Valentine's Day

Black Sabbath

My husband bought a bottle of champagne because it has our surname on the front. He's also bought me a card. Both these actions are far more effort than he's ever made before.

I've got him a card and a chocolate heart-shaped lollipop so far. I really need to up my game now.

I think he'll be cooking dinner, we don't want to go out on Valentine's day.

We don't make a big deal out of Valentine's day.

Any douche with a credit card and cell phone can have flowers sent to his spouse on VD. It always cracks me up to see how freaked out some women get on Valentine's Day because they got flowers or a box of candy and card. Wow, so your husband spent 30 seconds on the phone getting you flowers and spent $12 at the grocery store getting you candy and a mass produced card. Dang - how romantic.

Send flowers to your wife's work, buy her a nice gift and take her out to dinner on a day she doesn't expect it - like July 12th - that's a nice thing to do. But being obligated to do something on a specific day - where is the romance in that?

While I agree that there should be more thought and sentiment towards gifts on Valentine's Day, I don't agree with the "obligated to do something on this day" thing. That could apply to almost any holiday, especially gift-giving ones. That's why typically, I try to make things for people instead of just buying them some run of the mill gift or card. I like to give them something that they think "Wow, he actually thought about me and took the time to find something or make something just for me".

I feel this way about Christmas and birthdays too. I don't want to get someone a gift because I'm obligated to, I want to get them a gift because I was thinking of them on some random day or saw something they'd enjoy.

• Like 1

Any douche with a credit card and cell phone can have flowers sent to his spouse on VD. It always cracks me up to see how freaked out some women get on Valentine's Day because they got flowers or a box of candy and card. Wow, so your husband spent 30 seconds on the phone getting you flowers and spent $12 at the grocery store getting you candy and a mass produced card. Dang - how romantic.

Send flowers to your wife's work, buy her a nice gift and take her out to dinner on a day she doesn't expect it - like July 12th - that's a nice thing to do. But being obligated to do something on a specific day - where is the romance in that?

While I agree that there should be more thought and sentiment towards gifts on Valentine's Day, I don't agree with the "obligated to do something on this day" thing. That could apply to almost any holiday, especially gift-giving ones. That's why typically, I try to make things for people instead of just buying them some run of the mill gift or card. I like to give them something that they think "Wow, he actually thought about me and took the time to find something or make something just for me".

I feel this way about Christmas and birthdays too. I don't want to get someone a gift because I'm obligated to, I want to get them a gift because I was thinking of them on some random day or saw something they'd enjoy.

Exactly.

Valentine's Day has no special meaning or attachment like a birthday or anniversary. I'd say the "card" industry has as much to do with VD being a special day as anything. I always chuckle at the women in my office or female friends on facebook that freak out because their loving husband sent them flowers on VD. So on a day that he pretty much HAD to send you something, your hubby whipped out his debit card and made a three minute phone call to a flower shop. Ya buddy, the romance gets no higher than that!!!!

Fuckin' miserable bastards :lol: Truth of it is you're all just tight, aren't you? Tight as a fuckin' snare drum, the lot of ya :lol: It all comes down to 'commerce', mildly disguised as a point of principle it just means you tight-fisted bunch of Fagins don't fancy putting your hands in your pockets. It's just going out your way and laying out a bit of cash to make someone happy momentarily, don't be such effing grinches :lol:

'i don't need a special day to show you i love you babyyyy', go on then, buy her presents every day then :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Fuckin' miserable bastards :lol: Truth of it is you're all just tight, aren't you? Tight as a fuckin' snare drum, the lot of ya :lol: It all comes down to 'commerce', mildly disguised as a point of principle it just means you tight-fisted bunch of Fagins don't fancy putting your hands in your pockets. It's just going out your way and laying out a bit of cash to make someone happy momentarily, don't be such effing grinches :lol:

'i don't need a special day to show you i love you babyyyy', go on then, buy her presents every day then :lol:

That's the point!

I buy flowers, candy, cards, etc throughout the year. Not just on the day I'm "obligated" to do it.

We both work on Valentine's Day, so we are celebrating a day early. I am taking her on a day trip a couple hours away to a beach on the Gulf Coast. While there, we will go to a rooftop revolving restaurant for lunch. We're both pretty broke right now after moving and only having just started working after graduation, so it's not much, but it will be a fun experience.

A

Exactly.

Valentine's Day has no special meaning or attachment like a birthday or anniversary. I'd say the "card" industry has as much to do with VD being a special day as anything. I always chuckle at the women in my office or female friends on facebook that freak out because their loving husband sent them flowers on VD. So on a day that he pretty much HAD to send you something, your hubby whipped out his debit card and made a three minute phone call to a flower shop. Ya buddy, the romance gets no higher than that!!!!

A nice box of choccies and a bit of thought into it and everyone's happy. Talk about the card industry and she'll dry up quicker than a nuns chuff.

Last year, I spent the morning flying round an erupting volcano in a Cessna and the evening camping on said volcano with a large collective of beautiful women. Today, the most exciting thing I've done is watched spunko's video of the machine that eats everything.

Edited by Graeme
  • Like 2