Major Life changes - Anybody experiencing them?

DirtyDeeds

I got a promotion and a raise at work. It's not like I'm going to go out and buy a Corvette and a mansion anytime soon, but it's definitely enough to take a bit of the pressure off for me financially on a month by month basis. I'll be taking a more hands on role in the station's day-by-day operations, and that's something that I've really been working for over the course of this crazy 8 1/2 year radio journey that I've been on.

Basically, it's nice to have my professional life sorted out for the time being. I've really started to have an appreciation for Central Pennsylvania over the last year or so, even though it'll be five years since I moved out here this coming May. Will I be here forever? Maybe not, but for the time being, I can look around at my surroundings and say that I'm alright with where I am right now. It took some crazy events in my life this past year to make that click in my head, but here I am.

Now that the stress of getting my professional life sorted out is off of my shoulders, I can focus on getting my personal life sorted out as well. That's even been going slightly better than it has been recently as well. I see the promotion at work giving me a little more confidence to get out there and make something happen in the dating / relationship world. I already took the chance of just randomly asking a listener for her number ( a HUGE step for me, trust me), and lo and behold, she gave it to me, and we've been texting back and forth a few days. Just small talk so far, but I'll see if she wants to go out on the weekend or something. That was simple enough. If I can do it once, why can't I do it again?

It's honestly kind of fitting that these changes are happening now as I slowly turn the corner to 30 (in July) - a fresh start to the next phase of my life isn't a bad thing. At all.

• Like 1

I see the promotion at work giving me a little more confidence to get out there and make something happen in the dating / relationship world. I already took the chance of just randomly asking a listener for her number ( a HUGE step for me, trust me), and lo and behold, she gave it to me, and we've been texting back and forth a few days. Just small talk so far, but I'll see if she wants to go out on the weekend or something. That was simple enough. If I can do it once, why can't I do it again?

That's weird. You post in a thread for MAJOR LIFE CHANGES about getting the number from a random listener to your radio show and suggesting the possibility of a romantic relationship, yet you've never laid eyes on this person to know if you're physically attracted to them, and have only just been texting each other? Haven't actually had a verbal conversation? That's not a major life change. Not even close.

I got a promotion and a raise at work. It's not like I'm going to go out and buy a Corvette and a mansion anytime soon, but it's definitely enough to take a bit of the pressure off for me financially on a month by month basis. I'll be taking a more hands on role in the station's day-by-day operations, and that's something that I've really been working for over the course of this crazy 8 1/2 year radio journey that I've been on.

Basically, it's nice to have my professional life sorted out for the time being. I've really started to have an appreciation for Central Pennsylvania over the last year or so, even though it'll be five years since I moved out here this coming May. Will I be here forever? Maybe not, but for the time being, I can look around at my surroundings and say that I'm alright with where I am right now. It took some crazy events in my life this past year to make that click in my head, but here I am.

Now that the stress of getting my professional life sorted out is off of my shoulders, I can focus on getting my personal life sorted out as well. That's even been going slightly better than it has been recently as well. I see the promotion at work giving me a little more confidence to get out there and make something happen in the dating / relationship world. I already took the chance of just randomly asking a listener for her number ( a HUGE step for me, trust me), and lo and behold, she gave it to me, and we've been texting back and forth a few days. Just small talk so far, but I'll see if she wants to go out on the weekend or something. That was simple enough. If I can do it once, why can't I do it again?

It's honestly kind of fitting that these changes are happening now as I slowly turn the corner to 30 (in July) - a fresh start to the next phase of my life isn't a bad thing. At all.

Go, go, go McCoy!

• Like 1

Didn't you just get a girlfriend, McCoy? You just tossed her away like a piece of trash?

Wouldn't say girlfriend...casually dating. Still talk to the girl daily and we get together when we can, but she's still getting over a rough breakup and wasn't looking for anything serious.

If she's up for something more in the future, we'll make it happen. If not? I'll take it from there.

I see the promotion at work giving me a little more confidence to get out there and make something happen in the dating / relationship world. I already took the chance of just randomly asking a listener for her number ( a HUGE step for me, trust me), and lo and behold, she gave it to me, and we've been texting back and forth a few days. Just small talk so far, but I'll see if she wants to go out on the weekend or something. That was simple enough. If I can do it once, why can't I do it again?

That's weird. You post in a thread for MAJOR LIFE CHANGES about getting the number from a random listener to your radio show and suggesting the possibility of a romantic relationship, yet you've never laid eyes on this person to know if you're physically attracted to them, and have only just been texting each other? Haven't actually had a verbal conversation? That's not a major life change. Not even close.

Wow. Way to ignore everything else that I wrote in that post. But go ahead and cherry pick the parts that you want. Why not?

In the summer I finished university, moved 600 miles away from almost all my family and friends and started my career as a vet...which all in all was a fairly major change :lol:

In a couple of months I'll be moving in with my boyfriend into our own place, which is not something I've ever done before.

• Like 1

To quench my constant drug related vices I've started taking anti-anxiety medications

lol048.gif

You guys all sound like you're settling down in your mid 20's

What a bunch of wusses

Nah my family and I have a history of anxiety related problems, so it never would have been unusual for me to take meds for it

6 months ago I was at the tail end of an internship at a volcano observatory in Western Mexico (for the ~2 people on here who weren't aware of that). I was doing the job I'd wanted to do since I was 3 years old (in fact, as long as I can remember) on the most active volcano in North America. I was having crazy, wild and sometimes dangerous adventures every week, I was seeing all sorts of volcanic phenomena and forming some great bonds with my co-workers. I was living in my own space, in a beautiful house, in an absolutely stunning and infinitely lovable city. I had a community of friends, both international and indigenous. I was in love, too...

Overnight, when I came home, I was broke, unemployed, living in my parents' house with absolutely no idea what my future might hold and I had my heart absolutely shattered. Sitting in the line at the job centre to collect unemployment benefit 3 weeks after I returned was possibly the absolute lowest I have ever felt in my life. Soon after, I found a retail job at a department store and I've worked there ever since. As a set of circumstances go, it's not so bad, my job is easy, I don't have to think about it when it's not there, it's part time, I have as much disposable income as I need really, I only tend to spend about 1/6th of what I earn a month, but just in comparison to what went before it's so cripplingly banal, I don't think I'll ever be satisfied. Romantically, I haven't met anyone I've been interested in since I left Mexico.

To get a job in volcanology, you really need a PhD, so I need to go back to Uni. To be honest, the sooner I can do that, the better. I loved university, I loved researching, I read volcanology papers on the train to work to try and give me some sense of still being in the game. There're just so many goddamn hoops to jump through in order to start doing a PhD, I just want to start! :P

The day I say goodbye to this phase of my life and get back on the volcano trail can't come soon enough! I'm hoping that will be the next "major life change".

Edited by Graeme
  • Like 2

6 months ago I was at the tail end of an internship at a volcano observatory in Western Mexico (for the ~2 people on here who weren't aware of that). I was doing the job I'd wanted to do since I was 3 years old (in fact, as long as I can remember) on the most active volcano in North America. I was having crazy, wild and sometimes dangerous adventures every week, I was seeing all sorts of volcanic phenomena and forming some great bonds with my co-workers. I was living in my own space, in a beautiful house, in an absolutely stunning and infinitely lovable city. I had a community of friends, both international and indigenous. I was in love, too...

Overnight, when I came home, I was broke, unemployed, living in my parents' house with absolutely no idea what my future might hold and I had my heart absolutely shattered. Sitting in the line at the job centre to collect unemployment benefit 3 weeks after I returned was possibly the absolute lowest I have ever felt in my life. Soon after, I found a retail job at a department store and I've worked there ever since. As a set of circumstances go, it's not so bad, my job is easy, I don't have to think about it when it's not there, it's part time, I have as much disposable income as I need really, I only tend to spend about 1/6th of what I earn a month, but just in comparison to what went before it's so cripplingly banal, I don't think I'll ever be satisfied. Romantically, I haven't met anyone I've been interested in since I left Mexico.

To get a job in volcanology, you really need a PhD, so I need to go back to Uni. To be honest, the sooner I can do that, the better. I loved university, I loved researching, I read volcanology papers on the train to work to try and give me some sense of still being in the game. There're just so many goddamn hoops to jump through in order to start doing a PhD, I just want to start! :P

The day I say goodbye to this phase of my life and get back on the volcano trail can't come soon enough! I'm hoping that will be the next "major life change".

You're a good dude, Graeme - you'll get a second go around on the dream gig. Just stay driven and focused, and you'll be rewarded for it. :thumbsup:

It'll come bud! And it'll be worth it - these times make us appreciate what we achieve more.

• 11 months later...