Kanye West 2015 - "Only One" feat. Paul McCartney out now

bacardimayne

• 2 weeks later...

Dislike of hip hop as a whole is just subliminal racism.

There, I said it.

I think that statement is subliminally racist because it pre-supposes that hip hop is a black concern, which it's not. White people have been heavily involved in hip hop since it's inception, The Beasties, The Fat Boys, people like Malcolm McLaren, Rick Rubin, not to mention some of the earliest people that believed in it and put their money forward and worked to get this culture to a point where it's like THE international pop culture, without whom we probably wouldn't be sitting here talking about it. A lot of folks behind the scenes who quit REALLY good jobs to get behind this thing when it was nothing and worked their arses off through an entire decade of the 80s and ended up old hat before hip hops big massive heyday in the mid 90s, they made a commitment that resulted in their getting none of the riches or plaudits, just outta sheer love for the form. You don't have to be a racist to not like it, my Dad don't like it, he thinks it's a load of fuckin' shite and a bunch of arrogant morons thats babble unintelligible crap to a beat, the old West Indian guy in the street next to the one I'm on now Mr Brown don't like it, some people just think it's a load of fuckin' racket.

Thats like saying the reason i don't like metal is cuz it's made by white people...and you'd be correct :lol: Jokes jokes! :lol: This whole black art form thing, it's all cute and all well and good and i love hip hop and i love the people it came from and i love the people before the people it came from and even the people before them...in fact you could trace its lineage right the fuckin' way back to the blues and I'd still be an audience member but it's worth noting y'know that for everybody that throws their weight around with this whole white/black thing, we've heard hip hop because of white money and white investment, since we're being racially divisive here, lets do it properly, we've heard of the blues because people like Alan Lomax trekked around the country looking to preserve it, white people like Alan Lomax.

The way music gets from a small concentrated underground concern in some urban areas where 100 to 500 people have heard of it, to an international phenomena where people in Japan have heard of it is cuz of white money. Now you can call that exploitation but y'know what? There's degrees of that shit because is it really exploitation if ALL parties are profitting? 'But the white party profited more!' yeah but they fuckin' invest more, right? They're the money men.

Edited by Len B'stard

Dislike of hip hop as a whole is just subliminal racism.

There, I said it.

I think that statement is subliminally racist because it pre-supposes that hip hop is a black concern, which it's not. White people have been heavily involved in hip hop since it's inception, The Beasties, The Fat Boys, people like Malcolm McLaren, Rick Rubin, not to mention some of the earliest people that believed in it and put their money forward and worked to get this culture to a point where it's like THE international pop culture, without whom we probably wouldn't be sitting here talking about it. A lot of folks behind the scenes who quit REALLY good jobs to get behind this thing when it was nothing and worked their arses off through an entire decade of the 80s and ended up old hat before hip hops big massive heyday in the mid 90s, they made a commitment that resulted in their getting none of the riches or plaudits, just outta sheer love for the form. You don't have to be a racist to not like it, my Dad don't like it, he thinks it's a load of fuckin' shite and a bunch of arrogant morons thats babble unintelligible crap to a beat, the old West Indian guy in the street next to the one I'm on now Mr Brown don't like it, some people just think it's a load of fuckin' racket.

Thats like saying the reason i don't like metal is cuz it's made by white people...and you'd be correct :lol: Jokes jokes! :lol: This whole black art form thing, it's all cute and all well and good and i love hip hop and i love the people it came from and i love the people before the people it came from and even the people before them...in fact you could trace its lineage right the fuckin' way back to the blues and I'd still be an audience member but it's worth noting y'know that for everybody that throws their weight around with this whole white/black thing, we've heard hip hop because of white money and white investment, since we're being racially divisive here, lets do it properly, we've heard of the blues because people like Alan Lomax trekked around the country looking to preserve it, white people like Alan Lomax.

The way music gets from a small concentrated underground concern in some urban areas where 100 to 500 people have heard of it, to an international phenomena where people in Japan have heard of it is cuz of white money. Now you can call that exploitation but y'know what? There's degrees of that shit because is it really exploitation if ALL parties are profitting? 'But the white party profited more!' yeah but they fuckin' invest more, right? They're the money men.

White Jews that is!

*hides* :lol:

You can't say things like that outside of the context of a Middlesborough pub having a discussion with your mate Hans the German potman :lol: You leave them poor Jews alone! :lol: they would've been you lots target had us darkies not arrived to blacken these shores eh? :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

That's the same Len who rants about how Kanye isn't real hip hop because he doesn't wear the right clothes, right? :lol:

Where's the contradiction? :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Your claim that Kanye isn't real hip hop seems to come from a belief in a mythical purity to hip hop, while your posts in this thread are dedicated precisely to deconstructing any such narrative of purity.

Edited by magisme
  • Like 1

That's the same Len who rants about how Kanye isn't real hip hop because he doesn't wear the right clothes, right? :lol:

Where's the contradiction? :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Your claim that Kanye isn't real hip hop seems to come from a belief in a mythical purity to hip hop, while your posts in this thread are dedicated precisely to deconstructing any such narrative of purity.

You misunderstand me, it's not my claim, it's the reality of the community that hip hop comes from. It's just a fact. Hip Hop was founded on certain principles, certain philosophies, it was informed by things like the Black Panthers, the Nation of Islam, the 5% Nation, it was founded on these principles and grew in an urban envoirnment, to which it's dedication is considered how real or authentic it is or isn't (hence the whole 'being real' thing) and those simply are not compatible with it, it's not Len decree, it's got nothing to do with me, it's just the reality of what that thing is and i don't consider myself as having the right to sit there and say to those people, who fought to make this thing what it is 'this should be this way and that should be that way'.

It's something that comes hand in hand with these attempts to mainstream-ise it, divorcing it from the aspects of it that don't sit well with you. They tried to do the same thing with reggae and then someone like Shabba Ranks goes on TV and talks about the reality of what Rastafari and Reggae artists believe and think and suddenly it's this big evil thing.

Were it up to me, shit, everybody would be welcome, I'm a fan of the New York Dolls for crying out loud, how against men wearing skirts can i possibly be? It just doesn't work in a hip hop context, the only way that shit'll happen is when enough time passes that it's so far removed from the original peoples it came from that it ain't that thing anymore.

I just believe in respecting each thing for what it is and, if a thing is to evolve, its a natural process that happens under the auspices of those it belongs to, it's kinda presumptuous and insulting to go 'aha, those poor unenlightened urban underlings clinging to their quaint homophobia, THIS is the way it should be cuz we say so and we're the established order' 'but hold on a second, it was the established order that set these standards in the first place, thats where we got it from' 'well we've changed our minds now and so will you!'.

It has to come from the core is what I'm saying. You don't dictate these things to people. It's peoples beliefs and sometimes peoples beliefs are ugly. You try telling Jamaicans that they shouldn't be making music that says what their music says about gay people. Part of why i love hip hop and reggae (two genres that, by the way, are heavily intertwined, not least because a lot of the people that were there at it's inception were from Jamaica) is their honesty...even if that honestly is deeply unsettling sometimes.

But evolution is exactly what's happening, and the hip hop artists and writers who bemoan it are quite clearly swimming against the current. Kanye is here, and he's hardly the first not to fit that hip hop mold you're talking about.

For the record, I don't think evolution is inherently good, in any context, but it happens, it's happening.

• Like 1

But evolution is exactly what's happening, and the hip hop artists and writers who bemoan it are quite clearly swimming against the current. Kanye is here, and he's hardly the first not to fit that hip hop mold you're talking about.

For the record, I don't think evolution is inherently good, in any context, but it happens, it's happening.

Its AN evolution but i think its kinda up in the air as to whether it is a geniuine one i.e. the core is evolving...or is it just the layers on top, the sauce thats evolving? I'm not explaining myself well here at all but what I'm trying to say that it appears that this evolution is happening more with the Johnny-come-latelys and the mainstream veneer of hip hop as opposed to the core community. And based on that it remains to be seen how effective or lasting an evolution it is, or whether its an evolution at all or just the core community losing hip hop to the mainstream, which usually signals the beginning of the end for a movement, in terms of its substance as opposed to its immediate commercial viability.

Sometimes things evolve not because peoples minds change but because those old people die out...and i dont think thats always necessarily a good thing. The ridding of prejudice is but a lot more is lost also, like for example the authenticity of those people in relation to what they've created. It is their spirit that informed this music and i will be interested to see if the people who are taking up the mantle will have half the brains, balls and bravery to represent it as well as those other guys did. Whatever you or anybody might think of those old time mentalities and the people that held em they done that community proud and i have nothing but respect for em, this new crop, as far as I'm concerned, have something to prove.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1