Dj Ashba: The stuff I've written sounds like classic Guns N' Roses

Haha that AMA was a total fail. Minimal attendance or interest.

Hopefully this will help silence the people here who keep saying that DJ has a huge, colossal youth following.

DJ is totally unknown. Axl hired him because DJ is an incredible kiss ass, which Axl values above all else.

• Like 2

"Robert: When you’re playing with Guns N’ Roses or Sixx: A.M., what are a few things about the way you approach guitar playing, that you make it your own?

DJ Ashba: I’ve always had my own sound. It’s the same way with Sixx: A.M.

You can go back to demo tapes in the ’90s. And even though I wasn’t a pro player yet, I still had a certain sound that sounds like I play today. It’s a unique sound.

When you hear me solo, I just have a certain style of playing that’s my sound. With Guns, I approach that very differently. It’s me playing the early stuff, so it’s going to sound like me playing it. I try and stay as true to what was originally written as possible. That’s what I would want from anybody who stepped in those shoes."

Uhh... I'm not even gonna touch this.

"The songs are so classic, the solos are so classic, I really try and stay as true to those as possible."

But that is a blatant lie... God, I hope it is. I sure hope that what we hear isn't him trying his best to stay true to the songs. Cause if it is, his best sucks.

If this is true, you do a shitty job of it DJ; and if you think that, than you know this statement is more wishful thinking "

The stuff I've written sounds like classic Guns N' Roses"

The interesting part was that they want to get in before the end of the year, that's the first time anyone of them has made any reference to a time frame... even if it might be another pie-in-the-sky comment from Ashba.

not the first time, remember the Vegas residency 1 n 2.

Not sure how I forgot that, I certainly ranted enough after the fact. I remain with crossed fingers, toes and testicles in the hope that they do follow through though, I know the likelihood of anything happening is quite slim but it would be great for fans and would shut down the whole 1 album every 20yrs thing that runs riot on here and every online article about Axl or GnR. I'm remaining optimistic about some positive news about a new album in 2015 (for now).

"Robert: When you’re playing with Guns N’ Roses or Sixx: A.M., what are a few things about the way you approach guitar playing, that you make it your own?

DJ Ashba: I’ve always had my own sound. It’s the same way with Sixx: A.M.

You can go back to demo tapes in the ’90s. And even though I wasn’t a pro player yet, I still had a certain sound that sounds like I play today. It’s a unique sound.

When you hear me solo, I just have a certain style of playing that’s my sound. With Guns, I approach that very differently. It’s me playing the early stuff, so it’s going to sound like me playing it. I try and stay as true to what was originally written as possible. That’s what I would want from anybody who stepped in those shoes."

Uhh... I'm not even gonna touch this.

"The songs are so classic, the solos are so classic, I really try and stay as true to those as possible."

But that is a blatant lie... God, I hope it is. I sure hope that what we hear isn't him trying his best to stay true to the songs. Cause if it is, his best sucks.

If this is true, you do a shitty job of it DJ; and if you think that, than you know this statement is more wishful thinking "

The stuff I've written sounds like classic Guns N' Roses"

I would point out that 'classic GnR' can sound like a lot of different things, that runs the gamut of all cylinders rock and roll, souther rock, big epic ballads, and progressive rock (Garden, Locomotive, Estranged). Do I think Dj can write/demo a song as good as those on his own? no, maybe with the help of the other guys he can work some of his ideas into good gnr styled songs. I personally think they should stay away from anything 'classic' sounding and just make a good rock record with some ballads and few twists and turns... basically CD minus the over the top guitar playing as well as more focus on 'less is more'... speaking as a huge CD fan.

I think a song or two in style of the Illusions albums would be alright but trying to recreate the old with the new is a recipe for disaster in my opinion, and I don't think Axl would do that... wait!? didn't he re-record AFD with the new guys :P oh well!

• 2 weeks later...

I could buy it as in he doesn't write Korn type riffs, so he just plays riffs in the same vein as GNR and his solos like BOD aren't far off the Godfather. But from a demo through the whole GNR process is going to take a time?

I mean if they got Mike Clink for the self-titled and just said "UYI 3, a little more modern", drag it back of the ledge of CD.

But if Dj is swining he's eventually going to get a riff Axl likes so it's not impossible, but the spirit of AFD is out of the question. I think a more fun, horror rock n roll song from Axl n Dj could work. Like a Poison by Alice Cooper meets Motley Crue.

I don't think he meant he wrote AFD 2. I think he means it's similar cords in a different order, similar structures. They'll never capture the spirit, or get the interplay between Slash and Izzy and whatever else went into the debut.

At least he knows what he has to do: YCBM meets Eye of the Tiger.

I don't think he meant he wrote AFD 2. I think he means it's similar cords in a different order, similar structures. They'll never capture the spirit, or get the interplay between Slash and Izzy and whatever else went into the debut.

I'm sure he can come up with a riff Axl likes and I'm sure Axl can turn it to a good Guns song. Even with Dj's limited capabilities and shortcomings as a guitar player and a man, I'm sure.

Edited by Rovim

I'm sure he can come up with a riff Axl likes and I'm sure Axl can turn it to a good Guns song. Even with Dj's limited capabilities and shortcomings as a guitar player and a man, I'm sure.

Nightrain hasn't been mined for a song. Take the cords of Nightrain, reverse them. Daa da da d daaa, da da da daaaa da daaaaaaa - you're welcome.

possible titles: Greyhound Bus - about Dj and Axl's journey from Chicago to Las Vegas by bus sharing a bottle of jager.

We lost the bus

They don't know it's us

We lost the tour bus

So we took the bus (last greyhound bus!)

So we took the bus (last greyhound!)

Never bought a ticket!

Nightrain hasn't been mined for a song. Take the cords of Nightrain, reverse them. Daa da da d daaa, da da da daaaa da daaaaaaa - you're welcome.

possible titles: Greyhound Bus - about Dj and Axl's journey from Chicago to Las Vegas by bus sharing a bottle of jager.

We lost the bus

They don't know it's us

We lost the tour bus

Never bought a ticket!

That's interesting...I think DJ might have the right qualities as a collaborator to gingers. Melody he doesn't lack (trying to be objective here) he understands the structure of riffs and solos. He doesn't fuckin' hate pianos, he will do what you tell him to do. Nice eyes, horrid nipple tat, I really dislike his phrasing. How bout some push and pull in the solos dude? He broke a guitar on stage with Guns. Loves attention, and he does seem to fit image wise but also...he's comfortable up there, and gets the crowd going for the most part.

Maybe he can write really catchy, hooky tunes that will get Axl closer to the classic hard rock thing. Proper riffrock. Maybe him and Fortus will strike a nice balance of sounds. It's all possible if Axl really wants to do it, but...I mean, it's hard you know. He's rich as fuck, fucking models, and tours when he wants to make more money. CD ll is not even out yet. Can't look past it, it's too early to talk about what DJ can do for Guns. Will it even happen and all that.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I think DJ could write some killer Guns-songs. Him playing other peoples' material might be a bit so-so at times, but he really shines when it comes to his own stuff (Sixx AM and Beautiful Creatures).

It's odd how people's taste can differ completely from one to another. I think Sixx AM and Beautiful Creatures are both utter shit. You seem to think the complete opposite. Funny.

• Like 4

I think DJ could write some killer Guns-songs. Him playing other peoples' material might be a bit so-so at times, but he really shines when it comes to his own stuff (Sixx AM and Beautiful Creatures).

It's odd how people's taste can differ completely from one to another. I think Sixx AM and Beautiful Creatures are both utter shit. You seem to think the complete opposite. Funny.

Yeah it's not very good. It's a waste of time imo. Still, with Axl he might be able to finally make good music. And what about Neil Diamond?

People like this generic thing that Nikki still puts out. Sadly.

We lost the bus

They don't know it's us

We lost the tour bus

Never bought a ticket!

That's interesting...I think DJ might have the right qualities as a collaborator to gingers. Melody he doesn't lack (trying to be objective here) he understands the structure of riffs and solos. He doesn't fuckin' hate pianos, he will do what you tell him to do. Nice eyes, horrid nipple tat, I really dislike his phrasing. How bout some push and pull in the solos dude? He broke a guitar on stage with Guns. Loves attention, and he does seem to fit image wise but also...he's comfortable up there, and gets the crowd going for the most part.

Maybe he can write really catchy, hooky tunes that will get Axl closer to the classic hard rock thing. Proper riffrock. Maybe him and Fortus will strike a nice balance of sounds. It's all possible if Axl really wants to do it, but...I mean, it's hard you know. He's rich as fuck, fucking models, and tours when he wants to make more money. CD ll is not even out yet. Can't look past it, it's too early to talk about what DJ can do for Guns. Will it even happen and all that.

Working title: It's Not Gonna Happen.

I think he write a tune and isn't over trained on the guitar, so he's more of a stylist.

I think his twist on GNR is interesting. It's not too sloppy or too weird.

I don't mind he does interviews. Dj n Fortus do that stuff without making veiled comments about Axl. Dj is in training for CD III.

CD II in 2015.

Babylon is Fallen.

Well he's good at making weak imitations in Sixx:AM too. That Stars song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbjLTK2VYXA#t=115

actually sounds quite a bit like bullet for my valentine, whom I don't like much from either but it's definitely a better song and they are highly popular for obvious reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWxqd90-XWI