What are you eating?

inthisriver

15645DDC-3859-4C97-AB86-3206FBC21E1F_zps

Yummy!!!!

You're going out for meals while your wife sits there in discomfort?
Or rather sits across the table from me eating her breakfast too.
False alarm having mother fucker.
She was the one who actually wanted to go out for breakfast on the way to the hospital so my conscience is clear. :lol:

Just tasted this year's lammerull.

2014-12-05072659.jpg

....What am I looking at here? :lol:

Well, McCoy, this is one piece of meat you'd have to travel to Norway to stuff in your mouth ;).

It's the Norwegian speciality lammerull ("roll of lamb"). You take the inner parts of the skin of a lamb and sew it into a pocket. Then you fill the pocket with assorted pieces of lamb meat that is cut into strips layered with spices and gelatin. You then close the pocket with more sewing so it forms a large sausage. Put it in brine for 10 days, Boil it for some hours and press it over night. Voila! Lammerull. It's a Christmas speciality.

Just tasted this year's lammerull.

2014-12-05072659.jpg

....What am I looking at here? :lol:

Well, McCoy, this is one piece of meat you'd have to travel to Norway to stuff in your mouth ;).

It's the Norwegian speciality lammerull ("roll of lamb"). You take the inner parts of the skin of a lamb and sew it into a pocket. Then you fill the pocket with assorted pieces of lamb meat that is cut into strips layered with spices and gelatin. You then close the pocket with more sewing so it forms a large sausage. Put it in brine for 10 days, Boil it for some hours and press it over night. Voila! Lammerull. It's a Christmas speciality.

I don't recall ever having lamb in my life (Unless it's been part of a gyro perhaps), but that sounds pretty damn good, even if looks bizarre as hell! :D

The Norwegian topography lends itself nicely to having lambs, so we eat lots of them, especially during holidays when we typically eat traditional foods (to replace the pizzas, tacos and fast food we otherwise eat). And also in the fall when the slaughter of lambs take place. Leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary is a classics, salted leg of lamb that is slow-cooked for a day or more is even better, får-i-kål, lamb chops and of course lammerull and many more. Up north where my wife comes from they usually use the water from the boiling of the lammerull as part of a traditional dish where they soak flat bread in the brine, often together with reindeer meat.

• Like 1

The Norwegian topography lends itself nicely to having lambs, so we eat lots of them, especially during holidays when we typically eat traditional foods (to replace the pizzas, tacos and fast food we otherwise eat). And also in the fall when the slaughter of lambs take place. Leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary is a classics, salted leg of lamb that is slow-cooked for a day or more is even better, får-i-kål, lamb chops and of course lammerull and many more. Up north where my wife comes from they usually use the water from the boiling of the lammerull as part of a traditional dish where they soak flat bread in the brine, often together with reindeer meat.

I...um...had a chicken sandwich tonight. You win this round. :lol:

How is lamb? I've never had it.

Sheep tend to have an acrid taste, especially in the fat. Lambs are better but depending upon how it is prepared some people might still not like that "lambish" taste. I don't mind. My favourite is perfectly cooked leg of lamb with lots of garlic and rosemary. You have the crisp skin on the outside, a layer of fat underneath, and then succulent, juice and very tender flesh underneath. Weirdly, it sort of reminds me of whole-grilled, wild piglets.

Oh, I forgot to mention "fenalår", another traditional lamb preparation we mostly eat for Christmas. It is basically just cured (fried and salted) leg of lamb and you might think it would be similar to a good prosciutto but it is really hard to eat and has a much stronger flavour. We would place a leg on the table with a sharp knife so everyone can carve out pieces and eat it as it is swilled down with strong beer.