Chinese Democracy Vs. A Different Kind of Truth

Chinese Democracy Vs. A Different Kind of Truth   

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's weird bcos I might like You and Your Blues and Blood and Fire as any CD track. But overall the albums aren't close. There's more to CD track to track there's more variety. Different is pummelling but Dave keeps you going with his worldly advice and solos are inventive.

I like ADKOT a lot, mainly due to the harder rock sound. I like the production value better on ADKOT as one of my biggest complaints about CD is it is overproduced. But Roth does not come close to Axl's vocals and CD is more epic, so it just depends on what mood I am in as far as what I like better. Both are great albums.

• Like 1

A Different Kind Of Truth is awesome. It picks up right where 1984 left off. The whole album is strong start to finish!

If you're a fan of the DLR Van Halen era, I don't know how you can NOT like that album. Dave lyrics are as great as ever, definitely a lot of his humour in them.

And Eddie Van Halen shreds like an absolute motherfucker on there!

The drums are great, and while I'd prefer Michael Anthony on bass, Wolfgang certainly holds his own.

It's a really great rock album, and definitely one of my favourites still.

CD while being great, I definitely have to be in a certain mood to listen to it.

With ADKOT, I can always put it on and it gets me in a good mood. My vote goes to the VH camp for all of these.

Maybe I should be on a VH forum instead then.... :lol:

• Like 1

I loved both versions of Van Halen and was eagerly awaiting this album.........but man, I was completely underwhelmed by it. I haven't even listened to it in probably six months. It was just pure blah. If they put out a new album I'll buy it the day it comes out. But I'll probably never purposely listen to DKOT again.

CD was 1000 times better. IMO.

I loved both versions of Van Halen and was eagerly awaiting this album.........but man, I was completely underwhelmed by it. I haven't even listened to it in probably six months. It was just pure blah. If they put out a new album I'll buy it the day it comes out. But I'll probably never purposely listen to DKOT again.

Pretty much...

I don't know how some of you can honestly say ADKOT is as good as 1984, or say "it picks up right where 1984 left off." 1984 is a freaking classic album, start to finish it is stellar. It also produced 4 crossover hits; jump, panama, hot for teacher, and I'll wait. Those songs OWN anything on ADKOT, it's not even a good comparision. Honestly the only DLR era album that can honestly be compared to it is Diver Down. The rest are FAR superior albums. Obviously it's all opinion, but those other albums are classics, while ADKOT will never reach that status, even if it was released in 1986, it would not of lived up to expectations.

Like I said, it's not a bad album, but it's not a good album either. It's just missing that vibe the boys had back in their day, and honestly I don't think they can get it back. Too much time has passed.

Honestly I would rather see VH keep DLR and also reunite with Sammy and Mike and do a super tour. Have Dave open with his solo stuff, then let Sammy do a solo set, then do a super VH show. Have each singer take turns for 2~3 songs, then let the other guy go. Do a tour like this every 3 years or so, until it's time to retire. It would be awesome.

• Like 1

Like I said, it's not a bad album, but it's not a good album either. It's just missing that vibe the boys had back in their day, and honestly I don't think they can get it back. Too much time has passed.

This is a big reason why I wouldn't want a GNR reunion. The magic is long gone and any new album will fail to live up to the lofty expectations that fans will have. And if they did get together and try to recreate some of the ol' AFD magic, guys in their mid 50's singing songs like Out Ta Get Me would just be embarrassing...it's already embarrassing that Axl still sings those songs with their juvenile lyrics now.

• Like 1

I think a reunion record might be like the best of what weve heard from post-Guns

Ghost

Slither

Better

Fall to Pieces

IRS

Shuffle it All

There was a Time

A side like that re-recorded in a more ballsy AFD/UYI if maybe a bit grittier could work.

In my opinion:

CD is a good album but VH album is awesome, hard rock fans want old sound and ADKOT is it, old VH sound, good melodies, good riffs and funny musical moments, I hope GNR will writte a hard rock album in the future.

Eddie Van Halen is for me, the best guitar player in Hard Rock History, the only virtuoso who i like in Hard Rock haha, i prefer to all GNR guistarist.

Axl Rose is better than DLR, Dave is a great frontman but he wasnt a great singer, in Hard Rock the best singers are Steven Tyler, Klaus Meine, David Coverdale and its possible Axl Rose, but no David Lee Roth, in fact i prefer Sammy Hagar. David Lee Roth is one of greatest frontman in History but his voice isnt powerfull.

• Like 1

Let me also add....

EVH owns Buckethead, Finck, BBF, Fortus, Huge, and also Ashba. He accomplished more on VH's first album than they did combined in their entire careers. But to be fair I do really like the guitar work on CD.

He's also a lot better than Slash.

Pretty much...

I don't know how some of you can honestly say ADKOT is as good as 1984, or say "it picks up right where 1984 left off." 1984 is a freaking classic album, start to finish it is stellar. It also produced 4 crossover hits; jump, panama, hot for teacher, and I'll wait. Those songs OWN anything on ADKOT, it's not even a good comparision. Honestly the only DLR era album that can honestly be compared to it is Diver Down. The rest are FAR superior albums. Obviously it's all opinion, but those other albums are classics, while ADKOT will never reach that status, even if it was released in 1986, it would not of lived up to expectations.

Honestly I would rather see VH keep DLR and also reunite with Sammy and Mike and do a super tour. Have Dave open with his solo stuff, then let Sammy do a solo set, then do a super VH show. Have each singer take turns for 2~3 songs, then let the other guy go. Do a tour like this every 3 years or so, until it's time to retire. It would be awesome.

ADKOT was released in 2012, so of course that album isn't going to have any cross-over hits. No veteran hard-rock band in this day of age will. ADKOT did what it was supposed to do--satisfy the band's hard-core fans and it delivered, IMHO. I would honestly rank it among the band's best work. I really hope that this lineup releases a follow-up. I like Sam--but DLR is Van Halen's true frontman.

Edited by RichardNixon
  • Like 1

Chinese Democracy is the best album since the 1991 Use Your Illusion albums. There Was a Time, Catcher in the Rye, Better, Prostitute, Shackler's Revenge, and Street of Dreams make this an all around amazing album. Haters are gonna hate.

Chinese Democracy is the best album since the 1991 Use Your Illusion albums. There Was a Time, Catcher in the Rye, Better, Prostitute, Shackler's Revenge, and Street of Dreams make this an all around amazing album. Haters are gonna hate.

CD didnt have a hit single in tne mainstream, i m not a hater, is reality, started in number 3 in USA and 2 in UK, not bad numbers but a energy GnR album can get better sells.

Eddie's playing is stellar on ADKOT. Chinatown and Big River kick the ass of any of the rockers on ChiDem.

David Lee Roth's lyrics are also miles better than most of Axl's efforts on ChiDem.

But I think the high points on ChiDem are higher (Namely Prostitute and Madagascar), not to mention the incomparable mastering.

Edited by EvH

Let me also add....

EVH owns Buckethead, Finck, BBF, Fortus, Huge, and also Ashba. He accomplished more on VH's first album than they did combined in their entire careers. But to be fair I do really like the guitar work on CD.

He's also a lot better than Slash.

Without a doubt. I love Slash's playing while he was in gnr, but (except for slither and a couple of other songs) his post gnr guitar work is pretty average tbh. I just doesn't do that much for me. I think it really highlights his weaknesses as a songwriter, and proves how important Izzy really was to gnr's success.

But beyond all that, EVH is the only guitar player in his band, while Slash has always relied on a 2nd guitar player. IMO thats what seperates the real men from the boys, handling lead and rhythm duties simultanously. Page did it, EVH did it, Hendrix did it, Gilmour did it, Randy Rhoades. Slash is not on their level IMHO.