April 23rd, 2014 - Golden Gods - Los Angeles, CA - Axl receives "Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award"

I think it's naive to say that Axl will be influenced by what the vast majority of people percieve as his 'defining' songs. I personally believe it's highly unlikely that he won't play a song from Chinese Democracy.

It's a Lifetime Achievement award, not an eight years of your life award.

Those 8 years are the only reason he's being recognized. If you think it's for anything from CD, who is the one being naïve?

I'm not necessarily saying the organizers admire Chinese Democracy, but they named their award a certain way and Axl is entitled to accept it at face value.

It's not a GNR specific award, it's not a contribution to music award. It's a Lifetime Achievement award - so why would Axl refrain from representing a record that took up a large part of his life?

The crowd attending this thing is not the same type of crowd attending a GNR concert. They can play a few CD songs at their shows because they know people need bathroom breaks. But seriously, I don't see them boring the people there, or risking a lull in the momentum with a song many of them wouldn't know, especially if it's only 3 songs as mentioned.

They played Better at Bridge School. While they know the crowd attending is there for the hits I think Axl still wants to at least acknowledge the album he spent the greatest part of his adult life on. I'm guessing there will be just one song from ChiDem, either Better or TIL.

I think it's naive to say that Axl will be influenced by what the vast majority of people percieve as his 'defining' songs. I personally believe it's highly unlikely that he won't play a song from Chinese Democracy.

Those 8 years are the only reason he's being recognized. If you think it's for anything from CD, who is the one being naïve?

If he played Anything Goes would you complain? Because although on AFD, that song had zero impact and has had nothing to do with his achievements.

If he played Anything Goes would you complain? Because although on AFD, that song had zero impact and has had nothing to do with his achievements.

So it's just like CD then? Cool. We can agree neither should be played.

Axl should play whatever he wants to play.

He's going to play his hits. If there was one from CD, me and the rest of the world missed it.

Give the kid a break. He wasn't around back in the day like us bitter old-timers.

Quite bitter in your 30s, eh? Weren't you like 12 when you saw the band on the Illusions tour?

I sure hope someone can help record it, as I can't be in front of my computer (or phone) all the time these few hours to catch the live stream as I have other commitments unfortunately. And I don't want to miss seeing Axl getting the award and Guns (with DUFF!!) perform.

Reporting in. I'm in line now, but sorta wish I'd ended up with the black carpet access thing bc it looks like the fans will get to be VERY close/shake hands with-type closeness to everyone. Outside, the place is CRAWLING with rockers and fans and industry ppl etc. even if you're not a fan of anyone playing tonight, it's a cool as hell environment. But yea, I chose to get in line now rather than watch the black carpet from afar (farther than the fan access thing, which is still pretty close), bc I wanna try and get as close to the stage as possible.

Anyway, it's fucking awesome here. Spent the day on some beach in Malibu. Words can't describe how gorgeous the area is.

• Like 4

I'm not necessarily saying the organizers admire Chinese Democracy, but they named their award a certain way and Axl is entitled to accept it at face value.

It's not a GNR specific award, it's not a contribution to music award. It's a Lifetime Achievement award - so why would Axl refrain from representing a record that took up a large part of his life?

The crowd attending this thing is not the same type of crowd attending a GNR concert. They can play a few CD songs at their shows because they know people need bathroom breaks. But seriously, I don't see them boring the people there, or risking a lull in the momentum with a song many of them wouldn't know, especially if it's only 3 songs as mentioned.

They played Better at Bridge School. While they know the crowd attending is there for the hits I think Axl still wants to at least acknowledge the album he spent the greatest part of his adult life on. I'm guessing there will be just one song from ChiDem, either Better or TIL.

You seriously want to bring up Bridge School?

I think playing a cd song is inappropriate for this type of thing. This ceremony is very much about celebrating what Axl has done to make him well remembered in the industry. CD is not one of those things, no matter how long he tried being the little engine that could (but couldn't :lol:) It did nothing to make Axl further remembered and made no impact whatsoever for the general population this ceremony is geared for.

That being said, he'll probably play one nu song because it would make him look like his career has been a failure post 96 if he doesnt. Everyone knows nobody cares about nu stuff, but Axl seems to refuse to accept that reality. He has to live in la la land to function apparently, as playing nu songs at any "gnr" show at all is pretty pointless at this point. :shrugs:

My bets on Better.

Edited by Bobbo

You seriously want to bring up Bridge School?

Not saying it was a good performance, but I'm saying there's a precedent for playing a ChiDem song to an audience consisting almost entirely of casual fans. Even shows like L'Arc and the NY acoustic shows consisted almost entirely of people who could probably name 4 or 5 GNR songs in total.

I honestly don't think Axl really cares what the crowd expect of him. The night is honouring him - not the GNR catalogue, not the GNR legacy - so he can essentially do what he wants (which he would anyway).

It's not like they're going to riot if the band play Better; and it's not like Better is a downspirited song. It's very in line with the tempo of the 'hits'.

Edited by NGOG
  • Like 1

I don't see a situation where a Chinese democracy song isn't played...I'd be shocked if it didn't happen.

I hope he plays this I love and better and nails both of em!

In front of that crowd he would literally be laughed out of the building playing TIL.

If he's going to do that he might as well have a video board playing an accompanying Stephanie Seymour montage while he's at it.

I honestly don't think Axl really cares what the crowd expect of him. The night is honouring him - not the GNR catalogue, not the GNR legacy - so he can essentially do what he wants (which he would anyway).

It's not like they're going to riot if the band play Better; and it's not like Better is a downspirited song. It's very in line with the tempo of the 'hits'.

Bullseye. Axl does what he wants. It shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp.

I don't see a situation where a Chinese democracy song isn't played...I'd be shocked if it didn't happen.

I hope he plays this I love and better and nails both of em!

In front of that crowd he would literally be laughed out of the building playing TIL.

If he's going to do that he might as well have a video board playing an accompanying Stephanie Seymour montage while he's at it.

Hilarious. Hopefully TB doesn't make him play a stupid CD song.

It's not they're going to riot if the band play Better; and it's not like Better is a downspirited song. It's very in line with the tempo of the 'hits'.

The only reason he's being honored is because of GNR, not because he's Axl Rose. Without GNR there is no Axl Rose. If this was Ozzy then I'd get your point. He had a successful career outside of Sabbath. Skies the limit. Axl has only had a career with Guns, in essence it's one in the same.

No, no one will riot if they play Better, they'll just wait until it's over to hear a song they know and like.

Give the kid a break. He wasn't around back in the day like us bitter old-timers.

Quite bitter in your 30s, eh? Weren't you like 12 when you saw the band on the Illusions tour?

You got me there, Kid. Get back to me when I start telling people how bands were back in the day based on Youtube videos and magazine articles instead of actual memories. Edited by xGNRxSTARx

Bullseye. Axl does what he wants. It shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp.

Axl's legacy is the Gn'R catalog. It isn't like he's being given a humanitarian award like Bono.

Edited by xGNRxSTARx