The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

47 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

OK this is driving me nuts, my 86 year old mother will drink half a beer and put the bottle back in the fridge and drink that half (flat beer) the next day. Its just disgusting...:facepalm:

I think the coldness of the fridge keeps the bubbles alive. 

There's a classic story where Noel used to put a fork upside down in bottle of opened champagne to keep it fizzy. His brother Liam came round and asked about it. Next time Noel went round to Liam's house he had a fork in a pint of milk. 

4 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

It didn't on the one she had the other day. I tasted it and spit it out. I don't think she put the cap back on the bottle :blink:

This will be on Mythbusters one day. 

Cider comes in 3 litre bottles with screw cap. Easy storage and a dog on a string. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2017 at 5:38 PM, Len Cnut said:

Im pretty sure Everclear is stronger, the first jar of shine i got was 65% alcohol, the one McLeod got me was 50, Everclears in the 90s if im not mistaken.  That Polish shit i got was 98%

it's 95% alcohol..Everclear i mean! omg 98%?? i would so die :lol:

oh it was your buddy @J Dog that messaged me about the 'shine being stronger, thought he knew but he may have been wrong *shrugs*

6 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

it's 95% alcohol..Everclear i mean! omg 98%?? i would so die :lol:

oh it was your buddy @J Dog that messaged me about the 'shine being stronger, thought he knew but he may have been wrong *shrugs*

I didnt think u could get stronger than 98 and 99.  I dunno though, i aint Mr Booze, i think i get the percentage shit (whats to get?) but all that proof shit i dont even get how it works?

Maybe when he talks about shine hes talkin about the shit they he and/or his mates personally make and not what soft English queerboys buy online :lol:  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I didnt think u could get stronger than 98 and 99.  I dunno though, i aint Mr Booze, i think i get the percentage shit (whats to get?) but all that proof shit i dont even get how it works?

Maybe when he talks about shine hes talkin about the shit they he and/or his mates personally make and not what soft English queerboys buy online :lol:  

In america alcohol proof is twice the percentage of ABV (e.g. Bacardi 151 has the proof level of 151 / 75.5% alcohol by volume). And it is not possible to get 100% pure ethanol. Anything purer than 98% likely contains impurities which can make it toxic (or at least, more toxic than it already is).

I really don't see that fascination with high ABV anyway. For me the optimum level of drunk is somewhere between a nice buzz and puking you guts out. I find that I don't need anything stronger than standard 40% ABV whiskey to achieve that.

20 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

In america alcohol proof is twice the percentage of ABV (e.g. Bacardi 151 has the proof level of 151 / 75.5% alcohol by volume). And it is not possible to get 100% pure ethanol. Anything purer than 98% likely contains impurities which can make it toxic (or at least, more toxic than it already is).

I really don't see that fascination with high ABV anyway. For me the optimum level of drunk is somewhere between a nice buzz and puking you guts out. I find that I don't need anything stronger than standard 40% ABV whiskey to achieve that.

The ABV is a very strong factor in the taste. In whisky and gin/jenever anyway. It's all chemistry. For example, at a higher ABV you often keep some oils and fatty acids in the drink that don't disolve in water as easily. This gives you a very different mouth feel. It coats the mouth and the flavour often hangs in your mouth longer. Personally I really like that. Water also breaks certain alcohols and can allow esters to form (or just take a more prominent place on the palate). It can really bring out some more subtle fruity flavours. Which can drastically alter the taste (for better or for worse, stronger is by no means always better). Some whisky really opens up when you add some water. Even adding water in your glass is essentially a form of bringing the ABV down to experience a different flavour. The compounds that result in a smokey flavour are often very water-soluble. So a very smokey phenolic character is often strongly reduced when the ABV goes down. I think it's incredibly interesting actually. The science behind it, but also the noticable effect on the taste of your drink. :) It's not about getting shitfaced, it's about the complexity of the drink and brining out what you enjoy most. 

Edited by username

22 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

Nice Indian girl like you talkin' about drinking?  Tut tut, wait til i tell pitajee :lol:

46 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Nice Indian girl like you talkin' about drinking?  Tut tut, wait til i tell pitajee :lol:

LOL! Who do you think gave me my first tumbler of whiskey? ;)

51 minutes ago, username said:

The ABV is a very strong factor in the taste. In whisky and gin/jenever anyway. It's all chemistry. For example, at a higher ABV you often keep some oils and fatty acids in the drink that don't disolve in water as easily. This gives you a very different mouth feel. It coats the mouth and the flavour often hangs in your mouth longer. Personally I really like that. Water also breaks certain alcohols and can allow esters to form (or just take a more prominent place on the palate). It can really bring out some more subtle fruity flavours. Which can drastically alter the taste (for better or for worse, stronger is by no means always better). Some whisky really opens up when you add some water. Even adding water in your glass is essentially a form of bringing the ABV down to experience a different flavour. The compounds that result in a smokey flavour are often very water-soluble. So a very smokey phenolic character is often strongly reduced when the ABV goes down. I think it's incredibly interesting actually. The science behind it, but also the noticable effect on the taste of your drink. :) It's not about getting shitfaced, it's about the complexity of the drink and brining out what you enjoy most. 

Well that makes a lot more sense. Usually I the only people I hear talkin about moonshine are 15-20 year old assholes who are only interested in getting shitfaced. 

9 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

LOL! Who do you think gave me my first tumbler of whiskey? ;)

Well that makes a lot more sense. Usually I the only people I hear talkin about moonshine are 15-20 year old assholes who are only interested in getting shitfaced. 

Tumbler?!?  Fuckin' hell girl :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

he did seem to know quite a bit about it, told me was was "sippin' it" NYE and that the smart redneck boys are making it smoother and that might not necessarily be a good thing :lol:

2 hours ago, username said:

So true! I really like to pour some spring water into my single malts and experiment with it, a whole world of different tastes. :)

29 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

So true! I really like to pour some spring water into my single malts and experiment with it, a whole world of different tastes. :)

I am on the cautious side with it. ;) I always give it a try. But that's usually adding 2 or 3 drops on a 30ml glass. I never really add a small pour. In my opinion that usually kills it instantly. But a few drops can really open a strong whisky up. That and warming it up in your hand and just giving it some time. :) But it's great to just see how it develops. In my experience it also really helps with a very old whisky. But again, I'm always very cautious about the amount. 

Just now, username said:

I am on the cautious side with it. ;) I always give it a try. But that's usually adding 2 or 3 drops on a 30ml glass. I never really add a small pour. In my opinion that usually kills it instantly. But a few drops can really open a strong whisky up. That and warming it up in your hand and just giving it some time. :) But it's great to just see how it develops. In my experience it also really helps with a very old whisky. But again, I'm always very cautious about the amount. 

Alright, dropping probably would've been the better term. ;)

I'm cautious myself, so we absolutely agree on that.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2017 at 5:53 PM, Powerage5 said:

I had a bottle of that once, fucking disgusting. Took it to a party and left it on the booze table, had no desire to finish it. Not big on any of Smirnoff's vodkas actually. 

i bought a bottle of vodka for Christmas...the party i had Christmas Eve and then i make this kinda like an Orange Julius with booze for Christmas brunch. anyway i was at the liquor store and they were out of the kind i like so i was talking to the owner asking what would be the closest thing to that. he pointed to Smirnoff's and right away i said oh no, i can't drink that, it makes me sick. he told me you would not believe the number of people who say that about it! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i bought a bottle of vodka for Christmas...the party i had Christmas Eve and then i make this kinda like an Orange Julius with booze for Christmas brunch. anyway i was at the liquor store and they were out of the kind i like so i was talking to the owner asking what would be the closest thing to that. he pointed to Smirnoff's and right away i said oh no, i can't drink that, it makes me sick. he told me you would not believe the number of people who say that about it! 

My go to for moderately priced vodka is Russian Standard. You can get a 1.75 for like $30. I'll do Pinnacle if I'm on a tight budget. 

• Like 1

http://www.avclub.com/article/thank-fuck-someone-made-better-shower-beer-248275

Sweden perfected the shower beer. 6oz bottle makes it easier to finish before the hot water runs out, but the beer has 10% ABV so it packs the same punch as a full sizer.

Oh, its also designed to be a conditioner, and no thats not a joke. Pour a splash of that boy in your hair to have it looking smooth and healthy :lol:

On 1/10/2017 at 9:29 AM, Len Cnut said:

Proof nowadays is just double the ABV figure. The actual origin of the "proof" was a way in which sailors who were given a rum ration back in the day would test it to check it hadn't been watered down. They would pour the rum over some gunpowder and try to light it. If the powder didn't light the rum was shit. 57.15% alcohol by volume is the minimum concentration at which the gunpowder would light so 57.15% ABV was classed as 100% proof. ;)

On 1/10/2017 at 2:47 PM, KiraMPD said:

Not necessarily true. It's entirely possible to get above 99% to pretty much 100% purity without additives or impurities. I'm pretty sure I could do it myself fairly simply given the correct lab set-up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Not necessarily true. It's entirely possible to get above 99% to pretty much 100% purity without additives or impurities. I'm pretty sure I could do it myself fairly simply given the correct lab set-up.

Okay, I'll correct myself. Yes, it is possible to have ethanol above 99%, but 100% ethanol is very difficult to achieve and store in that anhydrous state. The methods used to achieve >95% ethanol leave trace impurities which means that even the absolute ethanol I buy from Sigma is actually 99.99% ethanol.

1 minute ago, KiraMPD said:

Okay, I'll correct myself. Yes, it is possible to have ethanol above 99%, but 100% ethanol is very difficult to achieve and store in that anhydrous state. The methods used to achieve >95% ethanol leave trace impurities which means that even the absolute ethanol I buy from Sigma is actually 99.99% ethanol.

Isn't that generally because the method used to break the azeotrope involves adding impurities? You could do it via a pressure swing distillation and the only impurity would be water. Problem is that it costs a fucktonne more to do it that way. :lol:

1 hour ago, Dan H. said:

http://www.avclub.com/article/thank-fuck-someone-made-better-shower-beer-248275

Sweden perfected the shower beer. 6oz bottle makes it easier to finish before the hot water runs out, but the beer has 10% ABV so it packs the same punch as a full sizer.

Oh, its also designed to be a conditioner, and no thats not a joke. Pour a splash of that boy in your hair to have it looking smooth and healthy :lol:

beer has been a well known hair conditioner for years :) what i want ( and it's on my bucket list ) is to go to one of those swim up bars :lol: