May 13th, 2014 - Bethlehem, PA

Broskirose

The show is getting praised a good bit: http://loudwire.com/guns-n-roses-led-zeppelin-the-who-new-york-dolls/

I'll openly give Axl shit if I think he deserves it, and after the Brooklyn Bowl last year I was almost done with the band (and kind of wise for a little while). Not that the show was terrible or anything, but it was somewhat disappointing and had a lot more potential to be amazing. That's why I didn't go to the Governor's Ball show that I had a ticket for also.

At this show last night I could tell Axl was in a great mood from the start. He didn't talk to the crowd all too much, but he was in a very good mood and put on a great performance for what I could see (and hear occasionally - you don't hear the vocals all that much when you're so close). Watching these videos, he sounds a lot better than I thought he would to be honest, and sure, the show had it's little quips (Better, fumbling lyrics in YCMB), but overall, this was a very good show. I'd be saying the same thing had I not been there as well.

Also, I can say that I truly think Axl looked better last night than he did when I saw him a year ago. Whether or not he looks better than he did when they hit the stage in South America, I don't know. Based off of the pictures I saw from those shows, and what I saw from 5 feet away last night, I'd say he does, but I'm not going to get into that.

The show last night was great, honestly. Just an overall very solid show, the band was in a great mood and even the tour hands were as well (Tom Mayhue spent the last 5 songs or so just throwing DJ's own picks at him :lol:). Axl's little mannerisms here and there (i.e. the end of YCBM). Small little things like that add up for me personally and make for a great experience.

I don't think Axl is ever going to sound like he did in 2010 again, nor would I expect him to in all honesty, but I do think last night was the best he's sounded so far this year, and I'm not saying that just because I was at the show. Sure, we're setting new standards, but you have to or you're just going to keep bitching that he doesn't sound like he did 4 years ago. He doesn't sound like he did when you saw them in 2010? Awesome, but he also doesn't sound or look like he did when some people on here saw them on the Illusions tour, so? You have to set new standards when you know the old ones can't be met. I've watched videos from all of the shows so far and I think this one sounds the best. If he can at least keep this up for the next few weeks, I think a lot of people are going to leave the shows they attend please, as well as maybe even pleasing some of the assholes (there is a difference between being critical and just a plain asshole ;)) on here.

Greatly looking forward to the Vegas shows I'll be attending! :)

• Like 4

The show is getting praised a good bit: http://loudwire.com/guns-n-roses-led-zeppelin-the-who-new-york-dolls/

I'll openly give Axl shit if I think he deserves it, and after the Brooklyn Bowl last year I was almost done with the band (and kind of wise for a little while). Not that the show was terrible or anything, but it was somewhat disappointing and had a lot more potential to be amazing. That's why I didn't go to the Governor's Ball show that I had a ticket for also.

At this show last night I could tell Axl was in a great mood from the start. He didn't talk to the crowd all too much, but he was in a very good mood and put on a great performance for what I could see (and hear occasionally - you don't hear the vocals all that much when you're so close). Watching these videos, he sounds a lot better than I thought he would to be honest, and sure, the show had it's little quips (Better, fumbling lyrics in YCMB), but overall, this was a very good show. I'd be saying the same thing had I not been there as well.

Also, I can say that I truly think Axl looked better last night than he did when I saw him a year ago. Whether or not he looks better than he did when they hit the stage in South America, I don't know. Based off of the pictures I saw from those shows, and what I saw from 5 feet away last night, I'd say he does, but I'm not going to get into that.

The show last night was great, honestly. Just an overall very solid show, the band was in a great mood and even the tour hands were as well (Tom Mayhue spent the last 5 songs or so just throwing DJ's own picks at him :lol:). Axl's little mannerisms here and there (i.e. the end of YCBM). Small little things like that add up for me personally and make for a great experience.

I don't think Axl is ever going to sound like he did in 2010 again, nor would I expect him to in all honesty, but I do think last night was the best he's sounded so far this year, and I'm not saying that just because I was at the show. Sure, we're setting new standards, but you have to or you're just going to keep bitching that he doesn't sound like he did 4 years ago. He doesn't sound like he did when you saw them in 2010? Awesome, but he also doesn't sound or look like he did when some people on here saw them on the Illusions tour, so? You have to set new standards when you know the old ones can't be met. I've watched videos from all of the shows so far and I think this one sounds the best. If he can at least keep this up for the next few weeks, I think a lot of people are going to leave the shows they attend please, as well as maybe even pleasing some of the assholes (there is a difference between being critical and just a plain asshole ;)) on here.

Greatly looking forward to the Vegas shows I'll be attending! :)

That statement, so much. I had fun at the gig, but I wasn't expecting much from Axl's voice - even after the gig and before watching videos. I'm sitting there watching the videos and thinking, that sounds solid, that was cool, etc. Sure he doesn't sound as good as the standard some folks hold him to, but all in all I'd say this was, vocally speaking at least, one of the better gigs since 2011.

Better sounds good I think. Hilarious ending :D

Please tell me Ashba's contract ends soon! What on earth was he trying to do on Patience? Loved Tommy mockingly applauding him.

Don't get Axl's style at all. Oversized t shirts and undersized leather jackets wouldn't look good on anybody, add cowboy hats and a bandana hanging from his pants. Why?

#bringbackrobinfinck

I have to say watching the videos that from the front Axl could be done for 'indecent exposure' on one t-shirt - what on earth was that dangling from his nether regions?? :lol:

Better

2:42 - 3:02

:o That's some serious intermittent rasp.

The way he stands there when he realizes he fucked up at the end.... :lol:

I heard he was getting some static & that's why he stood back staring like that, can you explain what he did wrong as I can't pick it up despite watching it numerous times. Thx

Great performance, weak setlist. I was so disappointed with no Civil War. That's was the one difference I was expecting from the last show I went to (Wilkes-Barre, which also had a weak setlist compared to most of the other shows on that 2011 tour). I know it's dumb to feel let down by a 2 hour 20 minute concert but when you know other cities have gotten so much more, I can't help but wish they had done more. Oh well, at least I got to hear Catcher live for the first time. Also, I'm really impressed by how they go from one song to the next with only mere seconds of downtime. Back at the first Hammerstein show in '06, it seemed like a minute of silence and pitch black stage between each song, but they have that all fixed now. Not a huge thing, but it does make the concerts better.

Better

2:42 - 3:02

:o That's some serious intermittent rasp.

The way he stands there when he realizes he fucked up at the end.... :lol:

I heard he was getting some static & that's why he stood back staring like that, can you explain what he did wrong as I can't pick it up despite watching it numerous times. Thx

I don't know what you mean by static, but he sings the last verse way too early during what should be a "Nah, Nah" part. For some reason you can't hear that he's singing it, but he definitely is. Then, instead of singing it again at the correct time, he just hangs out in front of the drums and strikes an odd pose until the final "No one ever...." part.

• Like 1

He sounds better than he did in SA, but he does NOT sound great.

It's decent for the most part.

EDIT: I'm not hating or anything. I became a fan of GN'R because of Axl's rasp, it's still gone 75% of the time so I'm not really satisfied with this.

Edited by UcudBmine

Better sounds decent, maybe he is taking a while to work out the creases as he usually does, perhaps Golden Gods and SA was just a long ass process of rust... we could get 2012 kinda form which was decent, let's be honest the power and consistency he had in 2006 and 2010 was unreal and barely anyone can touch those kind of performances so it's a ridiculous high standard we hold him to but that's the price of being Axl and having such a rabid fan base. It's getting better though in some of these vids but he's still way off centre, I'm sure it's fine as hell if you're there every night, the guy always tries 100% regardless.

That Catcher was damn good too. I just lament for the fucking potential he has wasted for new beasts like CITR...

Guest NGOG

This is something I'd consider going to see, if he was consistently like this, and ticket prices were in the acceptable range or they were playing new songs.

A few pages ago you were labelling this band a 'joke', man. I'm glad that you've decided to you review your stance, B.

Check out this review: http://sightofsoundmagazine.com/2014/05/14/guns-n-roses-transform-bethlehem-into-paradise-city/

Edited by NGOG

Band is still a joke, but I'd consider going to see Axl if the price and distance were reasonable for a performance like Bethlehem.

After your luck with Terminal 5 and Brooklyn Bowl I think it's a guarantee that a show you go to won't be good :lol:

• Like 3