around me complaining, people were really enjoying it. But when I mentioned it to my friends about halfway through the show, they noticed it instantly. Still a cool experience. Looking forward to picking up the blu-ray.

It's just Amazon's international shipping prices. They suck. :(

Yeah, I've been importing a lot less since the postal rates went up last time, it now almost costs as much to ship as the CD/blu-ray cost themselves. and that's without customs. But if they release this blu-ray in europe, I'm sure it will still be cheaper to import than pay store price.

Great review from ozzstone over at cd.com

Thought I'd throw in a quick review while it's still fresh.

Just saw it in theaters. The theater had a whopping 7 people in it (myself and my friend included). No big deal for me, I like less people in movie theaters.

The 3D aspect of the show was awesome! Very well done. The film seems to be intended for 3D, not sure how it will look on a regular screen yet. Lots of Bumble and Ashba putting the headstock of the guitar straight into the camera and flicking guitar picks at it. Plus, unlike the London o2 concert, they actually show the guitarist who is playing the solo, which was awesome.

The version being shown in theaters is incomplete, however. It was missing songs that were listed on the DVDs track listing. Not a huge deal, I'll wait for the DVD for those.

The songs missing were:
Better
Motivation
Catcher In The Rye
Street of Dreams
Objectify *this one bummed me out because I'm a huge Bumblefoot fan...and because Ashba/Fortus/Dizzy's solos were shown*
The Seeker

It wasn't Axl's best vocal performance. Nothing major to complain about though. I like that there were no vocal overdubs to perfect it. Makes it much more raw and it's rare to find that in modern day concert films.

My only real gripe with the film was the audio mix. During Dizzy's solo, for example, once the rest of the band started jamming "No Quarter" with him, you couldn't hear the piano. It's possible that it was just the theater's sound system and it will sound better on the disc. Also, there was definitely a strong limiter/filter on Frank's snare drum. So when he would do rolls (especially in 'Estranged' and the intro to 'Rocket Queen') you would only hear certain hits, some off time, due to the threshold of the filter. I work in a recording studio, so I noticed it immediately, but it probably won't be noticed by everyone.

All in all, it was really cool! Excellent to see on the big screen. Well worth going to check it out. I can't wait for the DVD version to see it in its entirety!

That explains some of the sound issues people are talking about

Edited by Stealmylife
  • Like 1

I had a good time. The 3D was pretty cool. I was surprised there were several people. My non hard core GnR friend really liked it. I do think it was a stupid ass idea to cut Better and SOD for solos. They even kept Dizzy's solo. So, if this idea was rock fuel's idea..thank you for taking away my favorite Guns song.The sound at the theater was lame. They only used the speakers in the front. I will be buying the blu ray, well worth it.

Edited by batman007

Hey Batman, thanks for the positive feedback. I'm sorry the cinema audio system wasn't upto standards. UMG wanted to save some popular songs for the full length dvd release, which includes Better, so you will get that and its nicely produced. Glad you liked the film